Punee anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punee anyone?

Does anyone know where to buy a punee here in Honolulu? I'm looking but am not having any luck. Suggestions would be welcomed. It doesn't have to be new - main thing is the frame. Mahalo for any help.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: Punee anyone?

A punee? A punee? Hmm. What would differentiate a "Hawaiian day bed" from a conventional sofa or couch? The wood? The shape of the frame?

Comment

In a previous home I had a punee in the living room. It was a double bed with fitted cover and bolsters. It doubled as a guest bed.

Comment

I stayed at a cabin in Kauai and was told the living room had three punees. We got up there and they were three single beds with covers and lots of throw pillows.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

yes - that is probably what I will end up doing.

PZ - you can close this thread.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

If you haven't given up yet, check out McClain's Auctions. Everytime I've been in there I've seen at least a couple. The prices varied, but some were in the price range of a new twin or double bed. Also, and these were more expensive, I've seen a comparable item in one of the design shops (don't recall the name) at Gentry Design Center. It's the one specializing in Southeast Asian imports.

Comment

I was serious in my query. What makes a pūneʻe a pūneʻe, versus a tropical-esque sofa or couch? (I thought initially punene was a Hawaiian word, but my thoughts were similar to scrivener's reported experience, in which any ol' sofa from Home World with a banana leaf print could be called a pūneʻe.)

Is it the wood? The square-ish nature of the frame (one commonality in some of the photos I've found)? Is it its "movability"? (The ulukau online dictionary defines pūneʻe as "movable couch.")

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a style of seat or bed that's considered particularly Hawaiian, or if it's just the Hawaiian word for any ol' day bed you'd get in a hotel as an "extra" sleeping or sitting spot in a room.

ETA: Ah! Not surprisingly, someone at the Star-Bulletin ventured near the same question last year, examining a Bishop Museum mini-exhibit called "Hawai'i -- A Sense of Place":
              One whole section is devoted to the punee, the combo sofa-and-bed that is a favorite resting place in old-style homes, provided there's enough space. Several examples are shown, each of which makes you want to stretch out on them. But I can't tell from the limited signage whether the punee is a Hawaiian furniture item that has evolved or an imported concept from abroad that was Hawaiianized. A comfortable place to stretch out at midday, though -- good idea, whoever had it.
              Not that it answers the question. But I don't feel so stupid for not knowing what a pūneʻe is!

As it turns out, I linked to the website for the book behind the Bishop Museum exhibit above. But similarly, detail is lacking.
              Last edited by pzarquon; December 22, 2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Wow, PZ, that furniture is nice stuff. A great mix of Mid Century Modern and island style. Nice clean lines, minimalist, but with nice touches Hawaiian style. I would put that stuff in my home for sure.

Probably cost a bunch.
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I didn't give a description since I assumed most of us "locals" would already know what I'm looking for - since most of us have had them in our homes at one time or another.

The one I used to have was a box type of frame that you put a mattress into. Some others I've seen were more one piece, kind of upholstered.

I've found a place here on Sand Island that builds them but they are more $$$ than I want to spend. My next step is to start looking at classified ads again.

I just thought someone on here might be able to help out. I want something that is more comfortable than my current love seat, which has had it's wooden legs attacked by termites . I remembered my old punee and decided that is the kind of piece I'm going to get - if I can find one. If not, I'll do like what Scriv described - just throw a cover on a twin bed & pile it with pillows!
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I didn't give a description since I assumed most of us "locals" would already know what I'm looking for - since most of us have had them in our homes at one time or another.
                    Well, I'm definitely an inadequate "local." Or at least don't have much interior design talent in my genes! Lacking an answer, it was at least fun learning for myself... even if, in the end, it seems hard to define -- even if everyone knows what it is!

Comment

Well, I'm definitely an inadequate "local." Or at least don't have much interior design talent in my genes! Lacking an answer to my question, it was at least fun Googling and learning for myself. Even if, in the end, it seems hard to define -- even if everyone knows what it is!

Comment

Here's a nice one from the book PZ mentioned:

http://hawaiiasenseofplace.com/book/...&g2_itemId=264

Comment

[...]PZ - you can close this thread.
                          It appears people are continuing to enjoy this thread. I'm glad it wasn't closed!

Comment

Does anyone know where to buy a punee here in Honolulu? I'm looking but am not having any luck. Suggestions would be welcomed. It doesn't have to be new - main thing is the frame. Mahalo for any help.
                            It would be nice if it somehow got directed back to the original question - where to buy a punee. I asked PZ to close the thread because it somehow moved way off the original intent.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It would be nice if it somehow got directed back to the original question - where to buy a punee. I asked PZ to close the thread because it somehow moved way off the original intent.
                              I hear what you're saying, Fran, but in all honesty, if Admin closed every thread when it began to drift there would be no threads left in which to reply!

Your original request still applies and if someone sees it and has any suggestions for you, more than likely s/he will post them here...if ya get my drift!

Comment

Working...
                              X