Thread: Your favorite movie theater

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your favorite movie theater

Which movie theater is your favorite?

For me latey it's been the Ward 16. Kind of close to home, stadium seating, self serving soda machines (which makes for unlimited sodas) and a variety of places to eat around the area.

Dole Cannery 18, also has stadium seating, I think the hot dogs are better if the Critics Corner section is open and while it's farther away from home it's kind of close to work. With the exception of yesterday's viewing of The Good Shepherd it's been over a year since I last went there.

It's been years since I have gone to Kahala or the Pearlridge theaters, which are accesible by TheBus.

Default Re: Your favorite movie theater

Funny you should bring this up. I just came back from the Windward Mall theaters where our movie began with the picture, and the soundtrack, but NO AUDIO FOR THE CHARACTERS' SPEECH. At first everyone was puzzled as to if it was some novel introduction to a movie, but when it went on too long a few people went to complain. So a supervisor arrives and watches for another few minutes and deduces, "Yup, something is wrong." She then ambles up to the projection booth and a few minutes later the house lights come up and she says, "Sorry, but something is wrong but we have corrected the problem. We can't rewind the movie (?!) so you may either watch it when we re-start it from this point or you may move to another movie screen and see a different show."

The audience wasn't having that. We demanded, and received, refunds.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Adds another layer of meaning to "Pursuit of Happyness." Heh.

My favorite is Ward Center - because they have the Concierge service & valet parking. I've been a member since they started & it's paid off for me. All I have to do is call them, tell them how many tickets I want (up to 6) and where I want to sit. They will hold the tix/seats & even stand in line at the concession stand for a small fee. Even on opening day of a blockbuster movie! I've haven't stood in a ticket line for quite a while so I'm really spoiled. If you're going to dinner after, they will make your reservations for you at any of the Ward restaurants. Yeah, I guess I'm spoiled...........and I like it.

waikiki twins #3
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Cinerama was my favorite. Long gone now with a Checker store filling in its shell. I also liked the Waikiki Twins & the original one too. All gone, shopping mail in its place today.

Currently perhaps Regal Dole Cannery, the ones with the very large screen and THX sound.

oh well - if we're also including old ones, definitely Cinerama. Thats where I saw Star Wars for the first time. and Mash.

and the original Waikiki Theater, with the stars on the ceiling & the organ. and then there was the Royal on Kuhio Ave. My daughter & I went there a lot because they showed a lot of Disney films.

and there used to be another one, on Kuhio - where Nick's Fishmarket is now. Saw Cleopatra there shortly after arriving on O`ahu.

Lots of very fond memories tied up with movies in Waikiki.

Koolau Theaters in Temple Valley because its less than 5 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Dole Cannery 18, also has stadium seating, I think the hot dogs are better if the Critics Corner section is open
    Last time I went to Dole was New Years Eve and the Critics Corner section was blocked off with huge movie posters. I don't think the section has been in operation for quite some time. And the hot dogs sold by the usual concession stand is the standard size hot dog and bun.

I like going to Regal Theater at Pearl Highlands because I can buy my tickets at that kiosk thingy (which never has a line) instead of standing in the regular ticket line! I think Dole Cannery is a Regal Theater also and has that ticket kiosk, but it's a little far from home for me. (Although the hubby did take me to see Dream Girls there last year because it was the only theater still showing it.) Do any Consolidated Theaters have that ticket kiosk?
    I'd rather be ... LOST

The Ward 16 has a couple of machines. There are located on the right hand side of the enterance (the ticket office is on the left hand side).

On a psycho-tropical vacation avoiding rehab.

The Ward 16 has a couple of machines. There are located on the right hand side of the enterance (the ticket office is on the left hand side).
    I love those things. While the ticket office lines do move quickly (thanks to efficient workers), it's still a bummer to see a long line at the top of the escalator. Whenever I want to use the CC/Debit Card kiosk, there's usually no one there.

I like how we can use plastic at the concession stand now, too.

It's funny because I don't think I've ever come across this thread before. I have fond memories at the old Cinerama. I think the last time I saw a movie there was the Blair Witch Project in 1998. I remember that night vividly because I got sick in the middle of the movie and had to run to the bathroom to yack.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Liko View Post
    It's funny because I don't think I've ever come across this thread before. I have fond memories at the old Cinerama. I think the last time I saw a movie there was the Blair Witch Project in 1998. I remember that night vividly because I got sick in the middle of the movie and had to run to the bathroom to yack.
    Funny you should mention this, but I got sick watching the same movie at the same theater, too. (I think I mentioned this in a previous thread.) And it wasn't because of the subject matter. It was because of the camera work (that herky-jerky, hand-held technique). I just got sicker and sicker the more I watched. I was sick the rest of the day. Later, after I recovered, I searched online and discovered I wasn't the only one who got sick. It seems that anyone who was susceptible to motion sickness got physically sick watching the movie.

Was that the case for you, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Liko View Post
    I love those things. While the ticket office lines do move quickly (thanks to efficient workers), it's still a bummer to see a long line at the top of the escalator. Whenever I want to use the CC/Debit Card kiosk, there's usually no one there.

I like how we can use plastic at the concession stand now, too.

Yes debit cards rock when you are in the mood to go to da theater to see a movie! I always look for the VISA/MC sticker! The theaters here in the bay area have some kind of CC/Debit setup for patrons. Takes the guess work out of asking yourself, should I take out $20 or $40?!?!

Thanks for the info, I did not know this. I always go left to the box office and never looked to see what was on the right side.

mahalo!
    I'd rather be ... LOST

Went to the Pearlridge theaters last week and I noticed that their general admission prices are a $1 less than Ward but one of their stadium seating theaters (the one downstairs) doesn't have much of a height difference between rows.

Temple Valley, of course.

No parking problem,
    10 minutes (or less) away,
    plenty seats,
    well-behaved patrons,
    but
    sometimes the best movies don't come here.

Still....

K. of Kahalu`u
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

I used to like that one in Waikiki with the starry ceiling and the tropical plants at the sides. Kailua Drive In was also good.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    I used to like that one in Waikiki with the starry ceiling and the tropical plants at the sides. Kailua Drive In was also good.
    That was Waikiki #3 on Kalakaua. Went to see Terminator one night there and the power went out in the middle of the flick. I mentioned it to Don Chapman and he wrote it up in his column.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Was there a theater on Queen Street years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Was there a theater on Queen Street years ago?
    It was Kewalo Theater at Queen and Cooke Street. It closed in 1957. The building is still there, and still in use. I think a scuba company is using it. If you look at it, you can see that it was formerly a theater.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    That was Waikiki #3 on Kalakaua. Went to see Terminator one night there and the power went out in the middle of the flick. I mentioned it to Don Chapman and he wrote it up in his column.

Ya mean "T2" and not Thee very first Terminator because when the first one came out Royal Theaters was still in operation and Terminator 1 was screened at the Marina Theaters during its first run cuz I rememba. When Royal finally folded and picked up by Consolidated I saw T1 along w/ Avenging Angel as a double feature at the Pearlridge 4 plex. I got in to see it but was underage at the time. I was not carded but had the appearance that I looked older.
    I saw "T2" when it came at a packed house at Waikiki #3.