Your favorite movie theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite movie theater

Yes (Kaimuki Theater @ 3660 - too near the Queen? They were owned by different companies - Consolidated and Royal - maybe that's been discussed?).

Anyone remember when Cinemascope was introduced @ Kuhio? Saw the Greatest Show on Earth and The Robe there . . .

Way back when, my mother, who must have been a movie buff, now that I think of it, took me to see Song of the South (Disney/now considered somewhat un-PC) at the theater on Lana`i. Site of my first-time movie experiences . . . amenities included spitoons for those pine field laborers who chewed a lot of Toscani.

Comment

Temple Valley, of course.

No parking problem,
      10 minutes (or less) away,
      plenty seats,
      well-behaved patrons,
      but
      sometimes the best movies don't come here.

Still....

K. of Kahalu`u
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I used to like that one in Waikiki with the starry ceiling and the tropical plants at the sides. Kailua Drive In was also good.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          The Cinerama/store bldg. is still there. But I wanna know what happened to the signature masks that were out front?
          You mean these masks?
          Cinerama.jpg

I took this photo after it closed. I was was passing by and realized how really unique these masks were. I don't know what happened to them.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          I loved the old open-air movies out in Waianae & Nanakuli.
          There was also an open-air theater in the old Halawa Housing (where Aloha Stadium is now). I'm guessing these open-air theaters were built during WWII or shortly after, primarily for military personnel.

Comment

Wasn't Waikiki #3 Open air a long time ago?

I feel sorry for the younger generation who never ever saw a movie on the really big screens like the Cinerama. The only big screen left is the IMAX theater at 5-stories tall. I watched the Rolling Stones on the Waikiki IMAX and was totally blown away...just like being there.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              I used to like that one in Waikiki with the starry ceiling and the tropical plants at the sides. Kailua Drive In was also good.
              That was Waikiki #3 on Kalakaua. Went to see Terminator one night there and the power went out in the middle of the flick. I mentioned it to Don Chapman and he wrote it up in his column.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Was there a theater on Queen Street years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  That was Waikiki #3 on Kalakaua. Went to see Terminator one night there and the power went out in the middle of the flick. I mentioned it to Don Chapman and he wrote it up in his column.

Ya mean "T2" and not Thee very first Terminator because when the first one came out Royal Theaters was still in operation and Terminator 1 was screened at the Marina Theaters during its first run cuz I rememba. When Royal finally folded and picked up by Consolidated I saw T1 along w/ Avenging Angel as a double feature at the Pearlridge 4 plex. I got in to see it but was underage at the time. I was not carded but had the appearance that I looked older.
                  I saw "T2" when it came at a packed house at Waikiki #3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Was there a theater on Queen Street years ago?
                    It was Kewalo Theater at Queen and Cooke Street. It closed in 1957. The building is still there, and still in use. I think a scuba company is using it. If you look at it, you can see that it was formerly a theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                      It was Kewalo Theater at Queen and Cooke Street. It closed in 1957. The building is still there, and still in use. I think a scuba company is using it. If you look at it, you can see that it was formerly a theater.
                      Exactly! That is it. Thanks so much, I often wondered if that was an old movie theater, sure looked like it was, so thanks for confirming it!

Aj

Comment

Back in the 1980s I worked at a typesetting company that took up about 2/3 the floor space of the former Kewalo Theater. If you did not know it was a theater you would have never suspected it was. The interior did not look like a theater at all but was remodeled to serve whatever business occupied the space. The scuba firm has been there for many years, mainly in the front part. The typesetting firm is long gone, having been replaced by a party/catering firm which is also long gone too. Can't remember what is there now even if I pass by quite frequently along Queen Street.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/43421339/...ng-to-find-out

What's the future for movie theaters?

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/43542249/...re-they-stream

On with the show, this is it.

Comment

Local movie theaters will have discounted tickets in celebration of National Cinema Day | Business | kitv.com

And I'll see you at the movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X