Hawaii Tsunami Watch for January 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Tsunami Watch!

well, there was some wave activity last night. We bugged out our office, being that it is approx 100 yards from shoreline. Some coral and rocks got tossed about 50ft past normal water level, but no damage, thankfully. Count the moon on quarter as a blessing, because the surges hit at high tide, which was 12:45am last night. If it was a new/full moon, the tide would have been worse.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      [...]It makes me woder what would happen to the the many Homeless Beach people and their families? Sad ~ totally heartbreaking.

Is our Tsunami Warning/Watch Siren in Excecellent condition unlike the shape it was in several months ago? Tonight was a good time as ever to Test and fix whatever glitches it had in it.[...]
      With all due respect, Auntie, last night woulda been the worst time to "test and fix" any glitches. With the watch in effect, the breaking news stories and the constant warning crawl along the bottom of the TV screen, testing the sirens woulda caused panic. The last test was on Jan. 1 or 2...can't remember. Hopefully, if they found problems with any of the sirens at that time they woulda fixed 'em by now.

I, too, was concerned about the homeless along our coast. Security in my building took the watch seriously enough to go door to door alerting residents. My hope was that the police were going tent to tent.
      Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      well, there was some wave activity last night. We bugged out our office, being that it is approx 100 yards from shoreline. Some coral and rocks got tossed about 50ft past normal water level, but no damage, thankfully. Count the moon on quarter as a blessing, because the surges hit at high tide, which was 12:45am last night. If it was a new/full moon, the tide would have been worse.
      The small bay in front of my condo was churning but I couldn't tell what was large swell activity and what was tsunami surge activity. It was just too dark. And, yes, a high tide at the same time which, had there been a large tsunami, would've exacerbated the event.

We lucked out!

Comment

Last night at midnight I stepped out for a stroll down Kalakaua Ave. (Waikiki) to assess the situation. It was a GHOST TOWN. Typically on Friday night at this time, when a 1 block span would have more than 100 people on the sidewalks, was down to less than 10 people or less in the same given area. Even the street performers weren't around, except 1 that I seen. Hardly any cars were on the blvd. and Police patrol car presence was light, which was a bit surprising.

Duke's in the Outrigger on the beach, which is supposed to be open until 1am (and busy all the way until then), was closed.

Waikiki hotels must have warned their guests to stay in their rooms, and even though the watch was lifted by 9:30pm, perhaps our visitors remained cautious and stayed indoors.

Kuhio Ave. had more people out and about, but definately less than a "normal" Friday night. As I walked home, thoughts of "what if it still comes" haunted my mind, having visions of a flood of sea water rushing down Seaside Ave.

If a revised Tsunami alert guideline takes effect, which lowers the quake scale to 6.7, plan on seeing more scares like this here. Still, better warned (scared) and safe, than uninformed and dead like those lost in Indonesia. Sure was a wake-up call.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So I hear the media hyped it up wrong indicating it was a warning (albeit local only to Japan) instead of a watch.

With businesses suffering because of erroneous reporting, were businesses damaged financially enough to sue the media that reported it or at least the source of the report?

Hmmmm....
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

NGC (the National Geographic Chennel) is airing a tsunami program tonight at 7pm. Not sure if it's the one about the Indonesian tsunami, but. Channel 73 (analog cable) or channel 347 (digital cable).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              So I hear the media hyped it up wrong indicating it was a warning (albeit local only to Japan) instead of a watch.
              With businesses suffering because of erroneous reporting, were businesses damaged financially enough to sue the media that reported it or at least the source of the report?
              Certainly can't sue the media, since the mistake was made by the National Weather Service. The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Certainly can't sue the media, since the mistake was made by the National Weather Service. The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".
                That's why in the Civil Defense bunker in Honolulu Hale, the Civil Defense Siren's Red Button that activates all sirens island wide is safely under a plastic spring loaded cover.

Maybe with today's Windows screens, before hitting the "Warning" instead of "Watch" button, a screen will pop up that says: Are you sure you want to piss off an entire state at this ungodly hour?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?
                  So that's what Gerard looks like! I've read his posts online for years. From his accent I'm guessing he's English, is that right? I never knew that.

Comment

Gerard is usually one of the first 'experts' the media calls upon when there is an extreme ocean condition or the threat of one. I've seen him on newscasts a few times but not since the Indonesia tsunami in Dec. 2004. He was a wealth of fascinating info in SCH at that time. So interesting to hear from someone in the trenches.

I have an Aussie assistant and you'd think, at this point, I could tell an Aussie accent from a British accent...but...I can't! I can't smell or taste, either!

Comment

I have an Aussie assistant and you'd think, at this point, I could tell an Aussie accent from a British accent...but...I can't! I can't smell or taste, either!
                      I didn't realize Aussies smelled and tasted different from Brits.

Comment

Too much information!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          The NWS says one of thier staff hit the wrong button "by accident".
                          Watch? Warning? I'm always getting those two mixed up.

I really wish they could find another pair of words to help everyone keep it straight.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            That's why in the Civil Defense bunker in Honolulu Hale, the Civil Defense Siren's Red Button that activates all sirens island wide is safely under a plastic spring loaded cover.
                            Unlocked. I know the whole panel is under a cover. I don't remember what "the button" is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                              I didn't realize Aussies smelled and tasted different from Brits.
                              yeah they're the ones the Brits threw out when they spoiled But hey look at what happens with cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                Unlocked. I know the whole panel is under a cover. I don't remember what "the button" is like.
                                Retired Oahu Civil Defense Manager Paul Takamiya told me once I could "press the button" and invited me down for a look in the bunker.

The button looked like a nuclear consent switch on a nuclear bomber (yeah I worked on them back in the USAF).

Comment

Working...
                                X