Whose remote vehicle is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose remote vehicle is the best?

I mean for the radio stations here. A lot of the urban hits radio stations have "pimped out" vehicles for their live remotes (Hot 939's Lincoln Navigator for instance). Cox radio stations are all the same w/ a Ford Ecoline (or club wagon) vehicle, with speakers, a LCD scrolling marquee on the top, and other things.

I just want to know your opinion on what radio station's live remote vehicle is the best (or the worst).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Whose remote vehicle is the best?

Since local radio in general (aside from KTUH) is stoopid (sic), I rarely listen to it, so I don't know who's what, but I hate those trucks parked outside obnoxious nightclubs with the flashing strobes. I always get exciting thinking it might be drama, but it ends up being a bad radio station parked outside trying really hard to look important.

I'll never forget covering Hok Get the dog's triumphant arrival to Honolulu Harbor, and some idiot radio station was there "live." When the ghost ship pulled in, they started playing an endless loop of "Who Let the Dogs Out." I almost went insane (at least more so than I already am).

Comment

Island 98.5 has a nice screen wrapped honda odysey
      Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic
        Island 98.5 has a nice screen wrapped honda odysey
        They have an Odyssey? What happened to the VW van?

Comment

Originally posted by dick
          Since local radio in general (aside from KTUH) is stoopid (sic), I rarely listen to it, so I don't know who's what, but I hate those trucks parked outside...

Who are you? And why are you here in this area? You say local radio is stupid and you (I guess) only listen to KTUH (on rare occasions)...

what perspective of any sort do you have to share?

Why don't you find a nice orchid chat site... or perhaps a place to discuss home brewing of beer? As a radio professional I don't mind non-radio types getting in on the chat if there's something they have to say, worth saying... but if you come from such a poisonous attitude...

Dude, take it somewhere else!

I commend whoever started this thread in trying to start a little "back and forth" with a casual open ended question... it's been a bit dry reading the radio area lately... but come on-

If you ain't radio- And just wanna talk stink- I don't want to hear about it.

A radio site should be radio oriented... that means people who listen... people that have some understanding... I wasn't going to respond when I first read your garbage... but hey... I live radio! You don't.

By the way- Looking for a fun station vehicle?

You don't have to look much farther than the Firetrucks with the Hollywood Floodlights attached, or the reconditioned Fire engine red reconditioned mail truck KQNG on Kauai used to use... That was cool stuff!

Nuff!

Comment

'79 -

Nice vitriol.

I wasn't aware that HawaiiThreads was a "radio site." From what I understand it's an open forum for the discussion of ideas. I do agree with you that perhaps my comments didn't fit with the particular thread - mistake on my part.

Perhaps you were referring to the Hawaii Radio "section," and if so, perhaps you should proof-read your entries before posting. It would help your credibility tremendously. Section and Site are two different things.

Based on this rationale, I suspect anybody not directly involved in print, or broadcast should not respond to any of the posts there as well. As someone who works in print media, I find what people have to say about my industry very interesting, and can often help me do a better job. Or at least put things in perspective. If they think the job we're doing is "stoopid" (sic), then it would help to know why.

It's true, I don't really find anything worthwhile to listen to on the radio. But that's my deal. As a person who "lives radio," wouldn't you be interested in why I don't like it? However based on your comments, I seriously doubt it.

Comment

Very well put DIC.

I too am just a "lurker" who enjoys trolling around and learning about the other media groups in Hawaii. As a mailroom clerk in an add agency, I am learning a bunch about these media groups off this forum.

However, it does seem to be a personal sandbox at time for thoes that are involved in Hawaii multi media. Though I have only met a few personally, you can learn about people in this forum.

Then again, I could be under an alies and be one of these guys boss........

TY Lee? :>)

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                '79 -

Nice vitriol.

I wasn't aware that HawaiiThreads was a "radio site." From what I understand it's an open forum for the discussion of ideas. I do agree with you that perhaps my comments didn't fit with the particular thread - mistake on my part.

Dude! Your use of the language- I should have guessed print. Vitriol-nice... that's one o' dem $5 words... hmmmmmmmm

Section... Site... whatever. Obviously you gleaned my intent. We be living in da USA so everybody get chance fo pipe up and yip!

If I said that print as a whole here in the state was thin, unrelevant, usually outdated, useless, and on the whole a waste of trees...

that wouldn't make you flinch? just a wee bit?... come on...

You should really loosen up and give radio a chance- there must be something on the AM/FM a highbrow such as yourself- might enjoy...

Nuf

Comment

Folks, we need to refocus this topic back to what the original poster wanted to discuss... radio station vehicles, which I believe are driven around town to not only promote the station but also the car dealer that is probably leasing the vehicle to them. Debates of a personal nature should be taken to email or private messaging. Thank you.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Folks, we need to refocus this topic back to what the original poster wanted to discuss... radio station vehicles, which I believe are driven around town to not only promote the station but also the car dealer that is probably leasing the vehicle to them. Debates of a personal nature should be taken to email or private messaging. Thank you.

Ok ok mel--- darn it--- it was just getting a little fun.

Anyway, I still think the KQNG vehicles on Kauai- were awesome. And everything I've seen in trade mags on the subject are leaning towards minivans with station logo magnetics on them- quite boring. I don't know if anyone's running around with the big trucks made out to look like boom boxes anymore... it's a cost/storage issue probably.

Even limos with magnetics are- nothing special...

Someone should ask Ron Wiley about radio hi-jinx and "out there" radio stunts, to draw attention... I know he's done some unusual things... probably has seen some groovey rides as well.

Nuff

Comment

I want pictures!!!

Comment

The one vehicle that stands out for me is one that I believe is either run by Salem Media or has something to do with that radio group. It is a rather large panel van or something that has these scrolling Billboards on each side of the vehicle which change advertisements every few minutes. Has anyone seen this vehicle? The next time I see it I hope to have my digital camera in hand so I can catch a picture of it.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've definitely seen that ad truck. It was very visible and active maybe a couple of months ago, but recently the only time I've seen it is parked in a lot. I always wondered if the advertisers were specifically buying display time on the truck, or if the owner/station was selling the truck as an 'added benefit' for their existing advertisers. (I guess I should have just called the number on the truck!) If the former, the rocketing price of gas probably made it harder to justify keeping that thing in rush hour and circling major thoroughfares all day.

That said, I don't think it's really a "remote" vehicle.

And really, the only one I saw with regularity was the KCCN van when they did their promos on the corner of Bishop and King fronting Bank of Hawaii and Jamba Juice.

Ford Econoline's with vinyl wraps are definitely nothing special... I must've missed out on all the "pimped out" fun! I'd figure stations would at least go for distinctive looking vehicles, like the new Scion xB or some tricked out convertible PT Cruiser. (Then again, I guess it's got to be big enough to carry remote transmitting equipment, as well as "cash and prizes" for the assembled hoardes!)

Comment

Definitely agree that the Salem ad truck is not a "remote" vehicle. The ones that I have seen around is the blue and yellow one for KRTR, KXME and the KSSK prize van.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              The one vehicle that stands out for me is one that I believe is either run by Salem Media or has something to do with that radio group. It is a rather large panel van or something that has these scrolling Billboards on each side of the vehicle which change advertisements every few minutes. Has anyone seen this vehicle? The next time I see it I hope to have my digital camera in hand so I can catch a picture of it.
                              That is part of a radio group? I thought it was a "mobile billboard" (seeing that Hawaii has a law against billboards).

Comment

Working...
                              X