HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

PC Mag's legendary John Dvorak does not buy regular DVDs any more. They're not sharp enough for him. Must be the glasses. He's only watching new HD-DVD releases. And he's frustrated. All these Neo-Luddites are raging against the machine! Poor wretches, frozen in time they are happy with regular DVDs! Asking for a single format. Silly people. Don't they realize these corporations have billions of dollars at stake? And what's all this nonsense with upconverting DVDs? How silly to buy an HD set and not spend the extra change on an HD-DVD player. That's the general gist of the January PC Mag article running on two very long pages.

One possible reason for Mr Dvorak's frustration, and the uninspiring article is the extra free time he gained when he shunned the gentle DVD. As of December 5, 2006 Endgadget counted some 130 HD DVD and 116 Blu-ray releases. That's too few for even an occasional movie watcher and a busy person like Mr. Dvorak, never mind serious movie buffs.

Mr. Dvorak's Neo-Luddites are happy, price-conscious consumers and techno-geeks trying to improve the machine, not break it. An HD set is a large purchase that is simply easier to rationalize. DVD was a revolutionary format. HD is a simple (but significant) improvement. Countless "regular" DVDs can look sweet on HD sets and there is plenty of reasonably priced equipment available to make movie watching a very enjoyable experience. Look up Oppo's 1080p upconverting player or Sony's 400 DVD changer. Dvorak compares upconverting vs HD to tofu vs meat. Funny and somewhat true but it's also true that well-prepared tofu can taste awesome.

I don't believe Mr. Dvorak is irrational, just subservient to the industry that's feeding the never ending consumer techno craze - his bread and butter by the way. In this light I also see the new iPhone which, given the company's size, aspirations and computing expertise could have been a far more inspiring product. Instead we are celebrating another very expensive toy. Kudos to Apple though. Hopefully we'll soon see a far more versatile and powerful mainstream hand held product.

Then we can all worship the machine.

Re: iPhone, HD-DVD and Neo-Luddism

With you all the way there. Except taking Dvorak even remotely seriously. The guy's a professional troll. I especially liked his complaining about XP being slow because of "this new idle process thing" that takes up 99% of the CPU

We laughed at my co-worker when he bought an HD-DVD player for his XB360. We watched some movies on it, and I have to admit.. it looks really nice. I see the promise of the DMD/DLP chips finally coming out here (my dad was a machinst who helped build and design test stuff for that back when TI was developing it, so I got to see a preview back in the early 90s). But really, to me it's just not worth the cost. I've got a laptop hooked up to a 480p projector here, playing regular DVDs, and I'm happy as a pig in slop. It looks stunning compared to everything I've had previously and I can't imagine spending all the extra money to go the next step up, when it also gains you "more secure" DRM (aka against you) and probable obsolesence in a few years when they agree on BluRay or something else instead.

Comment

Especially compared to a high quality up-converting dvd player, like the Oppo ($199)... it's makes it VERY hard to justify paying almost double on alot of your HD-DVD purchases.

it will be a while before they get to force high def DVD's down our throat (meaning they will stop making reg dvd gear in favor of HD gear)

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OPDV971H
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I must be one of those Neo-Luddism fools who brought a HD dvd player.
        I had one of those $199 Oppo upconverting Dvd players hooked up to my 42" 1080p monitors. To me the Toshiba HD dvd player upconverted SD dvds much better than the Oppo.

I started slowing buying HD movies way before I brought my HD Dvd player. I was getting them from Amazon.com when they would go on sale and I get a extra 10% for each purchase.

I waited for the 2nd generation model the Toshiba HD-A2 model and I am very happy with it. I was able to pick it up for $399 + tax and 2 free HD movies from BB. Plus I mailed in for my 3 free HD movie offer from Toshina. Not counting those three HD movies I have 15 in my collection so far.

I ended up selling the Oppo dvd player and use that money to help purchase the HD-A2.

BTW, Still got a couple of Super Beta vcr's in the closet as well as a high end Ed-beta deck and the Ed-beta camera.
        Last edited by kdramafan; January 20, 2007, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Neo-luddists would be shocked. I am jealous so I will try to rain on your parade

HD-A2 does 720p/1080i. Its SD playback was compared to that of an "average" DVD player by some reviews. The HD-XA2 can output at 1080p for around $800 HDA2 will also upconvert only up to 1080i while the new Oppo upconverts to 1080p. My guess is your TV is a Sharp?

Oppo's Faroudja version is around $250. I suspect your model was the one used by video enthusiasts not for direct hookup (decent playback but not in the same league as the Faroudja version) but for its 480i all-digital pass-through in combination with an external video processor. For a price-conscious enthusiast like yourself some cheap but decent machines:

http://www.hometheaterplus.com/luvipr.html

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
            Neo-luddists would be shocked. I am jealous so I will try to rain on your parade

HD-A2 does 720p/1080i. Its SD playback was compared to that of an "average" DVD player by some reviews. The HD-XA2 can output at 1080p for around $800 HDA2 will also upconvert only up to 1080i while the new Oppo upconverts to 1080p. My guess is your TV is a Sharp?
            The Toshiba HD-XA2 is dropping in price the past days. Yesterday Amazon.com was selling for $639. Today it's $609 with free shipping.
            Electronics Expo is selling it through Amazon.com for $586.88 + shipping.

The HD-A2 yesterday was $364 and you get 5 free movies from Toshiba for both HD units.

I'm also hearing that you can pre-order the new HD-20 for $450. Think it comes out end of this month or early April.

My 42" HD Monitor is a Westinghouse LVM-42w2.

Comment

Nice. I have stopped looking. Maybe I'll switch to the dark side. A sensible and very good choice for your tv I have the 37" version and the less sensible Bravia. The Faroudja chip in the Westy might be the reason why you're happy with your dvd's.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                Nice. I have stopped looking. Maybe I'll switch to the dark side. A sensible and very good choice for your tv I have the 37" version and the less sensible Bravia. The Faroudja chip in the Westy might be the reason why you're happy with your dvd's.
                Toshiba made official its long-rumored HD DVD player price cuts.

1. HD-AX2 - MSRP of $999 drops to $799
                2. HD-A2 - MSRP of $499 drops to $399
                3. HD-A20 - (which has not hit the stores yet) - MSRP of $599 drops to $499

In next weeks April 1 Circuit City sales add. You can pick up a HD-A2 for $399 and 4 free HD-DVDs from them. There is also a rebate from Toshiba for another 5 free HD-DVDs. Not a bad deal.

Comment

Toshiba HD-A2 now selling at Costco (Iwilei only and only 9 left) and I think they are at Sam's Club (Keeamoku). Price looks good at $249.00

Well I chose the RED pill and picked one up. As some have posted, upconverting of standard DVD's is awsome and brings them back to life. I picked up one HD-DVD at BB, "the phantom of the opera" and I actually watch the whole movie without falling asleep. Wow.

Comment

Re: HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

Here's a review of the Toshiba HD-A2. Sounds like a good buy.

I only recently got a HDTV, and have lamented elsewhere on my lack of HD programming (we can't get digital cable service, and OTA HD is too weak). Sure, the Wii looks great, as does our basic upsampling DVD player, and HD video via the Apple TV gives me a taste of what HD is like, but... I'm still interested in more.

But, as the CNET review notes, one 'con' of the Toshiba is "HD DVD could lose the format war." As could Blu-Ray. It's just too early to tell which will become the de facto high definition standard, and like most folks, I don't want to end up with a prematurely obsolete media library.

Blu-Ray certainly hasn't been keeping up with the price wars... you used to get a PS3 game system just to get an affordable Blu-Ray disc player. I guess now they've got one under $500... but compared to a $250 HD DVD player? You can guess how sales will go.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Here's a review of the Toshiba HD-A2. "HD DVD could lose the format war."
                      True. I just figure if HD-DVD does loes the war then I would be left with a great upconverter for standrard DVD's.

The deal was too good to pass up. At $249.00 you get an HD player, you get 5 free mail in HD-DVD's (a $124 value), it comes included with and HDMI cable (roughly $80 average).

Although Blu-ray now also does standard DVD's, the HD-DVD was a cheaper option.

Comment

anyone here heard something about the hack for the xb360 hd-dvd player to be a stand-alone player? i heard it from kevin rose of diggnation (anybody else here watches that podcast?)..
                        "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

Originally posted by BluBtl View Post
                          Toshiba HD-A2 now selling at Costco (Iwilei only and only 9 left) and I think they are at Sam's Club (Keeamoku). Price looks good at $249.00

Well I chose the RED pill and picked one up. As some have posted, upconverting of standard DVD's is awsome and brings them back to life. I picked up one HD-DVD at BB, "the phantom of the opera" and I actually watch the whole movie without falling asleep. Wow.
                          I believe the Toshiba HD model selling at Costco is the HD-D2 model. Which is basically the same model as the HD-A2. This just has a different model number because it is made for Costco. Do you know what the model # is at Sam's Club. Any way this is a great price for this model. BB and CC sells them for $299 until the 15 of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by BluBtl View Post
                            True. I just figure if HD-DVD does loes the war then I would be left with a great upconverter for standrard DVD's.

The deal was too good to pass up. At $249.00 you get an HD player, you get 5 free mail in HD-DVD's (a $124 value), it comes included with and HDMI cable (roughly $80 average).

Although Blu-ray now also does standard DVD's, the HD-DVD was a cheaper option.
                            That is the way I look at it. I still have a great upconverting SD dvd player. This
                            HD-DVD and Blu-ray could last a while. I was one of the early adopters and I have about 45 HD-DVDs. I have been buying most of mine used the last 2-3 months. How about "The Ultimate Matrix Collection" for $48 plus $2.98 shipping and that was for a new sealed copy.

Comment

kdramafan, good to hear Im not the only one in da boat. I have only two so far, the phantom and aeon flux, and waiting for my 5 free in the mail. Matrix collection is in the cart at amazon, I read that 2 and 3 are awesome. Im a newbie and still learning the ropes. Where in the world are you buying them used?

Im very picky right now because of the price. Most SD-DVD's look great already due to the upconverting. For example the movie Apocalypto (only on Blu-ray) was amazing on SD-DVD.

I think the sams model is also HD-D2, from what I can see in pictures on AVS forum. I was at costco yesterday and still 9 left. I finally used the costco suggestion box and requested they start selling HD movies (HD-DVD and Blu-ray).

Neutrality is the way to go because everybody wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X