what's your favorite Hawaiian food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what's your favorite Hawaiian food?

I love Kalua Pig. Kalua is a family tradtition, we've been doing it for a very long time. In fact, the imu in the back of my parent's house is older than I am. I have fond memories of helping my dad prep the imu as a young kid. Here's a picture link to pics I took during a recent Kalua. As for my favorite Hawaiian foods..... raw Vana, and my mom's squid luau!

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/365989830LeyXDL

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      If done right, squid luau is probably my favorite dish. If done right. Don't care for Chicken Luau. Squid (which actually is octopus in this dish) imparts a much better flavor and texture compliment to the luau leaves and coconut milk.
      Ok....I've got a question for all the cooks out there.

I cook Squid Luau. I've never used Octopus. How many use Octopus instead of Squid? Das why dey call it Squid Luau.

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 5, 2007, 07:14 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        I love Kalua Pig. Kalua is a family tradtition [---] I have fond memories of helping my dad prep the imu as a young kid. Here's a picture link to pics I took during a recent Kalua. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/365989830LeyXDL
        Great pics! I might ask you later if I can use them on my blog (see my sig' link) when I publish a demonstration on Kalua Pig made oven style. Mainly to showcase the comparison of hard work and extensive steps involved with traditional imu preparation.

Your photos don't show it, but I'm sure you folks are using solid Kiawe logs to fire up those rocks. Wow, get plenty room around da' two pigs fo' 'tro on some turkeys!

I posted instructions here in the past on how our family makes Imu-style Kalua Pig.. pretty much like you folks, except we dig a deep pit. Hard to find burlap bags nowadays. We wash and reuse ours.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I cook Squid Luau. I've never used Octopus. How many use Octopus instead of Squid? Das why dey call it Squid Luau.
        I think it comes down to traditions taught from our kupuna. Us guys always made it using octopus (Tako), but squid works too. I think tako has more flavor and a "meatier" texture though... especially da' suckers on the tentacles!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          I think it comes down to traditions taught from our kupuna. Us guys always made it using octopus (Tako), but squid works too. I prefer the red color and texture of the tentacles of octopus. Plus, tako is something we get fresh right from our waters vs. squid which is usually imported frozen. I think tako has more flavor too.
          Lets have a POLL!!! Dis I gotta know. I always served Squid Luau. In restaurants if dey no serve Squid dey can be sued. How do you put a Poll up? Admin? Helen?

Squid or Octopus taste betta in Luau?

Lets vote.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Man, that looks like ALOT of work. But I know it must be worth it. I've only had real kalua pig 2x at the tourist luaus (and of course the non imu type like at L&L), so I'm not sure it's the same as one done by an ohana in the backyard imu. I'd love to check that out.

Pomai, next time your family is doing one, I'm bookin a flight
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Lets vote.
              O.K. auntie, you're on! lol

That's it... I'm heading to Tropics (Farmer's) Market tomorrow to buy the ingredients. I hope they have Luau leaves in stock (sometimes they sell out). Then I'll make 2 small pots of luau using squid in one and octopus in the other for a true side-by-side taste comparison! With pictures of course.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

O.K. auntie, you're on! lol

That's it... I'm heading to Tropics (Farmer's) Market tomorrow to buy the ingredients. I hope they have Luau leaves in stock (sometimes they sell out). Then I'll make 2 small pots of luau using squid in one and octopus in the other for a true side-by-side taste comparison! With pictures of course.
                Das not fair. Only you going taste. What about I make one small pot of Squid Luau and we have Admin taste?hahahaha

Or at our annual Picnic we can hold the Testing there.

Nah...whatevas. Do it your way. I trust you. I have no choice.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Lets have a POLL!!! Dis I gotta know. I always served Squid Luau. In restaurants if dey no serve Squid dey can be sued. How do you put a Poll up? Admin? Helen?

I think the Squid or Octopus taste betta in Luau would be best done in a new thread which you (or anyone) can do and at that point you can add the poll to that thread.

In the spirit of this thread that has been discussed so far a possible poll question would be:

What would be considered as "Hawaiian" food?

1) Food traditional served at a luau
                  2) Any local style food

Now if I was invited to a Hawaiian style luau and they served BBQ Chicken, Hamburger Steak, Chicken Katsu, sushi, manapua, spring rolls and fried rice, my reaction would be shrug my shoulders and either say "Since when?" or "Is this a certain island's style of luau?" (I am joking say it's Loihi island style).

Would I be offended by these food choices, I don't think so.

Comment

My favorite is mahimahi. I could eat it all day!
                    'Alika

Comment

Ok....I've got a question for all the cooks out there.

We only use Octopus, although we call it "squid".

Squid is too skinny. Octopus or Tako as some may call it, is best to use for Luau.

Great pics! I might ask you later if I can use them on my blog (see my sig' link) when I publish a demonstration on Kalua Pig made oven style. Mainly to showcase the comparison of hard work and extensive steps involved with traditional imu preparation.

Your photos don't show it, but I'm sure you folks are using solid Kiawe logs to fire up those rocks. Wow, get plenty room around da' two pigs fo' 'tro on some turkeys!

I posted instructions here in the past on how our family makes Imu-style Kalua Pig.. pretty much like you folks, except we dig a deep pit. Hard to find burlap bags nowadays. We wash and reuse ours.

Feel free to use the pics at your convenience Pomai. Yes we use solid pieces of Kiawe. Family and friends always bring Kiawe by when we need it because we Kalua multiple times each year. Our Imu is actually very big. but we adjust it as needed depending on how much items we plan to kalua. The Imu at my parents house is so old that the base and walls are mostly charcoal from past work. It's easy to dig when we have to do another. We do it the same way you guys do it, except we use river rock instead of coral. We still get plenty burlap bags. My dad told me in the old days, they would cover the imu with dirt, not burlap, and that the pig came out more ono.

Comment

This squid vs. octopus thing is very interesting. A friend of mine used to love to go “squidding,” as he called it, with a spear. But all he talked about when he went “squidding” was catching octopus.

As for squid luau, I never really thought about what was in it when I ate it, maybe because it’s not one of my favorite Hawaiian foods. I usually just ate it, got it out of the way, and then focused on my real favorites: kalua pig and laulau. Now that I think about it, it must have been octopus in the squid luau that I always ate.

Comment

1. kalua pig
                          2. lau lau (the chicken kine is good too)
                          3. pipi kaula at People's (though I've never tried it at Ono's or elsewhere)
                          4. pulehu steak, served pupu-style*

(*Okay I know that's not specifically Hawaiian and probably isn't AUTHENTIC Hawaiian food, but list it because I equate the pulehu method, using Hawaiian salt as a seasoning, with Hawaiian food, so there.)

5. lomi tomato ... I mean, salmon
                          6. haupia and kulolo -- no can decide which I like better
                          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Uhm, I have alot to learn!

Comment

Sorry these images are kinda big, but I'm too lazy to resize them...

We threw a birthday Luau last night for a guest from D.C.. Here's my plate!....

Hawaiian Luau Plate

I think everyone here already knows what each item is. Gotta' say, that squid Luau (Auntie?) came out AWESOME! I made the Kalua Pig and Big Island style Smoked Meat on Saturday in my Weber grill with Kiawe wood. Also winnahz. The laulau (actually just a part of it, shown next to the Chicken Long Rice) was purchased as take-out from Ono Hawaiian Food on Kapahulu. These guys really know how to make good laulau! Between them and Young's, hard fo' pick da' winnah.

Here's a solo shot I took of the Big Island Smoked Meat I made...

I learned how to make this from my cousins in Kona. For pupu, it's best served just like that.. with POI! Yeah I know, da' poi looks lumpy, because it is. About a week old and even mo' ono!

Shameless plug.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, Please come to the Picnic! Remember you said you was going bring your famous Andagis? I want you to come cause I like give you whack whacks foa posting this pics of onolicious kaukau wen I'm soooo hungry and on a strict DIET! j/k

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X