HT Book Circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Book Circle

Hey, look at the date! It's January 1, 2007! You know what that means, don't you?

It means it is time to start a book circle, and I'm starting it here.

Wait! Don't click over to that lunch thread YET! Just, you know, stick around for a bit and see if it MIGHT be something you COULD give a try! Here's what I propose:
    1. People interested in doing some reading with other HTers submit three titles (or authors, genres, whatever) they're like to read and discuss.
    2. The facilitator (that would be me, at least for now) coordinates a quick poll from the submissions to determine what the book will be.
    3. We set a schedule for reading the book.
    4. We discuss the book.
    5. The world gets nicer, food gets tastier, dogs get doggier, and we get smarter.
    6. We take suggestions for the next book.
    7. Repeat steps 2 through...whatever we're on now.

Okay, who's in?

You don't have to be a book person to do this, and the suggestions don't have to be all Oprah's Book Clubby. We can pretty much do whatever, and if the first selection is something you strenuously object to, you can jump in on the next book, okay? Smileys for everyone.

For the first selection, I'm going to ask that you suggest titles that (a) aren't hard to find at the library, and (b) aren't too long. Long books can be momentum-killers when groups like this are starting out. Let's do something we know we can manage first.

I'll make the first three proposals, and if you have three other things you'd like to explore, just post them here. If you have no suggestions but want to participate regardless of our selection, just post an "I'm in" message so we know what we're dealing with.
    • E.B. White's The Trumpet of the Swan. Children's literature from the author of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.
    • Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, a best-seller from a couple of years ago.
    • A current biography that's been out for at least a year, such as Madeleine Albright's.

You know you want to.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: HT Book Circle

Originally posted by scrivener;124714
    For the first selection, I'm going to ask that you suggest titles that (a) aren't hard to find at the library, and (b) aren't too long. Long books can be momentum-killers when groups like this are starting out. Let's do something we know we can manage first.

I'll make the first three proposals, and if you have three other things you'd like to explore, just post them here. If you have no suggestions but want to participate regardless of our selection, just post an "I'm in" message so we know what we're dealing with.
    [LIST
    [*]E.B. White's The Trumpet of the Swan. Children's literature from the author of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.[*]Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, a best-seller from a couple of years ago.[*]A current biography that's been out for at least a year, such as Madeleine Albright's.[/LIST]

You know you want to.
    C'mon, Madeleine Albright's autobio violates the "too long" principle. How about one by Britney Spears? You need one by somebody who hasn't lived as long as Secretary Albright.

Actually, if you wanted one with a local connection, how about one of the two by Barack Obama?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I think this is a great idea, but I feel like I should join the "Book Circle Jr." club instead. Easier, lighter, shorter fare than the sort of stuff scrivener would naturally gravitate toward! I do want to read more, and it's a resolution for 2007, but Madeleine Albright would kill me! I mean, when I think, "start off easy," I think of a trifle like "Shopgirl."

Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to start with "YA" titles. Both the Trumpet and the Swan and Secret Life of Bees are for younger readers, yes?

Not that I have a better suggestion. Though at of the top "recommended artists" that LibraryThing is giving me, based on my limited number of entries so far, is Neal Stephenson...

Comment

I want the light version!
        I love to read, but hate Big long political books.
        I am not smart enough to discuss them but I can handle the "small" stuff.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Excellent. So we have two votes for light and fluffy. Keep them coming.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

can I add a vote for "light" but not necessarily fluffy? I like to read legal thrillers, spy novels and detective stories. I tend to read by author instead of subject. One of my personal favorites is Janet Evanovich - her books are so funny that I have been embarassed on the bus often by laughing out loud at the characters. I read for entertainment and relaxation, not necessarily education. That may seem shallow but I like to "escape to another place" when I pick up a book. I even like the Harry Potter books & can't wait for the next/last one in June.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Well, I love reading but don't have much time for it, but I'll give it a shot. Though I'm a little confused about how this works. Are we supposed to buy all the books that are suggested? If so, that might be a problem.

The last book I read (that wasn't required reading for school) was "7 seconds or less". It's an inside account about the Phoenix Suns (an NBA team). Fascinating to those that follow the NBA. For those that don't? Not so much.

Anyways, I guess I'm in.

Comment

No, we'll only be doing one book at a time.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm interested but hesitant. Last time I let someone else pick for me I ended up reading Clive Barker's "Imajica". Painful. Let me round up a few for consideration. Time limit?
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I vote no romance novels!
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

For those concerned about the purchase price of books...there's half.com and the library! The book circle interests me but, alas, I'm back at work after 2 months off. There's plenty of catching up to do!

Comment

I'll pretty much read whatever you all end up choosing. I'd rather we not start for 2 weeks, if possible, so I can finish up with my current reading material.

PZ: The Secret Life of Bees is narrated by a teen, but it is not a YA book. Beautiful prose, boring story.

I only have 2 books to recommend that aren't too lengthy:
                        Also, Mitch Albom's current bestseller, For One More Day, is 197 pages. I'm not at all interested in it, but others might enjoy it.
                        Last edited by U'ilani; January 2, 2007, 08:02 AM. Reason: Fixed a link
                        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          I'm back at work after 2 months off. There's plenty of catching up to do!
                          Two month’s off! I am filled with Envy. That’s a sin, isn’t it?

Back to the Book Circle. Sounds like a good idea, and I would be interested, but there are problems. I agree with Sinjin, people have different reading tastes. How many times have friends recommended books to me that they love, and think I will love as well, only to find out I don’t. Or vice versa ... me recommending books that I love, and think they will too, etc.

I think the best bet is to have a LARGE circle of readers, because not everyone will choose to participate, depending on the book selected. In fact, it may be that most will choose not to participate, for one reason or another. But that’s okay. Next round.

And I definitely agree with Blueyecicle ... No Romance Novels!

Comment

We'll come to some kind of agreement, and if whatever we pick doesn't rock your world, then you can either sit this one out and wait for the next one, read it anyway so you can be in on the discussion (that's what I'll be doing), or start another group and facilitate it. These are all quite cool by me.

Of course there are differences in taste, but what I have found is that even when a book I've read is not to my liking, the discussion part always makes it worthwhile. I can't promise that for everyone, of course, but c'mon. Even if it's a romance, just give it a whirl.

I'm going to keep the discussion going for a few days and then take votes. U'ilani, I'm sure that two weeks is fine; we'll set a relatively relaxed reading pace to start.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                              Two month’s off! I am filled with Envy. That’s a sin, isn’t it?[...]
                              Not in this case. It was a necessity. The girls (scroll down slightly to "Two new grandkids?") needed and deserved my time. And to stay on topic...if I can ever get those 2 to write a book, I know it'll be a great read!

Comment

Working...
                              X