Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian name for a keiki (child)?

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
    Personally, I like Leilani. I don't know what it means but I just like it.
    Heavenly garland

Comment

Re: hawaiian name for a keiki (child)?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      Hawaiian custom is that a close relative, such as grandparent or a close family friend chooses the name to bestow on the child, almost as a gift to that child. My daughter's name was chosen for her by her grandmother and has meaning for her due to its connection to family history. Her second name is after my grandmother and I asked permission of her to use the name. So, both grandmothers named my daughter - one Hawaiian, one not.
      I (along with all the grandchildren) was given my name by my paternal grandmother. Since she has since passed, the job of naming the babies at birth now falls on my auntie, my father's eldest sister.

My Hawaiian name reflects my father's familial ties to the Big Island, and I'm sure that if and when it's time for me to have children, they'll receive names that'll have a deep meaning for the father and me...not just because it sounds nice.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

after re-reading my original posting - it should have said that my daughter's paternal grandmother gave her the Hawaiian name. My own grandmother's name was given to her with permission of my grandmother. I was so glad I had talked with her about it because she passed away several months before my daughter was born - so her having the name has always had a special meaning for me. She is the only child of my (huge) family who carries that name. The only other one was of my generation and she passed many years ago.

I was named after an aunt and always resented not having my "own" name until I learned some of my family geneaology - my name goes back to the earliest generations of my family in 11th century England and there are many with this name thoughout our history. Now I carry the name very proudly.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
          Personally, I like Leilani.

Awww, I like you too. HAHAHAHAHA.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

i'm on the hunt for our son's middle name. we picked kaleolani, "heavenly voice" or "voice of heaven" for our daughter, which one of our hawaiian friends helped us with. i was gonna ask one of my aunties at my daughter's preschool, but i won't see her until thrusday so i thought i'd ask here: what would "answered prayer" translate to and would it be appropriate to bestow as a name? i know of 'kapule', but i wanted something a bit more specific...or even "wish fulfilled", if there isn't a good translation of the former. thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Heavenly garland

Mahalo.... it is even more beautiful now that I know...
              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X