X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite movie theater

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Cinerama was my favorite.
    Another thing I miss about the Cinerama was that in a couple of periods in the mid to late 90's was running classic film festivals. The first one ran for 4 to 5 weeks and had one movie running the entire week. The second group ran for two or three weeks and a movie would play for a couple of days.

Originally posted by zff View Post
    Does anyone here remember the Kapiolani Drive-In theater (where Daiei/Don Quijote and the fire station is now)? You know, near Universal Motors?
    Nope, this was way before my time. While I have been on Oahu since 1979 there was a time we visited Oahu during the 1960's and I remember visiting Holiday Mart (which then became Daiei and now Don Quijote).

Comment

No one loved the Kahala Drive In? Right next to the grave yard? And all the ghost stories that circulated? I remember not taking a shower for a month after my family went to see "Squirm," a laughable thriller about killer worms that featured a scene with worms coming out of the showerhead. My older sister used to torment me with ghost stories about the lady with no face in the bathroom mirror at the snack stand.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
        What else. Da Palama Theatre, of course. I miss those 10-cents Saturday morning cartoon / serials. Ah, Lash Larue and Flash Gordon were so good fun.
        Also, Liliha and Kalihi Theatres...all had different cartoons on Saturday...yea da good ol days. And yea I remember going to Kapiolani Drive In and Waialae Drive In.

Comment

My favorite movie theaters areL

-Kahala
          -Pearlridge 16
          -Ward
          -All of the Waikiki Theatres (which is long gone now)
          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I remember a crazy uncle taking me down to see kung fu movies in Chinatown on the weekends. I want to say it was the Hawai'i Theatre, but I can't be sure it was because I was so manini at the time (maybe 5 or 6). I remember seeing movies at the old theaters on King Street in Downtown, and those aren't the one I'm talking about. Does anyone remember kung fu movies at the Hawai'i Theatre back in the day?
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

There was another theater down there, I think there is a church in it now? I think at the corner of Nu`uanu & Beretania.

What about the Toyo (?) on Kapiolani? I used to go watch samurai movies there. That was where I learned to love Kurosawa & Toshiro Mifune films
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Koolau Theaters in Temple Valley because its less than 5 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Another thing I miss about the Cinerama was that in a couple of periods in the mid to late 90's was running classic film festivals.
                  Sure were. I caught reruns of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Lawrence of Arabia" at the Cinerama at that time.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    There was another theater down there, I think there is a church in it now? I think at the corner of Nu`uanu & Beretania.

What about the Toyo (?) on Kapiolani? I used to go watch samurai movies there. That was where I learned to love Kurosawa & Toshiro Mifune films
                    Was that theatre on Beretania and Nuuanu called Kokusai? Between the Hawaii and Kokusai (?) Theatres, I recall a Liberty Theatre, on Nuuanu, mauka of the parking building.

Toyo was between Beretania and Kukui, on the Ewa side of Nuuanu Stream & had a koi pond in front. I recall another theatre (International?) behind Toyo (closer to Kukui, behind the temple - which was moved from its previous location nearer Beretania & King).

Oh, those scary obake-neko movies were BIG draws for me.

Before walking home, eating 25-cent saimin at close-by saimin stands after the movies . . . and those 10-cent BBQ sticks !!!

Am I the only one who can remember the Roosevelt Theatre on Maunakea between Pauahi and Beretania? They showed "adult" movies in the '60s and '70s . . . not that I went to see them. And not that there's anything wrong with those movies. And . . . awww, just forget I brought it up.
                    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

For those of Chinese decent or enthusiasts, dont forget about Empress and Golden Harvest.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                        Toyo was between Beretania and Kukui, on the Ewa side of Nuuanu Stream & had a koi pond in front.
                        Ha! That's the one I was asking about. I remember pushing my cousin in that pond! Mahalo, PK!
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

I'm pretty certain the Kung Fu movies you refer to was shown at the Liberty Theatre. We used to go Roosevelt Theatre and look around before we bought our tickets. Do you remember the Beretania Follies in Tin Can alley?...and American Theatre, and Golden Wall on School Street? Also the Pawaa Theatre on the corner of Keeaumoku and Beretania.

Comment

if Toyo was downtown, then what was the name of the one on Kapiolani? it was close to where the PanAm building is now. Ah, these senior moments just keep coming on me
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Kapiolani Theater. Which is now a Blockbuster where the screen was and a Paja John where the main enterance/lobby was.

Comment

(smacks my forehead) well, DUH - now I remember. Thanks Helen!
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X