Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Tsunami Watch!

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Watch? Warning? I'm always getting those two mixed up.
    The following more or less applies to hurricanes and tsunamis.

Watch seems to mean that whatever is coming might cause some problems and the various organizations get moblized and get ready for anything for just in case. Time for the public to stock on the supplies, if they haven't already.

Warning seems to mean that whatever is coming is going to cause problems and it's time for everyone to seek higher ground.

Comment

Errr... not really. Generally:

A watch means that conditions are right for the development of [the dangerous weather condition], and it could happen at any time.

A warning means that [the dangerous weather condition] is actually happening right now.

Here's a pretty good article on the subject.

For tsunami, here are the definitions used by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center:

Tsunami Warning
      The highest level of tsunami alert. Warnings are issued by the TWCs due to the imminent threat of a tsunami from a large undersea earthquake or following confirmation that a potentially destructive tsunami is underway. They may initially be based only on seismic information as a means of providing the earliest possible alert. Warnings advise that appropriate actions be taken in response to the tsunami threat. Such actions could include the evacuation of low-lying coastal areas and the movement of boats and ships out of harbors to deep water. Warnings are updated at least hourly or as conditions warrant to continue, expand, restrict, or end the Warning.

Tsunami Watch
      The second highest level of tsunami alert. Watches are issued by the TWCs based on seismic information without confirmation that a destructive tsunami is underway. It is issued as a means of providing an advance alert to areas that could be impacted by destructive tsunami waves. Watches are updated at least hourly to continue them, expand their coverage, upgrade them to a Warning, or end the alert. A Watch for a particular area may be included in the text of the message that disseminates a Warning for another area.

Tsunami Advisory
      The third highest level of tsunami alert. Advisories are issued by the TWCs to coastal populations within areas not currently in either warning or watch status when a tsunami warning has been issued for another region of the same ocean. An Advisory indicates that an area is either outside the current warning and watch regions or that the tsunami poses no danger to that area. The TWC(s) issuing the Advisory will continue to monitor the event, issuing updates at least hourly. As conditions warrant, the Advisory will either be continued, upgraded to a watch or warning, or ended.

Comment

Actually *I* do know the difference, but I always have to stop and think about it. Watch/Warning depends on the event. In the case of a Tsunami, it's based in part on how much time is available. For a Tsunami, I think it's 3 hours. That is, if they think it might be damaging and it's less then 3 hours, it goes to Warning. But I think if they *know* it will be damaging, then it's a Warning regardless.

Hurricanes, because of their unpredictability, use time as the criteria. Watch is 3 days out. Warning is something like 24 hours (I think).

In short, it's hard to have a set thing that defines watch/warning in all situations. It's colored by the response plan. Probably the best way is Watch: be prepared/be alert. Warning: ACT!

Still, I think to the public, they get confused by the difference. I'd like to see a change that would better communicate the status. For example, "yellow" and "red" are much clearer in meaning. (But it would sound kinda strange if a "Hurricane Yellow" were issued.) But at least they can color code the buttons.

Comment

I have a very simple minded way of keeping Watch and Warning straight! The word Warning has more letters. More letters=more worries! I subscribe to the KISS way of life!

Comment

Working...
          X