Hawaii Tsunami Watch for January 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Tsunami Watch!

Latest updates from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center are posted at http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/bulletins.htm . Under the heading of "Hawai`i" at the top of the page, click on the link that says "Latest".
    As others have said, we're still under a tsunami "watch" and not a "warning", but yes, that can change.
    The safest place to be, were there to be a warning and strong signs of an imminent tsunami, would be on a boat, offshore. Remember, tsunami are not waves on the ocean surface -- they're pressure waves under the surface, until they hit shallow water. (The pressure waves can move at speeds up to 600mph.) At sea, the tsunami may only be an inch or so high, but develop into 30' or far far larger once it hits shallow water.
    Ergo, safest to be on a boat offshore. The mainland shorelines have a shelf that slowly drops off to deeper water, but here, of course, we have extremely deep water very close to shore. To be safe, on the mainland you'd have to go many miles offshore, but not so much so here.
    It's standard procedure in the event of a tsunami warning for Navy and Coast Guard ships to put to sea for that very reason. Anybody have a view of Pearl Harbor and/or Sand Island? If there's a lot of activity of ships leaving harbor, we should pay closer attention.
    I saw the 9pm item on KFVE. Still analyzing the data. Interesting that they showed the activity in the PTWC. Nothing frantic, but obviously busy.
    I'm guessing we're safe. But Mother Nature can be a fickle wench.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

KFVE reported the tsunami is less than half of the original 3' report. A 10cm wave surge was reported but "we're still not out of the woods yet"!

I'm confused, tho'! There's already a large swell happening on north and west shores. So, if, say, a 3' tsunami does hit us, does that 3' swell get swallowed up by the already large swell or does the swell increase by 3'? Or, is the surge the biggest worry?

Update...the watch is being cancelled, per the PTWC.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        [...]Remember, tsunami are not waves on the ocean surface -- they're pressure waves under the surface, until they hit shallow water. (The pressure waves can move at speeds up to 600mph.) At sea, the tsunami may only be an inch or so high, but develop into 30' or far far larger once it hits shallow water.[...]
        Thanks, LN.

Comment

KITV is reporting a cancellation of the watch, but that a small wave is still possible.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            KITV is reporting a cancellation of the watch, but that a small wave is still possible.
            Thanks to everyone for their info. I have family in one of the evacuation zones. You guys are much faster than the Internet news sources.
            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Not a wave, actually, but there still may be unusual currents and eddies. If there was any wave at all, even just one inch, it would still technically be a tsunami wave.

Comment

KITV broke into programming again to say that the watch is cancelled and that beaches should remain clear due to possible "surges" now.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KHNL paused Law & Order to report the cancellation of the watch. Anyway does anyone remember this event of November 2006?

Comment

Ray Lowell at State Civil Defense is on KITV 4 now stating that if a tsunami hits Hawaii, that the waves have a potential to wrap around all coastal areas, even areas facing away from the quake origin.
                    True. Interestingly, the safest place on the shoreline is Kaneohe Bay, being the only place in Hawai`i that has a barrier reef. A large tsunami would cause some water to recede out of the bay, then rush back in, causing a surge, but not a wave. The situation would be even better if it happened at high tide.
                    The Discovery Channel still reruns the Indonesian Tsunami show frequently. The video footage of the water surging out and back in is the best example to learn about tsunami.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; January 12, 2007, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Shoots. I wish I were at my mom's place in Hawaii Kai right now with my camera.

She said when the tidal surge hit from the quake in the Kuril islands in November, the canal behind her house, which opens at Moanalua Bay, had a series of waves strong enough that they actually pitched over! Normally this canal is flat as a lake! The house is approximately 1000' away from the bay. The canal surge might happen again around midnight tonight. That would make interesting video footage. Hopefully some tourists in Waikiki beachfront hotels will have their cameras out.

Scary though. Sure hope those DART buoy readings are correct!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        [...]Scary though. Sure hope those DART buoy readings are correct!
                        Me too! I plan to stay up to watch the anticipated ocean activity and will keep my street clothes on and my purse and computer by the door. Ha! As if I'd have time at that point to flee the scene! Shoot...I wish it was a full moon night. The ocean's only 25 feet away and it's so dark I really can't see it.

Comment

Well, while we're all waiting for the final word on tonight's tsunami, take a look at this National Geographic Channel simulation of what a mega-tsunami from the Big Island would do to Honolulu. Now, that's scary stuff! Fortunately, it probably won't happen during our lifetimes. It might not even happen during the lifetime of our civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                            Well, while we're all waiting for the final word on tonight's tsunami, take a look at this National Geographic Channel simulation of what a mega-tsunami from the Big Island would do to Honolulu.[...]
                            Yikes. For sure Auntie's MWH would be in the inundation zone! It appears all of Oahu would be wiped out.

Hey, PZ...take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Yikes. For sure Auntie's MWH would be in the inundation zone! It appears all of Oahu would be wiped out.

Hey, PZ...take a look at the video. Isn't that SCH denizen, Gerard Fryer?
                              Tutusue, I figured out dat too...but neva say anting cause i neva like make myself scared. It's almost time. I can go moemoe. Are you able to see any action out there? It makes me woder what would happen to the the many Homeless Beach people and their families? Sad ~ totally heartbreaking.

Is our Tsunami Warning/Watch Siren in Excecellent condition unlike the shape it was in several months ago? Tonight was a good time as ever to Test and fix whatever glitches it had in it.

k-en. Nuff babling.
                              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lyjnnie

btw: Again, wat would the Homeless Popilation do if a damaging one strike our islands? I want to know if a plan is in place. Is it's public record which is allowed to be seen by the Public? Where does one go to in an event of a catastrophe occurring in hopes to help our fellow men and women in our community?
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; January 13, 2007, 12:19 AM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/01/13/news/story02.html

Tsunami watch surges Hawaii fears

An earthquake off Japan leaves the state on alert for three hours before word that no destructive wave is expected

Star-Bulletin staff

"Hawaii was under a tsunami watch for three hours last night after an estimated 8.2-magnitude earthquake struck east of the Kuril Islands off Japan.

City officials were concerned about homeless people living on Leeward Coast beaches and were making shelters at Nanakuli and Waianae Intermediate schools available if needed.

Tsunami waves -- generated by earthquakes -- are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore."

Once again, Mahalo fellow HT Members, Mel, Glen M., PZ, Pomai, Mike, Helen, tutusue and LikaNui for the information you contributed.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X