Which Grocery store should I shop at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Grocery store should I shop at?

I'm counting down...188 days to go til we spend a month in Waikiki!!! Last year we stayed next door to the Food Pantry on Kuhio, but I thought the prices were really expensive (except for wine! I pay double or even triple the price here for wine!!!). Anyway, without having a car, where would you suggest I shop? Foodland at Ala Moana? We have Safeway's here...so I'd kinda like not to go there! My son even works here at Safeway...we'll be staying on Kuhio again...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Which Grocery store should I shop at?

If you are taking TheBus the #2 route will pass close by Don Quijote (formerly Daiei) or slightly farther would be the Beretania Foodland.

In retrospect Don Quijote might be easier since the return trip the bus stop is in the same general area whereas Foodland you have to walk farther.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      If you are taking TheBus the #2 route will pass close by Don Quijote (formerly Daiei) or slightly farther would be the Beretania Foodland.

In retrospect Don Quijote might be easier since the return trip the bus stop is in the same general area whereas Foodland you have to walk farther.
      Thank you for your reply Helen! Do you mean that it's easier to go to Don Quijote or the other Foodland you mentioned from Waikiki? Since we are going to be there for a month, I was looking to find a reasonablly priced grocery store besides Food Pantry...

But, speaking of TheBus, I also want to buy 1 month passes for us, which I saw you can buy at Foodland...will my son (17) need to show his passport to get the student rate?

Thanks again!

Comment

Don't forget Walmart !!!

Sometimes I forget they have food aisles, and very inexpensive prices too.

DD
        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

If you're closer to the Honolulu Zoo end of Kuhio, you might want to consider taking a taxi or The Bus to the Foodland at Market City Shopping Center. It's about the same distance, just in the opposite direction, towards Waialae Ave.

Comment

Also, if you are near the end of Kuhio near the Honolulu Zoo, you could take the number 14 up and down Kapahulu. You may need to double check but there is a Safeway being planned on Kapahulu. I don't know if it will be up and running by the time you are visiting.

Comment

Although you rather not go there, a Safeway will be opening a grand location on Kapahulu avenue (walking distance to Waikiki) in the near future.

Of the "regular" supermarkets (Star, Foodland, Times, Safeway, Tamura's), I think Safeway has the best meat department. Higher quality, fresher and thicker cuts (especially steaks!) at competitive SALE prices. Otherwise, Costco rules. For produce (fruits and veggies), I think they're all equally great. It just depends who has what on sale at the time.

If you're looking for asian foods, I second Helen's suggestion of Don Quijote (formerly Daiei). *Gosh I can't cant Daiei outta' my head*

Star and Don Quijote are the only supermarkets here that don't require membership cards for cheapest price. That's a plus.

Still, considering the distance to walk or hassle of traffic and cost of cabbing it, I'd stick with the convenience of Food Pantry on Kuhio ave. or Hobron lane. They're owned by Foodland's Sullivan family. The prices on advertised items (look for the ads in the store) are especially competitive with "out of Waikiki" market prices. As a whole, most items are only cents-on-the-dollar above average. Definately cheaper than the corner ABC store.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
              X