Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite movie theater

Originally posted by modpirate View Post

Marina - Xanadu (Shut up! At least it wasn't Can't Stop The Music).

I think its GREASE which was put out by PARAMOUNT. The Royal Theater Chain had exclusive showings of films put out by them.
    Xanadu is Universal which is Consolidated.

Comment

Cinerama - all the Star Wars movies
      Just the ones from the late 70's and 80's. Cinerama never showed The Phantom Menace even through it was still operating.

Comment

Waikiki (1? 2? 3? can't remember) - Superman, Superman 2, Conan the Barbarian, E.T.
        Was that one kind of close to the International Marketplace? I think I saw Karate Kid 2 there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          Was that one kind of close to the International Marketplace? I think I saw Karate Kid 2 there.

uhhhhhhhh not really. Where Waikiki Twins and #3 was versus International Market Place. It's about 5-6 blocks inbetween I say.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
            I think its GREASE which was put out by PARAMOUNT. The Royal Theater Chain had exclusive showings of films put out by them.
            Xanadu is Universal which is Consolidated.
            Ah. Maybe it was Kuhio. I know it was somewhere in Waikiki, and I know it was Xanadu. No way I could forget a movie that awful.
            "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Movies I remember:

KING - WILLARD (the one about the rats);
              ROYAL - first movie "date" in Honolulu for me; THE GRADUATE;
              WAIALAE DRIVE-IN - don't remember any of the movies ;
              TOHO - saw the Shogun Assasin ("Lone Wolf") series;
              KAPIOLANI (formerly TOHO) - TOOTSIE;
              WAIKIKI 3 - POSEIDON ADVENTURE;
              CINERAMA - M*A*S*H; EASY RIDER;
              WAIKIKI 1/2 - THE STING; E.T.; AMERICAN GRAFFITI;
              QUEEN - XXX stuff not in Chinatown;
              KAIMUKI - PRUDENCE AND THE PILL; IMPOSSIBLE YEARS (both David Niven);
              UH (Snyder Hall) - DEEP THROAT;
              KAHALA - TWINS;
              KOKO MARINA - BACK TO THE FUTURE

I remember the twin-theaters at the Ilikai Marina where Outback Steakhouse is located now.

Comment

I think all the theaters I remember are gone now. What's interesting is that I still associate certain movies with them.
                Kailua Theater - Mary Poppins (just barely remembered)

Holiday Theater, Kailua Shopping Center - Poseidon Adventure, Paper Moon, The Sting, Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Kailua Drive In - No movies, but I remember the tailgating in the front row.

Akahi - Tora, Tora, Tora; American Graffiti

Cinerama - Space Odyssey 2001, the original Star Wars, Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Comment

I believe the last film shown at the Cinerama was in October 1999 with the presentation of American Beauty with Kevin Spacey. I used to eat at the JITB across the street all the time when I lived in Makiki, but kick myself for never going to any films at the Cinerama.

I have old commercials for films that were shown at the Royal Marina Theaters by the Ilikai. Anyone know when that theater closed? I'm guessing late 80's around the time in which they tore down the Kaiser Hospital which of course that demolition was used in an episode of Magnum PI.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    I believe the last film shown at the Cinerama was in October 1999 with the presentation of American Beauty with Kevin Spacey. I used to eat at the JITB across the street all the time when I lived in Makiki, but kick myself for never going to any films at the Cinerama.

Aj

no no no

The last movie to be shown at Cinerama was THE INSIDER w/ Russell Crowe
                    Pic of Cinerama HERE
                    and they closed November of '99. I rememba da article online.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      Dole Cannery 18, also has stadium seating, I think the hot dogs are better if the Critics Corner section is open
                      Last time I went to Dole was New Years Eve and the Critics Corner section was blocked off with huge movie posters. I don't think the section has been in operation for quite some time. And the hot dogs sold by the usual concession stand is the standard size hot dog and bun.

Comment

I like going to Regal Theater at Pearl Highlands because I can buy my tickets at that kiosk thingy (which never has a line) instead of standing in the regular ticket line! I think Dole Cannery is a Regal Theater also and has that ticket kiosk, but it's a little far from home for me. (Although the hubby did take me to see Dream Girls there last year because it was the only theater still showing it.) Do any Consolidated Theaters have that ticket kiosk?
                        I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

The Ward 16 has a couple of machines. There are located on the right hand side of the enterance (the ticket office is on the left hand side).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            The Ward 16 has a couple of machines. There are located on the right hand side of the enterance (the ticket office is on the left hand side).
                            I love those things. While the ticket office lines do move quickly (thanks to efficient workers), it's still a bummer to see a long line at the top of the escalator. Whenever I want to use the CC/Debit Card kiosk, there's usually no one there.

I like how we can use plastic at the concession stand now, too.

It's funny because I don't think I've ever come across this thread before. I have fond memories at the old Cinerama. I think the last time I saw a movie there was the Blair Witch Project in 1998. I remember that night vividly because I got sick in the middle of the movie and had to run to the bathroom to yack.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              It's funny because I don't think I've ever come across this thread before. I have fond memories at the old Cinerama. I think the last time I saw a movie there was the Blair Witch Project in 1998. I remember that night vividly because I got sick in the middle of the movie and had to run to the bathroom to yack.
                              Funny you should mention this, but I got sick watching the same movie at the same theater, too. (I think I mentioned this in a previous thread.) And it wasn't because of the subject matter. It was because of the camera work (that herky-jerky, hand-held technique). I just got sicker and sicker the more I watched. I was sick the rest of the day. Later, after I recovered, I searched online and discovered I wasn't the only one who got sick. It seems that anyone who was susceptible to motion sickness got physically sick watching the movie.

Was that the case for you, too?

Comment

Kamoi Theater in Kaunakaka'i, on Moloka'i.

Sure, it was rat-infested, but I can get into it and watch an R-Rated B-type film without an ID check ... at age 4.

My only regret is not watching Star Wars and that's because Darth Vader on the movie poster scares me. (No, at thirtysomething now, I'm not afraid of him.)
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X