Jelly's Long Lost Oldies Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelly's Long Lost Oldies Show

I tuned to KUMU AM 1500 at 1:00 PM today expecting to hear the "Long Lost Oldies" show, but heard a health talk show instead. I called Jelly's at 484-4413 and inquired about the "Lost Lost Oldies" show, and Sheriff Norm said that the show will be on KUMU AM 1500 in 2 to 3 weeks and the tentative time slot for the show will be from 2:00 to 6:00 PM. Boy was I deceived by KUMU AM 1500's new website. I sure am looking forward to hearing the "Long Lost Oldies" show again. It's the only way to hear Adult Standards and obscure Oldies music on Honolulu radio.

Info about "Long Lost Oldies"

The "Long Lost Oldies" show runs every Sunday afternoon from 3:00 to 6:00 pm on KUMU AM 1500. It's yet another way to get my Adult Standards fix.

Comment

Re: Jelly's Long Lost Oldies Show

Sheriff Norm Winter, owner of Jelly's Books & Records resumed hosting of the "Long Lost Oldies" show on radio station KGMZ 107.9 FM this month. The program is a promotional show for Jelly's and showcases a lot of obscure old music that were hits in the Hawaii market years ago.

This is the thread that will continue discussion, if any of the program and the music that is played on the show.

"Long Lost Oldies" airs Mondays 5 to 7 pm.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget View Post
        It's the only way to hear Adult Standards and obscure Oldies music on Honolulu radio.
        Adult standards, maybe, but not obscure oldies. Alice Cooper plays a lot of obscure classic rock on his program, and Steve van Zandt goes DEEP into the vault for all kinds of music I've never heard before. Little Steven's show is terrific because he'll start with some old song you didn't know existed, then play songs after it that were influenced by it, leading up to something very recent. Great program.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Adult standards, maybe, but not obscure oldies. Alice Cooper plays a lot of obscure classic rock on his program, and Steve van Zandt goes DEEP into the vault for all kinds of music I've never heard before. Little Steven's show is terrific because he'll start with some old song you didn't know existed, then play songs after it that were influenced by it, leading up to something very recent. Great program.
          Norm's "Long Lost Oldies" show concentrates mostly on obscure top 40 rock n roll and do wop hits from the 1950s and early 60s. He also covers obscure top 40 hits of the mid 60s to the early 1970s. This is reflected in 3 compilation CDs he released over the years at Jelly's called, what else, "Long Lost Oldies" volumes 1, 2, & 3.

The show hardly plays anything you'd call "adult standards" (i.e. non rock songs made famous by crooners such as Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee and Perry Como).... There are a lot of stuff from artists such as the Orioles, Little Anthony & the Imperials, Linda Scott, Buddy Holly, and anyone else who was popular in rock n roll mainly before the British invasion of the mid 1960s.... though he plays some of those songs too by groups such as The Searchers, Them and Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders.

I guess I should listen to KPOI more often to catch some of the obscure classic rock you mention. I know Alice Cooper's show is on the weeknights, but I never got into it mainly because it is a syndicated show. I prefer shows with live, local radio personalities. Did not even know Van Zandt had a radio gig. I'll check the KPOI website.

You know for oldies there are two main schools in rock...(at least pre 1975).... top 40 which was all of the singles and more that dominated the airwaves back in the day (and "the hits just keep on coming" stuff) and the album rock track music that was a staple on early FM such as KPOI way back in the day long before it was called "classic rock". A lot of the album rock songs were never played on AM top 40 and for a while FM was where to go to listen to long and obscure tracks by the Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, It's a Beautiful Day, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Dylan, Janis Joplin, Hendrix and many, many more.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The time for this show was recently changed to 6 to 8 pm, Monday nights. Same station, KGMZ 107.9 FM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Bumped:

Norm Winter's "Long Lost Oldies" radio show has moved to Saturday afternoons from 2 to 4 pm on "Hawaii Cool Gold" KKOL 107.9 FM.

He also has a website and links to streaming content.

https://sites.google.com/a/longlostoldies.com/home/
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
              X