GREASE: You're The One That I Want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREASE: You're The One That I Want

Dumb show! I watched this train wreck of a show last night(while waiting for Da Donald) and what got me was in a world of political correctness, the producers refused to say that the parts of Sandy and Danny can't be too old ,too fat,white, etc.
    They had people totally "wrong" for the part, moving on to the next rounds. This is a Broadway production for God's sake.... be honest!
    This photo proves it....an Asian Danny....no way!
    A slap in the face for fans of Grease.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alohabear; January 8, 2007, 11:16 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: GREASE: You're The One That I Want

What? What's inherently wrong with an Asian "Danny"?

I can totally see why this show is a train wreck. There are probably a million reasons. But as a fan of "Grease" and the husband of a serious fan of "Grease," an Asian "Danny" would hardly constitute "a slap in the face" in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      Shows like this are a slap in the face of people who care (or used to care) about quality programming on TV. Train wreck or not, people still tune in to this dreck in droves.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        What? What's inherently wrong with an Asian "Danny"?

I can totally see why this show is a train wreck. There are probably a million reasons. But as a fan of "Grease" and the husband of a serious fan of "Grease," an Asian "Danny" would hardly constitute "a slap in the face" in and of itself.
        What about an African-American Sandy? Grease takes place in a Chicago High school in the 1950's. I don't see much Asians in Chicago in the 50's. If I'm not mistaken, I think Harry Potter's Hogwarts had more Asians.
        BTW... the stage play is way better than the movie.
        Last edited by alohabear; January 8, 2007, 01:48 PM.

Flickr

Comment

[...]and what got me was in a world of political correctness, the producers refused to say that the parts of Sandy and Danny can't be too old ,too fat,white, etc.
          Because this show is so highly publicized, that may have more to do with discrimination issues and not wanting to blatantly break any laws.
          They had people totally "wrong" for the part, moving on to the next rounds.
          Kinda like American Idol, huh?! This makes for good TV which sells advertising time. It's all about the almighty dollar.
          This is a Broadway production for God's sake.... be honest!
          Why "no way"? I know of a perfect "Asian Danny". I hope he auditions...or maybe he did. I forgot to watch the show last night. I'd love to see him get the part. I'd really love to see Paris (forgot her last name; from last season's AI...she's African-American!) as Sandy! Theatrical productions can take liberties and bend the demographic (ethnicity or otherwise) rules. The big question is...will it 'sell'.

Sure, there are hard core fans of lots of theatrical productions; fans who don't want any changes, ever. Nuthin' wrong with that...just like there's nuthin' wrong eventual changes.

Comment

Sure an Asian Danny or African-American Sandy works in High school or community theater productions, but this is Broadway! Can they put on Miss Saigon with a haole lead as Miss Saigon on Broadway? The answer is no.
            What gets me is they build up people's dreams just to shut them down. This isn't Idol, where a big man like Reuben can win. PC is ok when it comes to Idol, but when it's a Broadway production with a show that everyone knows about, standards need to apply.

One of the judges on this program Jim Jacobs created Grease and knows what the roles should be like. He should be more vocal. When "normal" casting calls are made for shows no one worries about being PC and to give us a feel of seriousness, this show should have done the same.

Flickr

Comment

Can they put on Miss Saigon with a haole lead as Miss Saigon on Broadway? The answer is no.
              Interesting you mention Miss Saigon, given the whole flap over Jonathan Pryce playing the Asian engineer.

I'm not saying that non-Whites should be shoe-horned into a Broadway show out of some PC, affirmative action quota system. If the best candidate turns out to be "Danny" incarnate, right down to the fictional character's presumed skin color, so be it. But I'm definitely dismayed at the fact that you seem to be saying that non-Whites should be categorically excluded, just because it's Broadway. (The Pryce controversy wasn't because he was Caucasian, but because they didn't even audition an Asian for the Asian role.)

Like I said, this show will very likely be a disaster and an affront to Grease fans. But it won't be because there just might, possibly, maybe be a non-White in any of the roles. It'll be because it's cheesy, poorly executed, and a sad pantomime of the hopefully fading star of American Idol.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

Like I said, this show will very likely be a disaster and an affront to Grease fans. But it won't be because there just might, possibly, maybe be a non-White in any of the roles. It'll be because it's cheesy, poorly executed, and a sad pantomime of the hopefully fading star of American Idol.
                Amen...I Agree

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X