99 Ranch Market closing doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Ranch Market closing doors

Bummers that the Honolulu branch of 99 Ranch Market is scheduled to shut down next year. Maybe the owners figured that in Hawai'i it was easy to find most of the stuff they sell in places like Chinatown. Up here, next to Uwajimaya, 99 Ranch Market is one of the places I shop whenever I need Asian food products.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

I've never been to 99 Ranch since it opened...I guess cause I live so close to Chinatown.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

That is a bummer. I wonder if all those tenants will be allowed to (or even choose to) stay there. There are some good food places there, plus several service-providers and retailers. I like hanging out there when I get a little tired of the other places nearer where I work.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think I've been there exactly once - to meet someone. Interesting, but never felt any need to go back. As I recall the Farmer's Market across from Ward Warehouse seemed to be about the same atmosphere.

Comment

I tried a couple of times to go there when it first opened, but could never find parking, so I’ve never been there. The location seemed out-of-the-way and inconvenient, and there's so many other places (closer and easier for me to get to) to find Asian food products. Still, maybe I should have tried harder.

Comment

Bad location, poor customer service the few times I went there.

If I need Asian food products, I think of other places (Chinatown and Daiei/Don Quijote primarily) to shop. Not 99 Ranch.

Comment

don't know why but my experiences there were generally positive. i don't go there on a regular basis but i've never been disappointed with the food there.

the reason i stopped going there, however, is because my (when i still had it) acura's logo (on the trunk) was ripped off there. never wanted to go back after that incident.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Wow. We go there all the time. Not so much for 99 Ranch, though we do hit it for the occasional odd item or obscure sauce, but for the whole package, food court included. There's a Mini Garden location there, and Bea's Dessert House is a favorite for bubble tea. We hit the bank there on weekends. And there's a Chinese restaurant in there I've never tried.

Fortunately, "the independent vendors will continue to operate at the property."

While 99 Ranch probably qualified on paper as an "anchor" tenant, I'm pretty sure a lot of the other businesses there are decent draws on their own. I bet there'll still be foot traffic there, even without the supermarket. The question is if it'll be worth it in the aggregate to keep that whole property/facility operating without it in the long term. What else could occupy that large space? Maybe a Ross?

Comment

If you work in the area then the food court is a good place for lunch.

Chinatown has a lot of their inventory but not everything.

Comment

I work in Chinatown, and can appreciate its wide range of goodies, frenetic energy, and... human color. But I always thought 99 Ranch provided an important alternative. I mean, parking there wasn't great, but it sure beat Chinatown on a busy day. You could push around a shopping cart, fill it up, and pay only once. And you could pay with a credit card. Try that stuff downtown!

I don't think the popularity of Chinatown kept business slow at 99 Ranch as much as other factors, particularly location. As i-hungry notes, the food court attracted folks from all around Mapunapuna and the airport area, but that's not enough of a population base for a niche supermarket. Closer to Pearlridge or even on the other side of the island may have worked better.

Comment

Drat. I only went there a couple of times, but it was my source for Tabasco soy sauce and Tabasco ketchup. :-( Now I'll have to go online if I want that stuff. Phooey.

Comment

Interesting. I just realized that it's where we get our Park's brand kim chee sauce, to make the Chicken Alice's recipe. I know I found it at the Palama Market in town, but 99 Ranch was more convenient.

Comment

Location most definitely killed it. Wasn't really convenient to any residential areas.

Comment

I shop at the South Bay Area / Las Vegas 99 Ranch Markets for the prices and food (pretty good Cantonese food). Those Markets I frequent have no food courts like the one in the Mapunapuna branch.

While home, I went to the food court, but didn't go to actually shop at the Market much. So long as the food choices stay, I'll probably continue to go there.
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

How are the prices at 99 Ranch compared to say..Safeway or Foodland?
                              Just curious because here in the LA area alot of stuff, like Chicken and especially fish are WAY cheaper at 99 Ranch than Vons (which is owned by Safeway) and Ralphs which are the main supermarkets here.

My fiancee is schlepping all the way to her old neighborhood in Arcadia to but stuff for X Mas dinner because the prices are so much cheaper, and of course they don't have the Asian stuff at the American markets here where we live.

She always complains to me that stuff is so much cheaper at 99 Ranch when we're in VONS(Safeway) , and I was just wondering if that's the case in Hawaii too, because I know pricing is whole different ball of wax there.

Makes me wonder why the Asian markets seem to be cheaper for certain stuff. The non Asian folks here are starting to catch on and are shopping in 99 Ranch more for their fish and meats, obviousy because of the price difference.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X