Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Defense of "Honkeys"

two things that tick me off all too often:

1. people who are turning left off piikoi to get on lunalilo (is it lunalilo? or liholiho? i get them mixed up) so that they can go on the freeway, and in the process BLOCK THE INTERSECTION for the one lane that becomes two on the left side. i deal with this several times a week, and esp on weekends, this causes major traffic jams for those of us who live in that area and don't want to go on the freeway but want to get to pensacola street.

then again, i generally hate people who block intersections and i WILL drive up to your car and honk obnoxiously (but within what HRS allows) until ya frigggin move out da dang way, dangit! and i'll point at the sign that says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" to educate you on the error of your ways!

2. people who do not signal when switching lanes or turning. my feeling is if you can't flick your middle left finger to do something useful (versus just giving others the bird), then you shouldn't drive, and your middle finger should be cut off. i know--hammurabi-ish of me, but what the heck.

oh yeah--people who say "people that" versus "people who" but then again, if you're the kinda person who (1) blocks intersections and (2) doesn't signal then i suppose you get demoted to being a "that" versus a "who."

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 7

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    2. people who do not signal when switching lanes or turning.
    I feel your pain. However, I use a 5 second following distance, and I always scan my viewing area.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

[...]oh yeah--people who say "people that" versus "people who"[...]
      Bingo!!! Altho' it's a pet peeve of mine rather than something that pi$$es me off. I make too many of my own grammatical errors to let other people that make errors anger me!

Comment

then again, i generally hate people who block intersections and i WILL drive up to your car and honk obnoxiously (but within what HRS allows) until ya frigggin move out da dang way, dangit! and i'll point at the sign that says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION" to educate you on the error of your ways!

Hey wait a minute. If he's blocking the intersection and then you drive up to honk at them, aren't the two of you now blocking an intersection?

Remember the HRS does indicate that you cannot enter an intersection unless it's clear or safe to enter. If someone's blocking it, you shouldn't be driving out into it either even if you do have a green light.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          But Sheesh I understand there are morons out there who don't know how to drive or read signs, but doing the incessant honking to prove their ignorance isn't helping the situation either. It's just pissing off Tufi in the Nofa that's blocking you out and pretty soon Braddah's gonna come out and show you how ignorant he really is.

Not worth it to engage in road rage. As we all know: This is Hawaii...slowwwww down.
          Hey wait a minute. If he's blocking the intersection and then you drive up to honk at them, aren't the two of you now blocking an intersection?

Remember the HRS does indicate that you cannot enter an intersection unless it's clear or safe to enter. If someone's blocking it, you shouldn't be driving out into it either even if you do have a green light.
          if tufi tries to show me how ignorant he really is, in the end, i'll make sure he has a criminal record and either an empty bank account or lien against any future earnings. and if he busts out a gun? well, that's still on him, not on me, and i would figure that God wanted to call me home that day.

as for the other--i've found that my purposeful and educational obnoxoius honking and pointing to the sign that says "DON'T BLOCK THE INTERSECTION" makes them clear the way right quick. problem solved. i've even been applauded by the people behind me for doing it.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

if tufi tries to show me how ignorant he really is, in the end, i'll make sure he has a criminal record and either an empty bank account or lien against any future earnings. and if he busts out a gun? well, that's still on him, not on me, and i would figure that God wanted to call me home that day.

as for the other--i've found that my purposeful and educational obnoxoius honking and pointing to the sign that says "DON'T BLOCK THE INTERSECTION" makes them clear the way right quick. problem solved. i've even been applauded by the people behind me for doing it.
            yeah...works in theory that is. Becoming obnoxious isn't part of the solution. When someone blocks an intersection I just tell myself that yes there is a God and he has a special place for braddah blocking the road ahead of me.

Cool head is what's needed during rush hour, not high blood pressure, life's too short to get sucked into someone elses problem.

Comment

[...]Cool head is what's needed during rush hour, not high blood pressure, life's too short to get sucked into someone elses problem.
              So true. With age comes wisdom!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                So true. With age comes wisdom!
                Eh wait a minute there! Just because junior at Jack in the Box offered me a senior coffee and AARP's been sending me applications for membership, I ain't that old...yet. I'm only 46 (soon to be 47 in a couple of weeks) but boy oh boy, living out here on the Big Island has sure made me slooooowwwww down and boy that Maile smells sooooo good as I drive to work on Volcano Highway every afternoon.

Comment

yeah...works in theory that is. Becoming obnoxious isn't part of the solution. When someone blocks an intersection I just tell myself that yes there is a God and he has a special place for braddah blocking the road ahead of me.

Cool head is what's needed during rush hour, not high blood pressure, life's too short to get sucked into someone elses problem.
                  i find it works in reality just perfectly fine for me, thank you very much.

and god helps those who help themselves...so...thank you god, for giving me the desire to educate people about the error of their bad driving!

Comment

i find it works in reality just perfectly fine for me, thank you very much.

and god helps those who help themselves...so...thank you god, for giving me the desire to educate people about the error of their bad driving!
                    Being obnoxious works fine for you? Well that's your drift I guess. I'm just trying to warn you that one day that attitude will come back and bite you. Getting pissed off is one thing you control, but pissing off someone else to the point of getting out their car and decking you regardless of their consequense is another.

Unless you can defend yourself against all odds, I'd lay off the horn while in traffic. People in your vicinity may applaud you, but people not in your proximity may find you (and correctly so) obnoxious enough to take some form of action (whatever that may be) And that someone may be a police officer just waiting to cite you for whatever he wants.

Yeah drivers who block intersections do piss me off like they do to you, but quite honestly if their actions cause you to react then they got to you.

If it were me that accidently blocked an intersection (and we've all done it once before) and someone kept blaring their horn at me I'd simply roll up my windows and turn up NPR on my car radio. What more could you do to me other than to report me? What would you tell the 911 dispatcher: This guy is blocking the intersection and I'm incessently honking my horn obnoxiously to let him know that.

911 Operator: Police, Fire or Ambulance...

By that time the incident is over and if you weren't breathing up my tailpipe to let me know I'm blocking an intersection you'd be able to read my license plate.

Police dispatcher: What do you mean you can't read his license plate because you're too close, that means you're blocking the intersection as well. We'll send an officer down right away so he can cite both of you...it's the end of the month you know and we have a quota system.

Hey it could happen...technically. But not probably.

Comment

Some good anti road rage, rather anger, advice above. The only reason I can come up with for impatient driving is a medical emergency. There are a lot of idiots on the road and there's nothing we can do about it except to allow extra time for their faux pas.

"Resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other guy dies." (Susan St. James)

Comment

I was in the car with my mother in SoCal some years ago & we got stuck behind a car that had stalled. An idiot pulled up behind us, started leaning on his horn because we didn't move when the light changed.

My mother very calmly got out of the car, walked back to the honker & politely told him "if you'll come up here & get the stalled vehicle started, I'll sit in your car & honk your horn for you". Well, needless to say - the man just got ticked off more, called her several rather colorful names then did a quick u-turn & peeled out in the other direction. Personally, I think she scared the stuff out of him by the confrontation - but, on the other hand, he could have just as easily pulled out a gun & shot her!

Road rage is so stupid - what difference does it make if you have to sit a few seconds or even minutes in traffic? Maybe the person causing the tie-up is having car problems, is sick, passed out - whatevers. I agree with Kimo - horn honking has no place here. and try looking at the people honking most of the horns - I don't think they're from around here
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Being obnoxious works fine for you? Well that's your drift I guess. I'm just trying to warn you that one day that attitude will come back and bite you. Getting pissed off is one thing you control, but pissing off someone else to the point of getting out their car and decking you regardless of their consequense is another.

Unless you can defend yourself against all odds, I'd lay off the horn while in traffic.
                          horn honking has no place in Hawaii. take that back to the conus where it is standard way of saying: I am the center of the universe. I DO own the whole road and I will justify my impatience any way i wanna.

as well as it being a plain obnoxious move, it should not be an inducement to continue along these lines simply because you happen to have other like minded drivers behind you apparently applauding ( how IS that perceptible?!)
                          wanton honking is most emplhatically, illegal here. And in the states. (tho ask a cop why they don't pull over honkeys in el lay and they will say, then the road would be damn near empty!)
                          so i beseech you with as much aloha spit i mean spirit as I can muster; puleese, take it calm and easy on the island roads. If ya don't wanna think about others, how 'bout: drive with aloha; you yourself may feel better for it.
                          (and if you accidentally end up stuck in an intersection, maybe blocking it, cuz trafic stopped suddenly, or the light was too quick, here's hoping others will be mellow behind you too. cuz they prolly will be.
                          start early if you need to get somewhere at an appointed time.
                          "we" thank you in advance.

exatimo. I have seen this island's population "grow" far too fast the last few years. and two areas most hit by a couple maladies; horn honkingitis and an influx of people "not from here" is Kailua. And Hawaii Kai. And well, hate to tell ya; and it may be very surprising to ya, but in these two places mostly, there is an awful lot of impatient horn honking. By people who look "not from here"...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                            puleese, take it calm and easy on the island roads.
                            Maybe we oughta clarify that just a wee bit. Don't take it too calm and easy, cuz while the tourists slow to a crawl to look at the pretty scenery, the rest of us are late to work!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

yea. nice and eazzzyyy braddaa. lah dees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76GZUPxGQjQ

Comment

Working...
                              X