• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second Snow -- Seattle Area

Third time's the charm?!

Snow storm in Portland area

Crazy amount of snow here this year
    Last edited by Bard; March 19, 2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Had a day of PNW-style Hawaiian music, combined with snow yesterday. It snowed from about 11:30 am - 5:00 pm.

We celebrated the 15th anniversary of our radio show, just as the snow began falling; then I went to a kanikapila (with some friends who just got back from playing gigs on O`ahu with Uncle Led); and finished up playing in a hula show.

Not much fun driving from place to place, but fortunately, they were all in Bellevue (across the lake from Seattle.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Hawaiian music, combined with snow
        This is as unique a combination as the snow-covered Palm trees in LA.

Bard: Looking at the pics in the link you posted... Snow at Haystack Rock?

Weird weather. Pretty soon senior citizens will be flocking to the Swiss Alps to escape winter.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
          Bard: Looking at the pics in the link you posted... Snow at Haystack Rock?
          indeed! I didn't even notice that was Haystack Rock in the one picture

(For those who don't know, Haystack Rock is the iconic, well, haystack-shaped rock sticking up out of the ocean in the upper right of that grid of pictures. It is featured prominently in the "chasing down the beach" scene in the movie Goonies.)

So yeah.. peoples in Hawai`i.. enjoy your nice warm oceans Even in the middle of summer here it's not much good to swim in unless you've got a wetsuit, and now here it is with snow...

(I better... watch it... with the dots... or I'm gonna... turn into Manoa...)

Comment

Snowfall yet again this morning, a couple inches in Seattle. Should turn to rain by mid-morning, finally getting above freezing (but will refreeze again tonight, making things icy tomorrow morning.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Snowfall yet again this morning, a couple inches in Seattle. Should turn to rain by mid-morning, finally getting above freezing (but will refreeze again tonight, making things icy tomorrow morning.)
              We woke up this morning to yet another 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and it's still going pretty strong. Pretty crazy weather for here, but it's peaceful to watch

Comment

Yeah i woke up to HUGE snowflakes...much better than ice trees. Snow always makes me feel better than just plain cold and ice!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Encountered extremely slick road conditions on side streets near the airport today. Could not get sufficient traction to get my car up a hill to get to a meeting. We had to hold it at a McDonalds instead. Yet another snow day for the kids. I'm hoping they'll just delete the 2nd winter break next month.

On a happy note, the traffic problem in Seattle seems to have gone away. All the bad drivers stayed at home, or their cars were totaled last week. Darwinism at work.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

You guys have to check out this amazing home video showing "bumper cars" colliding on an icy Portland street today. It's days like this when the fittest survive by staying at home--the roads are simply undrivable.
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                      You guys have to check out this amazing home video showing "bumper cars" colliding on an icy Portland street today. It's days like this when the fittest survive by staying at home--the roads are simply undrivable.
                      Doh, it crashes Safari to try to view it I believe it though. We walked to the vet yesterday to get some food for our cat (and as an excuse to get out in it without driving). The snow itself wasn't bad at all, but once you stepped into a commonly used roadway, it'd all been packed down into ice. I'm sure melting and overnight re-freezing isn't going to help either.

It amazes me to see people out slipping and sliding with their cars in this stuff though. Do they really have that little experience with snow and ice? You'd think, living this far north and all...

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                        It's snowing. In Southern California where I live it's snowing. Since last night.

It's having a hard time sticking but I do have pictures, will post later.
                        Where do you live in So Cal ? It's certainly cold enough to be snowing here in Burbank.

That being said, I certainly am glad to be living here after seeing thise pics of the snow. I grew up in NY and I definintely don't miss that snow.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                        X