Anyone remember Let's Go Fishing with Bruce Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone remember Let's Go Fishing with Bruce Carter

From the shows I have seen I see Stan sitting with Hari showing his photographs of the various Big Catches that took place over the weekend. Some are from Keewalo Basin, Honolulu Harbor, Magic Island, etc. I think he was primarily the photographer, though his role on the show expanded more after Bruce had his falling out with the station and left.

I believe Dean Kinoshita was the cameraman when Hari and Stan did the show without Bruce and Bob Pritchard was the producer/director.

Stan was telling me that Hari had one of those Dan Ackroyd (when he played Julia Child on SNL) moments where he cut himself pretty bad and the blood from both Hari and the fish was getting all over the place. I guess they pardon the pun cut some of the film so these segments werent shown on camera and Hari even took his bandage off so not to confuse the viewers as to why he didn't have it on earlier in the show.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      Update:

Stan Wright still lives in Hawaii and has his photography business and I contacted him to see if he was interested in seeing the old shows and he said and this is ironic that he was currently looking around to see if anyone had them!!

Sadly Channel 2 dumped most of the shows in a dumpster over 20 years ago. Shame on them!!

I've also put out feelers to reach Hari at Fresh Island Fish but havent heard back from them yet.

KalihiBoy
      call EARLY...the earlier the better. like WAAAYY before 8 am

Comment

Update:

I had a nice chat over the phone with Stan Wright yesterday reminiscing about the Let's Go Fishing series.

Fresh Island Fish contacted me and I'll be speaking with Hari this week as well.

Question: Do you think people would watch reruns of the old Let's Go Fishing series by chance?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Update:
          Question: Do you think people would watch reruns of the old Let's Go Fishing series by chance?
          Since you asked, I was a fan at the time, but would not watch it now as a rerun. But clips of it would be fun to see, maybe incorporated into some other program.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
            Since you asked, I was a fan at the time, but would not watch it now as a rerun. But clips of it would be fun to see, maybe incorporated into some other program.
            Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm wondering if a Best of Let's Go Fishing show would go over well with old clips shown as well as interviews with Stan, Hari and others involved in the show. In two years the show will celebrate it's 40 anniversary since it debuted in 1969. So a retrospective program is a possibility during that time.

Sadly when Bruce Carter was let go by KHON in a fit of rage he went home and burned all of his films and shows.

KalihiBoy

Comment

KalihiBoy
              I think we would watch the one's that show Hawaii people catching fish in Hawaiian waters.

Since there isn't much left now, actually seeing people pull in the big ones, especially when shore fishing, would be amazing to most old timers memories and most youngens fantasies.

Comment

"Let's Go Fishing" reminds me a lot of this show:

http://www.cyberstupid.com/WeGoFish.mp3

Comment

I think the current version of the show is looking for a new host.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Update:

Talked with Hari today, he doesn't even have the shows from the Bruce Carter years as well. It seems as if I have stumbled onto something really rare and special.

Loved to hear stories about the old days from both Stan and Hari, hopefully Channel 2 will do a special retrospective on Let's Go Fishing in the coming years.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Update:

Talked with Hari today, he doesn't even have the shows from the Bruce Carter years as well. It seems as if I have stumbled onto something really rare and special.

Loved to hear stories about the old days from both Stan and Hari, hopefully Channel 2 will do a special retrospective on Let's Go Fishing in the coming years.

KalihiBoy
                      Maybe in the stellar meaning of life there was a good reason why these lost episodes remain lost.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There are no copies of the Don Ho daytime show remaining either.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

So Don Ho has no tapes of his own series then? I haven't been looking hard for that series but also didn't realize it was LOST either.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I used to love watching that show! All I could.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I wuz sad wen this program came on Sunday small kid time, cuz dat mean "Hey go eat dinna & sleep early, get school tomorrow."

Comment

Sponsored by Olympia Beer! Mutual of Omaha often followed it.

Bruce Carter passed away, but not too long ago.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X