Iron Mike okayed to fight in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Mike okayed to fight in Hawaii

I'm proud of my colleagues for breaking this story in Hawaii and wanted to share it with you. (I tried to insert these as links using the icon thingies and I wasn't sure I was doing it right ... )

http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/18/news/story5.html

Stellar Star-Bulletin columnist Kalani Simpson on the possibilities:

http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/18/sports/simpson.html

I'm also stoked for Tom Moffatt -- a promoter of concerts and boxing events who is NOT crooked (what a concept!).
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Re: Iron Mike okayed to fight in Hawaii

Wow. I don't really know where I stand on Mike Tyson as a sports figure, but I definitely agree, this is a capital-e "Event" for Hawaii. The behind the scenes wheeling and dealing that the Star-Bulletin was privvy to and touched on in both articles is especially intriguing. And Tom Moffatt? First talking the American Idols tour into taking a chance on Hawaii (which delivered record sellouts) and now this? Voodoo indeed.

Anyone know if those State Boxing Commission meetings are open, or more importantly, genuine inquiries rather than rubber-stamp affairs?
    Although its enthusiasm was evident during the meeting, the commission made it clear that Tyson must meet all Hawaii state law requirements, including a physical and a personal appearance in front of the State Boxing Commission, to be licensed.
    I mean, is someone actually going to ask about his appetite for ears or not?

And the hybrid, K-1 (mixed martial art) and conventional boxing mix is pretty interesting.

Moffatt envisions a full card of six to eight fighters -- local names like Brian Viloria, Teddy Limoz and Samson Po'uha were mentioned as undercard possibilities -- in boxing matches preceded by a like number of K-1 fights possibly including Bob Sapp and Akebono.
    Sheesh. Talk about a pay-per-view K.O.

Comment

It's interesting that Talkstink.com didn't provide a link to the SB's story despite our being the ones that broke it (replete with commentary in the sports section).

And yes, I tried to write to the site, but for some reason nothing works there (he writes, in osX on Netscape - yeah, people actually still use it).

Comment

If this holds up, all sports news other than Tyson on KITV will be ignored for the entire lead-up to the fight. Robert Kekaula has what I think is an unhealthy fascination with Tyson, and he's abetted by Gary Sprinkel (why can't I remember which way he spells his name???).
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Just happen to discover this thread while I was looking around. Has this fight been scheduled? Wow...good for Hawaii if this comes to reality. I don't think Tyson is allowe to fight here in Vegas. Cool Beans
          La'akea

Comment

Hey, that's right... wasn't this supposed to be this month? It completely dropped off the radar after it was announced, although I remember the K-1 community being pretty split over whether the fight was a good thing or bad thing for the sport.

Oh, wait:

Adviser says Tyson will not fight in Hawaii
            Mike Tyson's proposed fight in Hawaii may end up being contested where so many of Tyson's other fights have been held -- in the court room.

Comment

It's funny that people still want to fight him. After his dubious actions inside the ring. If i was fighting him. I'd make sure to tape my ears back.

Comment

Working...
              X