what's your favorite Hawaiian food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what's your favorite Hawaiian food?

Hmm...lau lau would be it. I love bitter greens. I need to try to make my own, because I'm not fond of the greasy pork-fat that's usually included. An all-fish lau lau sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      Hmm...lau lau would be it. I love bitter greens. I need to try to make my own, because I'm not fond of the greasy pork-fat that's usually included. An all-fish lau lau sounds good.
      Try it with chicken thighs. Works really well and isn't as fatty as the pork laulau.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't eat all that much when i think about it...but I do love kalua pig, lau lau, haupia, and mahimahi. I'm not a fan of fat so I don't eat the fat in kalua pig or lau lau, and I usually only eat pork lau lau but when we go to Masu's I eat the fish inside. Haupia = <3, anything coconut = <3. Mahimahi I looooove but rarely ever get to eat anymore.
        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Mmmmm... lau lau and kalua mix from Masu's this afternoon.

With an extra lau lau on the side...

And had chicken, pork and fish inside!!! Needs the fat for flavor.

Kanak attack for reals...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
            hey. were am I
            dis ain't waaaaaa.....
            we're missing a particular warrior here, that's Y

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
              Chicken long rice is considered a authentic Hawaiian food now?
              Good point.

Looking at the original list of this thread brings to thought...
              What exactly are the origins of each dish?...
              -Laulau
              -Lomilomi Salmon
              -Poi
              -Squid luau
              -Chicken long rice
              -Mahimahi
              -Haupia

I'd say of those, Laulau made strictly with fish (not pork), poi and squid luau are the only ones that date all the way back to the original Kanaka Maoli.

Haupia in its current form (made with cornstarch and sugar) has to be a modern dish from various influences.

Mahimahi (Dolphin fish) can be found all over the pacific, prepared by various methods.

Chicken Long Rice obviously has Chinese roots. Salmon certainly isn't from Hawaii, so who from and when was that introduced here? Pipikaula (cured beef) had to of been introduced by white Paniolo ranchers. Pork (Kalua Pig).... who from and when was that introduced to Hawaii?

It's funny, with the popularity of Hawaii nowadays, if a chef creates a dish that even remotely includes Pineapple or Coconut, they'll give it some Hawaiian-themed name like "Kauai Coconut Prawns" or "Paia Pineapple Pie". lol
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I had the impression that when the Kanaka Maoli first came to Hawaii (or other waves of mirgation) they brought over dogs and pigs (or boars) for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Salmon certainly isn't from Hawaii, so who from and when was that introduced here? Pipikaula (cured beef) had to of been introduced by white Paniolo ranchers. Pork (Kalua Pig).... who from and when was that introduced to Hawaii?
                  Having done a little anthropological research on the origins of lomi salmon, I think there is a West Coast connection. At one point, there were many kanaka maoli who were crew members on whaling ships. Those whaling ships would hunt for whales in the North Pacific and make ports of call all along the West Coast, where they came in contact with Native Americans. Most of the tribes in the Pacific NW were fishers, and most prized salmon and either smoked it or brined it to preserve it for use when salmon were not in season. Tomatoes come from Central and South America. So the confluence of both ingredients may have occurred in northern California during the Gold Rush. Lomi salmon is similar to the Spanish ceviche, except ceviche uses lime juice to "cook" fresh fish. The salmon used in lomi salmon is usually salted to cure it.

The paniolo were Hispanic cowboys who came from Mexico and Latin America and who were famous for their cattle tending abilities. Pipikaula is beef jerky, so the cowboys definitely would have known about this food in their home countries. The addition of soy sauce to the marinade is an Asian influence that was incorporated once beef jerky was shared with the locals.

Pork probably came with the Polynesians from Kahikinui (along with chickens). where the people used to serve roast pig.

The neat thing about modern Hawaiian cuisine is how food from several different countries got mixed together...during the glory days of the sugar plantation, laborers of different ethnicities would sit down and often trade what was in their lunch pails with their friends. So it's no wonder we now have Chinese, Japanese, Puerto Rican and Filipino dishes that could be part of a modern "luau".

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; January 5, 2007, 09:30 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                    squid luau first then laulau.
                    But you cannot make the squid luau without making the laulau first.

Haupia rocks. Love coconut everything. Kalua Pork is awesome, too.
                    Haupia Rocks? Hmmm am I missing something here
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      I had the impression that when the Kanaka Maoli first came to Hawaii (or other waves of mirgation) they brought over dogs and pigs (or boars) for food.
                      They did. Remember they came from Tahiti where dog is a food item.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Good point.

Looking at the original list of this thread brings to thought...
                        What exactly are the origins of each dish?...
                        -Laulau
                        -Lomilomi Salmon
                        -Poi
                        -Squid luau
                        -Chicken long rice
                        -Mahimahi
                        -Haupia

I'd say of those, Laulau made strictly with fish (not pork), poi and squid luau are the only ones that date all the way back to the original Kanaka Maoli.

Haupia in its current form (made with cornstarch and sugar) has to be a modern dish from various influences.

Mahimahi (Dolphin fish) can be found all over the pacific, prepared by various methods.

Chicken Long Rice obviously has Chinese roots. Salmon certainly isn't from Hawaii, so who from and when was that introduced here? Pipikaula (cured beef) had to of been introduced by white Paniolo ranchers. Pork (Kalua Pig).... who from and when was that introduced to Hawaii?

It's funny, with the popularity of Hawaii nowadays, if a chef creates a dish that even remotely includes Pineapple or Coconut, they'll give it some Hawaiian-themed name like "Kauai Coconut Prawns" or "Paia Pineapple Pie". lol
                        Maybe the more accurate definition of these foods is "Local" food as the ethnic mix makes it much more than simply Hawaiian.

And in them days only the Alii ate pork.

Comment

I was in the Hawaii Kai L&L the other day and a haole family walked in and the mom asked for coconut shrimp. Interesting how that seems to be gaining a reputation as a Hawaiian menu item. I think the first time I had it was at Dixie Grill. Years ago I had an incredible appetizer at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano: Brie deep fried in a coconut-tempura batter. I couldn't imagine eating something like that, maybe a nibble on a cracker, but not the whole wedge!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The List:
                            Pupus:
                            1) Limu Tako Poke
                            2) Shoyu Ahi Poke
                            3) Pipikaula
                            3) Corona w/Lime

Da Grinds:
                            1) Laulau
                            2) Kalua Pig
                            3) Lomi Salmon
                            4) Steamed Uhu with Rock Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Ginger
                            5) Liddy Beet Poi
                            6) Budweiser (ice cold)
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

As for the current version of haupia, I think the original haupia was probably the meat of really young coconuts, which could have the consistency of custard or pudding. The kanaka maoli intermarried with Chinese families, and cornstarch (the main thickening agent in today's haupia) probably came from Chinese cooking. Perhaps young coconuts were scarce and an enterprising Chinese cook realized that adding cornstarch to coconut milk and cooking or steaming it would create a pudding the same consistency of young coconut meat and some of the steamed puddings they ate in China.

Kulolo (the steamed pudding made with taro and coconut milk and brown sugar) probably was invented around the same time. There was a variety of native sugar cane known to the kanaka maoli ("ko") which they grew next to their loi, but brown sugar and molasses didn't arrive in the islands until the missionaries and whalers did. The kanaka maoli chewed on the stalks of sugarcane for the sweetness and used the fiber to brush their teeth.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; January 5, 2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

He he. Budweiser. No luau would be complete without da' beer!

I've got a weird way I like to eat Kalua pig... I take a scoop of poi in a spoon, then I place some Kalua Pig on that with a little Hawaiian Salt and down it like that. The poi adds a nice flavor and texture contrast to the salty/savory pork in one nice bite.

If I only have chopsticks, I dip the kalua pig in the salt then in the poi and eat it. lol

I mentioned in a previous thread the idea of using an oversized Bubble Drink straw to slurp-up those slippery Chicken Long Rice Noodles.

If done right, squid luau is probably my favorite dish. If done right. Don't care for Chicken Luau. Squid (which actually is octopus in this dish) imparts a much better flavor and texture compliment to the luau leaves and coconut milk.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X