HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HD-DVD & Blu-Ray

Well, before I buy one or the other, I'd have to get a HDTV. The biggest thing holding me back from that is the price of getting HD programming. I don't mind paying $1K for a new toy, it's the monthly price that irks me.

Let's see, it's $11/month more to get digital service. A set top box for $7.40/month. And then $6.95 to get the HD. All that's on top of $43.60/month for analog service for a whopping $68.95 + tax. And yeah, there's taxes.

I'll wait and see what HawaiiTel offers next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Well, before I buy one or the other, I'd have to get a HDTV. The biggest thing holding me back from that is the price of getting HD programming. I don't mind paying $1K for a new toy, it's the monthly price that irks me.

Let's see, it's $11/month more to get digital service. A set top box for $7.40/month. And then $6.95 to get the HD. All that's on top of $43.60/month for analog service for a whopping $68.95 + tax. And yeah, there's taxes.

I'll wait and see what HawaiiTel offers next year.
      Yeah, it sucks that the state of Hawaii can't be covered in OTA digital broadcasting signals due to the terrain. Even before HD TV, it's hard to watch KIKU or KBFD on neighbor islands.

Although I'm sure the [greedy] cable guys are grateful for that.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I'm not sure where the HD transmitters are. I might do just fine OTA. The problem is, I hardly watch anything OTA anymore. It's all Discovery, National Geographic, History, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          I'm not sure where the HD transmitters are. I might do just fine OTA. The problem is, I hardly watch anything OTA anymore. It's all Discovery, National Geographic, History, etc.
          Would be nice if someone would have information on OTA HD transmitters, especially for neighbor islands.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I am very happy with HDDVD A2.. picture is excellent, the price was right. I just rent from Netflix. I did get Planet Earth and the 5 free HD disc offer. Upconverting is even better than my Oppo, which I really was a fan of.
            Brad White
            sigpic
            http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Would be nice if someone would have information on OTA HD transmitters, especially for neighbor islands.

try inputing your address here: http://www.antennaweb.org/
              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

so how does the PS3 do with upconversion?

I have a Oppo 981 right now with a dedicated CD player, but was thinking of selling them to replace with a PS3
                website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

The upconversion is done through firmware upgrade provided to the Cell processor...

If you have the OPPO, you already get pretty good SD DVD upconversion...

The PS3 can also upconvert CD's as well..and the sound through a newly purchased Yamaha RX-V661 receiver is awesome...incredible improvement in CD sound. Been breakin out CDs I havent touched physically in months, since I have ripped my CD collection to my "jukebox PC" in the home entertainment center two or three years ago now...

With the firmware updates Sony has provided (so far) for the PS3 so far, its one of the best additions to our home entertainment center...ever! Not to mention Blu-ray HD movies look amazingly improved, even when compared to upconverted SD versions. Pix and snapshots look great in HD too!

I can dump footage from my Sony HDR-HC1 handycam to a "data" dvd" (no menus or fancy stuff), and get up to 20 minutes( single sided standard DVD-R) HD footage of the grand children. The PS3 displays the Handycam footage in all its HDV glory.

Setup:
                  Yamaha RX-V661 AVR (just added)
                  Bose AM5 speakers
                  Playstation PS3
                  Sceptre XV37 NAGA Display (color calibrated)
                  ------------------------------
                  jock

Comment

The upconversion is done through firmware upgrade provided to the PS3's Cell processor...

If you have the OPPO, you already get pretty good SD DVD upconversion...

The PS3 can also upconvert CD's as well..and the sound through a newly purchased Yamaha RX-V661 receiver is awesome...incredible improvement in CD sound. Been breakin out CDs I havent touched physically in months, since I have ripped my CD collection to my "jukebox PC" in the home entertainment center two or three years ago now...

With the firmware updates Sony has provided for the PS3 so far, its one of the best additions to our home entertainment center...ever! Not to mention Blu-ray HD movies look amazingly improved, even when compared to upconverted SD versions. Pix and snapshots look great in HD too!

I can dump footage from my Sony HDR-HC1 handycam to a "data" dvd" (no menus or fancy stuff), and get up to 20 minutes( single sided standard DVD-R) HD footage of the grand children. The PS3 displays the Handycam footage in all its HDV glory.

Setup:
                    Yamaha RX-V661 AVR (just added)
                    Bose AM5 speakers
                    Playstation PS3
                    Sceptre XV37 NAGA Display (color calibrated)
                    ------------------------------
                    jock

Comment

I'm totally happy with my purchase of the Toshiba A2. Even though if I had waited I could of saved about $150. Now days you can pick one up for $200-$210 when they go on sale. The 2nd generation models are being cleared out since the 3rd generation (A3, A30, A35) are starting to come out.

Heck a few weeks ago Amazon.com had a sale on HD and Blu-ray discs. Buy 2 and get one free. My cost for $19.95 titles were $11.99 each.

They also sold A2's for $210 and that came with 3 free hd-dvds and the 5 from the free rabate offer. The same goes for the Sony PS3. The final cost was about $474 and you got 8 free blu-ray discs.

Here is a sale going on at DeepDiscount.com right now. Prices are not to bad and you get free shipping.

$17.38
                      Aeon Flux
                      Black Rain
                      Coming to America
                      Failure to Launch
                      Four Brothers
                      Hustle & Flow
                      The Italian Job
                      Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
                      The Manchurian Candidate
                      Mission: Impossible
                      Mission: Impossible II
                      Payback
                      Sahara
                      Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
                      Sleepy Hollow
                      The Untouchables
                      The Warriors
                      Trading Places
                      U2 - Rattle and Hum
                      We Were Soldiers

$21.30
                      Face/Off
                      Reds

$23.23
                      Babel

$24.15
                      Black Snake Moan
                      Freedom Writers
                      Mission: Impossible III
                      Nacho Libre
                      Norbit
                      World Trade Center

$25.12
                      Blades of Glory
                      Disturbia
                      Dreamgirls
                      Flags of Our Fathers
                      Shooter

$57.97
                      Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection
                      Last edited by kdramafan; September 13, 2007, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X