Anyone remember Let's Go Fishing with Bruce Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember Let's Go Fishing with Bruce Carter

While reviewing old tapes this weekend (still looking for the Ponderosa Pines ad by the way) I came across an old Fishing Show with Bruce Carter anyone remember it? I saw commercials for KISS Radio and the Electrical Industry Fund, program was sponsored by Olympia Beer. The main segment of the show was the Kona-Bill Fishing tournament from 1979 I believe. I assume Bruce Carter has passed on years ago because he looked to be well in his 60's back then!! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think he lived on Kahala Avenue because they showed segments from the Norman Tamanaha race that I've participated for several years, I didnt know it was ran back then too!!

Also saw ads on other tapes for BYU-UH game on KITV with Steve Collins as announcer, Yamaha Music Center, Tony Honda of Waipahu, "Your the Best......Hawaiian Airlines" (for $39.95 ticket booklets).

Came across a KHON-2 Afternoon Movie sponsored by Bob's Appliances that had ads for Renown Milano Itaian Restaurant at Discovery Bay, Marsh Furniture (you could win tickets to see Hello Dolly with Carol Channing at the NBC this summer!), Don Lucas Honda ad which was filmed at John Dominis parking lot, Goodwill of Hawaii, etc.

Anyone know what was Channel 15 in Hawaii say 25 or more years ago, I saw the call letters on the movie I was looking at and it was advertised as "The Movie's" with cartoon drawings of what looks like Bruce Lee or James Bond
    as their theme. Might bring back some memories for some around here??

KalihiBoy

Re: Anyone remember Let's Go Fishing with Bruce Carter

More on the Bruce Carter Show his cook is the guy who had a show of his own on Channel 2 called Hari's kitchen, I'm sure everyone remembers that one.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom comes on before Let's Go Fishing. Come to think about it Bruce Carter looks somewhat like Marlon Perkins.

This show came on Sundays on Channel 2 at 5pm I think. I've talked to several people around town and they remember it fondly!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

I remember watching it in the mid-70s as a kid. I think Wild Kingdom was either the show right before or right after Let's Go Fishing. Yes, the cook was Hari Kojima who took over when Bruce Carter got canned or whatever. Never cared for Hari... he seemed to be the cocky type.

Comment

Channel 15? Hmmm did we have cable back then?

But good old Bruce Carter, always drunk and brave to try Hari's concoctions, "Mmmm good stuff...let's go to a commercial break before I puke"

Back then Let's Go Fishing focused on local fishing. When Hari took over the show started delving into fishing around the world and I lost interest.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"Hey, gang! Dees Harry." Kojima is classic Hawai'i television.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
            "Hey, gang! Dees Harry." Kojima is classic Hawai'i television.
            No it's "hey gangie"

Comment

Does anyone know if Bruce Carter is still living or when he died by chance?

I've enjoyed watching these old shows with Bruce, it takes alot of talent to get excited about catching fish.

The show was low budget even when they went to places like Kona or Hilo they would bring bring back "film" as Bruce would put it and these videos had no sound at all, looks like they were shot on 8mm film.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Let's Go Fishing was a staple at our house. Like clockwork, me and dad and whoever else was around would drop whatever we were doing and go sit in front of the TV. It was one of those enormous console affairs which was more like furniture. And it had tubes... I remember the Sears guy coming up every once in a while to change them out.

But I digress...

Sometimes we'd get there early enough to watch some Wild Kingdom, but the main draw was Bruce Carter, his Oly, and those whack fishing films ("Ho! You seen the marlin jump out of the water??"). Of course, my dad dutifully drank Oly as well, in addition to Primo.

My dad fished all the time, and he and his buddies were always in tournaments. One year, at the Lanai Redezvous, we were staying at the same place as Bruce Carter. If memory serves, it was at like, some pineapple camp dorm or something, and it was really dark and scary, and my friends would tell me to look out "'cause the ghosts going come out and get you wit' da bolo knife!" But anyway, I was stunned to see the guy in real life. It got no better than that for a kid like me from Maui to meet a "celebrity." And he was totally cool. We had breakfast with him. And I remember some lady gave me hot cocoa, but I thought it was like how my mom gave it to me - with some milk in it so wasn't too hot - but it was actually boiling hot and I took a swig, screamed and whipped the mug across the kitchen as stunned onlookers wondered what the hell all the excitement was about.

I digress again...

Of course there was always a crew around taping (I believe video had already come on the scene by then) the goings on at the scales by the harbor. This was big stuff. Me and my friends would always manage to position ourselves with the dangling fish between us and the camera. Trying to keep it on the downlow - not wanting to look like those idiots you normally see making shaka and all that, we stood pointing at the fish and acting like we were all into it and analyzing the importance of the ahi bleeding all over the place. The next week we'd all tune in and see if we were on. "Ho, we were on Let's Go Fishing!!!"

Good times, indeed.

Comment

That show was pure entertainment. And the theme song said it all,
                  "Let's go fishing ....
                  Let's go fishing...."
                  It had the same travelogue factor that Hawaii 5-0 had, you'd watch it just to see where the location was that week.

Some history on the program:
                  http://www.hawaiigoesfishing.com/about_hgf.html

Comment

I remember that show. It came on right before Wild Kingdom, which was right before The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, which was right before The Wonderful World of Disney. My Sunday night lineup.
                    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

That was a interesting bio I wonder why the Hawaiian Moving Company always claimed to be the longest running show in Hawaii tv history, whereas this show's roots date back much farther in history. Maybe because of the change in title of the show?

The shows I am reviewing appear to be from the 1979-80 timeframe when Bruce was still using the silent home movies, they seemed to really like the Big Island because the two shows I have watched the silent film footage was shot in Kona and Hilo.

I enjoy the casual, laid-back approach of this show it is very much as described in the link http://www.hawaiigoesfishing.com/about_hgf.html that was provided.

Olympia Beer was the sponsor on the shows I have seen thus far. If anyone has old shows on tape please let me know I'm trying to preserve as much old Hawaii tv history as possible.

KalihiBoy

Comment

This thread has taken me back to Pahoa! I remember sitting either at our dining room (okay, dining AREA adjacent to the kitchen) watching the little TV on the wheeled, three-shelf-cart ... or watching it on the "big" TV (not as fancy as the one Dick described) sitting on our sorta olive green, sculptured carpet in the living room.

I didn't remember that the grainy fishing film ran silently ... perhaps I was watching at a later part of the show's run, when they ran music with the film. However, even in those days before I was in "the business," I realized that the grandiose (and quite schlocky) symphonic music they were running was actually looped and just played over and over ... Hah! Too funny.

After Bruce departed and Hari took over, he later got a sidekick -- the Southern-accented Stan Wright ... who also had a photography business. IIRC, I think Stan took over solo after Hari left ... and then the show went off the air, yeah? I guess by that point, I'd moved to Oahu and my life had changed to the point where I was no longer a regular viewer.
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Yes indeed Stan Wright is on almost every show with his photographs of the various big catches from around the islands.

I did find out that Bruce Carter moved to Florida and passed away sometime 10-15 years ago. He was originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I'm reviewing some classic shows here one is the 1978 Christmas and the other is the 1978 Year in Review Show.

Here is Bruce Carter: "Well today I planned on showing you some film footage from a tournament in Kona but I let some fellow borrow the film and he took it to the mainland. Since then I haven't seen this fellow or the film ever since and I am VERY UPSET about this".

Or...."well I apologize for the audio on the film today it was terrible and I didn't review it before we went on air and I am sorry for this".

Can you imagine hearing any of this stuff on tv today??

KalihiBoy

Comment

Update:

Stan Wright still lives in Hawaii and has his photography business and I contacted him to see if he was interested in seeing the old shows and he said and this is ironic that he was currently looking around to see if anyone had them!!

Sadly Channel 2 dumped most of the shows in a dumpster over 20 years ago. Shame on them!!

I've also put out feelers to reach Hari at Fresh Island Fish but havent heard back from them yet.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Wasn't Stan Wright the cameraman for Let's Go Fishing when Bruce Carter and Hari Kojima hosted it?

Comment

Working...
                              X