Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite movie theater

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post

Am I the only one who can remember the Roosevelt Theatre on Maunakea between Pauahi and Beretania? They showed "adult" movies in the '60s and '70s . . . not that I went to see them. And not that there's anything wrong with those movies. And . . . awww, just forget I brought it up.

Speaking of Adult Movie Houses I recall the "Rex Theater" owned by The Yuclan Chain on Maunakea I believe and each time parents would pass that particular theater they would have to shield the kiddies if they happen to be present.
    Who knows these children at the time would be asking the names of the poster of a given movie playing or asking what is that lady doing to her you know whats?

OHHHHHHH yeah wanna add anyone rememba the HOLIDAY MART chain?
    KAM <---- was fortunate to have gone to this one to see "THE BIG CHILL" btw that was a teeeny tiny small theater as I recall
    LAIE
    NANAKULI
    KAILUA

(I know that some of them were taken over by the WALLACE Chain, are they stil there? )

I never went to this one but there was one owned by CONSOLIDATED called KINGS ALLEY in Waikiki during the 70's and there was CAMEO which became the niteclub PINK CADDILAC which I used to go there as a teen which was fun while it lasted and a sidenote when it was Cameo that it briefly showed ADULT MOVIES
    Last edited by DannyWilliams; January 4, 2007, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I have to say that with all this remembering of old theaters, I fondly remember the open air theaters in Waianae, Maili and Nankuli. You could go, sit in old car seats, bring your own food and hope the B-52's and other insect life did not crawl over your feet while you watched really obscure movies. It was a lot of fun and really an adventure to go to the movies out there. I especially liked the one in Nanakuli - very casual. Of course, this was in 1963-64 so many here may not have ever gone to those.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
        OHHHHHHH yeah wanna add anyone rememba the HOLIDAY MART chain?
        KAM <---- was fortunate to have gone to this one to see "THE BIG CHILL" btw that was a teeeny tiny small theater as I recall
        LAIE
        NANAKULI
        KAILUA
        Yup. Seen a number of movies at Kailua. Including The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The building is still there, but I don't think it's a theater anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          I have to say that with all this remembering of old theaters, I fondly remember the open air theaters in Waianae, Maili and Nankuli. You could go, sit in old car seats, bring your own food and hope the B-52's and other insect life did not crawl over your feet while you watched really obscure movies. It was a lot of fun and really an adventure to go to the movies out there. I especially liked the one in Nanakuli - very casual. Of course, this was in 1963-64 so many here may not have ever gone to those.
          I remember going to the open air one at Nanakuli and Waianae Theatre which was like one big Quonset Hut. My Dad's side is from Waianae and Nanakuli so went out that side a lot as a kid.

Comment

For those who recall the King Theaters in Downtown Honolulu which turned into a parking lot?

Well I went there when it was a single theater and caught TENTACLES.....
            Its JAWS but a killer Octopus wreaking havoc on this town....
            Anyways when the theater got twinned I rememba this lady that worked there and when I went to see this titlewise I foget but when I went to the bathroom which was on the other end I took a peek inside what was playing and the lady she scolded me cuz I was looking at a "R" and I was under 17 obviously at the time. And the movie I was lookin at had ILSA in the title.

Comment

I miss the old Kailua drive-in....not because of the sound or picture , but just for the fact you could watch a movie under the stars.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                I miss the old Kailua drive-in....not because of the sound or picture , but just for the fact you could watch a movie under the stars.
                I rememba goin either was up or goin down da Pali in da cah of course you could see their beeeg sign indicating what was playing at the time.

And I have heard that ppl that lived near drive ins (Waialae & Kam Drive In) would actually watch movies from their balcony and tune into their stereo systems
                I dunno if it actually worked for them but I have heard

Comment

I like the $5 already out in video movie theaters. Because no one is around. hehe

Comment

Gotta be Haleiwa Theatre....with Nakai's Saimin across the street......nothing better! Old samurai movies, Dr. Doolittle....these were the days!

Comment

More of my experiences at long gone cinemas

Waikiki Twins 1 &2
                      Nice place and always looked foward to coming when I could.
                      Walked up the stairs and you saw the screen and when ya turned around there was more rows behind ya. Deciding which row and what part left, middle or right was always hard to choose if your party was 2 or more ppl

Waikiki #3
                      Everyone has their memories of this grand theater.
                      I even remember when it had the tropical look inside back in the 70's.
                      When "EARTHQUAKE" was playing at the time ya really got the feeling that you were in L.A.
                      Rewinding fast foward to the renovated look in the 80's I spent lotsa Saturdays and Sundays checking out whateva movie was out and anyone rememba the woman that worked at the box office. She always looked mean lookin. Whats was up wit her?
                      And their setup of the snack bar was trippy. When ya went up to pay da cashier had to go back and forth to ring up everybody. Must have been dizzy flip flopping for each transaction.

Kuhio Twins
                      The great thing I liked about KUHIO was the outdoor exterior of the neons and the whats playing displays they had for the neighboring theaters in the area.

Comment

I had several theaters (u folks named alot!) that I remembered...one of em was TOYO Theater, where the HI USA Credit Union is there now just ewa of Chinese Cultural Plaza...I remembered them super spooky obake shows and after every show..I would be scared as HELL to cross over that tiny bridge leading from the sidewalk to their theater...bumbye white lady with long black hair with dem spooky black eyes ....then there is the Nippon Theater, where the Chevron Station is located on Keeaumoku and Beretania. I think you folks are mentioning the TOHO Theater, where Blockbuster is located now...I always remembered the concession on the bottom of the theater and we'd have to walk up stairs to the theater. Anybody remember "the Glades" where boys will be girls ...it was located on Hotel Street just almost ewa on River Street.....good times were when Hotel Street used to be open to the public....me and my friends used to circle around Hotel Street trying to ck out the trans...we then used to call em mh! And yeah....despite sometimes when the kailua drive in and kam drive in used to have them crappy speakers to hook up on yo window and you had to roll up yo window to make sure it was noiseproof...but the pain in da a## was if you were the driver, the mgmt made the roads in a hillish way to make sure you werent blocking others view.
                        Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...those WERE DEM days.................

Comment

Were the Kalihi Theaters the one's at Kam Shopping Center where KB Toys is now?

The Royal Marina Theaters was next to the old Kaiser Hospital which is now Hawaii Prince right?

Queen Theater building is still intact.

The Kahala Drive Inn I think is the Self-Storage place now

Wasnt Kuhio Theaters where Niketown is now??

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

The Royal Marina Theaters was next to the old Kaiser Hospital which is now Hawaii Prince right?

KalihiBoy

Kalihi Theaters? Wasn't it apart of the HOLIDAY MART chain? And if so it was just called KAM and the Royal Marina Twins changed into a steak resturaunt. From there I dunno....... And yeah where Niketown was good ol Kuhio. And Kahala Drive in? Waialae Drive In? Where Jolly Rogers was?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

Queen Theater building is still intact.

KalihiBoy
                              The theaters at KSC were called The Holiday Theaters and at their busiest used to show Filipino movies. Kalihi Theater was located next to the Salvation Army store on the corner of King St. and Puuhale Rd. Palama Theater is still there at King St. and the bottom of Pua Lane, and Liliha Theater was at the corner of School St. and Liliha St. where the freeway is now.

Comment

I think all the theaters I remember are gone now. What's interesting is that I still associate certain movies with them.

Holiday Theater, Kam Shopping Center - Disney cartoons, Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, and The Legend of Bigfoot. (the last one scared the daylights out of me.)

Waialae Drive In - more Disney movies, and previews for crappy 70's Blaxploitation movies.

Cinerama - all the Star Wars movies

Empress - Kung Fu movies (I actually never went there, but I always wanted to, not because I like Kung Fu but because it was so grand looking.)

Waikiki (1? 2? 3? can't remember) - Superman, Superman 2, Conan the Barbarian, E.T.

Marina - Xanadu (Shut up! At least it wasn't Can't Stop The Music).

Royal - Raiders of the Lost Ark.
                                "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Working...
                                X