Update On The Sewage Break on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update On The Sewage Break on Oahu?

I read and heard about the sewage line break near Oahu some months back, but I haven't heard any updates about the safety of the water, the cleanup, etc., and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what has happened in regards to this?

Thanks much!

Re: Update On The Sewage Break on Oahu?

I don't think, based on official sources, there are any remaining adverse health issues related to that spill. While there are certainly people who, after the incident, are reluctant to return to the beach or water in any circumstance, I'd wager to say most folks have gotten over it and are surfing, swimming, and sunning without concern. Folks certaily do pay more attention to water quality warning signs when they pop up, though!

Indeed, there was a major sand replenishment project in Waikiki over recent weeks, concluding today, that involved pumping sand from offshore and underwater onto the beach. Certainly bacteria or toxins in the sand were a major concern, and were the reason the project was delayed several months. But from testing, things seem fine, and folks just can't wait to set up their beach towels on the new, wider Waikiki Beach.

Of course, government declaration of water safety and actual water safety can be two different things. And "safe levels" doesn't mean "no problems at all." (After all, there are standards to determine just how many rodent parts are allowable in your breakfast cereal.) But until the next spill -- and there probably will be one -- I'd just enjoy the beach.

Comment

Thanks, pzarquon. You say there will probably be another spill? Is this because the sewage system is antiquated? What is the government doing about this mess? With all the taxes paid in Hawaii, you would think this would be a top priority.

Comment

Well, part of is the simple overloading of our infrastructure, with people building into the sky without investing in the stuff underground. And part of it is the demented priorities of our previous city administration, well covered here on HawaiiThreads, that saw fit to basically build monuments to itself rather than focusing on core services like sewer and road maintenance.

Seems like every other neighborhood has a glorious, shiny new swimming pool, with absolutely no budget to actually operate and repair it. We get a "world class" facility for tennis or whatever, but after a year of use, it's a disaster.

Sewage spills are common whenever there are heavy rains and flooding and the system is overloaded. But it sure as heck doesn't have to be as bad as it is.

Comment

> You say there will probably be another spill?
          There always will be 'spills" (dumb word but for lack of...)

>Is this because the sewage system is antiquated?
          antiquated and will never be sufficient for the amount of developement they are killing our island with.

>What is the government doing about this mess?
          overdeveloping the mess. to create more mess, so they can under their name while in office, say; here's MY solution to the mess i hope you don't notice i helped create.

>With all the taxes paid in Hawaii, you would think this would be a top priority.

their top priority is building the economy. that is the holy grail.
          which means erecting 40 story condo towers anywhere they can.
          layers and layers of freeways to accomodate all the cars that are and will be here. take away all our parking too.

Comment

Hmmm...seems to me that fixing up old places, or razing a few that I saw, and replacing them, would ease some of this overdevelopment. What a shame to ruin such an amazingly beautiful place!

If they want to "build the economy", why then, wouldn't they employ some of the folks who are forced to live on the beaches, at decent wages, to rebuild the sewage system, and rebuild old, messed up buildings or remodel/repair existing old ones? Wouldn't this would create decent, affordable housing for them at the same time? Sounding too practical, aren't I?

Just brainstorming here, there seems to be SO many people who have no homes there, yet they cater to the rich, vacation homeowners. I guess that the politicians of your city (and soon to be mine) are just as bad as the "sell outs" here in Las Vegas. These people are downright criminals!

Comment

Working...
            X