X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In Defense of "Honkeys"

a black spiritual song from the 20's
    hmmm.
    looks at Mike and asks. Mike, ya wanna hold hands and sing with..
    Naah didn't think so.
    turns on the simpsons.

Comment

I was raised not to honk my horn unless it was absolutely necessary. I don't remember who told me that. I guess I thought it was just understood that to do so was kinda rude. I do know that I hear choke complaints from tourists all the time about the situation described: someone blocking up the intersection. I jus laugh and tell them that's what all locals do. I don't even think it's a recent phenomena. It's just what we do

But then again, it does kinda suck. I'm a little surprised that Eric (who I guess is a local) is surprised by this, as it's been happening for as long as I remember. Anyways, I wouldn't get too pissed about the responses here, Eric. Everyones got their opinion on it, and what else is a message board for but to exchange/debate differing opinions.

Comment

Stuff like that happens. It's when there's no effort to get out of the way that kinda irks me. Dunno if I would sit on my horn and make a big scene though...but that's just me.

Comment

just reading this thread and finding it quite entertaining. I am reminded of the time when some lady was furious and pounding her horn and the truckdriver in front of her, committing whatever offense it was the the horn-honker was protesting, returned her ire in kind by whipping a doo-doo diaper onto her windshield/hood of her car.

The car was a late model Honda Civic. The truck was an older Mazda. Both drivers were young and female. And I couldn't stop laughing or recounting that tale for a good week.

pax

Comment

Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 7

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
            horn honking has no place in Hawaii. take that back to the conus where it is standard way of saying: I am the center of the universe. ...

so i beseech you with as much aloha spit i mean spirit as I can muster; puleese, take it calm and easy on the island roads. ..."we" thank you in advance.

there is an awful lot of impatient horn honking. By people who look "not from here"...
            Let me place myself in Ericncyn’s shoes. Or vehicle, as it were.

If Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source for Hawaiian etymology) is correct and the word aloha derives from the Hawaiian words alo meaning "presence," "front," "face," or "share"; and ha, meaning "breath of life" or "essence of life,” then….

If I’m driving my vehicle, I’m using the public roadways to carry on the business of my life. This applies to the other well-meaning drivers on the road as well. If someone were to block the intersection of Piikoi and Lunalilo, they could be obstructing dozens of people from carrying on the business of their lives. Please note that an automotive horn comes under the classification as an emergency signaling device. An emergency signaling device by its very definition is designed to help preserve one’s life and/or the lives of others.

So when someone voluntarily decides to block the particular intersection Ericncyn refers to and does not move out of the way when their light turns red, not only are they breaking the law, they’re displaying their lack of aloha for other drivers they’re blocking. If I am at that intersection and take the initiative to honk at someone who is blocking me at the intersection in question not only am I using my emergency signaling device to “breathe” some life into their ears, but I’m also attempting to clear the way for other law-abiding drivers to pursue the business of their lives – spreading the aloha you could say. Such honking is legal in Hawaii as long as it is within the two minute limit allowed by law.

And if someone were to take so much offense at my attempt to spread aloha that they would attempt an assault on my person (can you say felony assault in addition to a moving violation?) in front of dozens of witnesses, I’d hope that Honolulu’s finest would spread their special version of aloha by riddling the intersection-blocking, aloha-quashing person’s body with the appropriate amount of 9mm hollowpoint expressions of aloha … or at least take them into custody so the perp might at least have an opportunity to contemplate the true meaning of aloha with some new buddies in jail.

Let me put it another way. Would you also object to my calling out for help if I saw a couple being robbed at knifepoint in an alley in Waikiki? Would my yells offend you by intruding on your selfish desire for quiet existence and popping your bubble of “aloha?” Perhaps you should contemplate the true meaning of aloha as you seem to confusing it with complacency and cowardice.

In case anyone is curious, my family’s lived several generations in Hauula, my grandfather spoke Hawaiian, my dad graduated Kahuku with Sam Choy, and have an uncle who is a cop, so let there not be any questions as to whether I am local.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

...and what about all the cars, big rigs, tour buses, taxis, etc. that turn into the right lane only to cut into the left lane after Pensacola?

Comment

>so let there not be any questions as to whether I am local.

there's still a question. ya sure don't sound local.

too many problems here.

ya use wikipedia to help define aloha.
                haha.

you are redefining aloha
                and
                local

anyone acting like someone who enjoys and justifies to such a heavy verbose degree, the arrogant pushy driving style as illustrated in this thread... sure don't sound local. and for the past 50 some odd years here, the usual response to this kinda behaviour is; "shame, shame".
                Last edited by kimo55; January 15, 2007, 05:36 PM.

Comment

horn honking has no place in Hawaii. ...
                  I disagree. When a driver who is so distracted with his cell phone converstaton (another topic altogether) suddenly starts veering into my lane, I'll lean on my horn without regret.

Comment

Originally posted by hebeasor View Post
                    I disagree. When a driver who is so distracted with his cell phone converstaton (another topic altogether) suddenly starts veering into my lane, I'll lean on my horn without regret.
                    well that is quite obviously an exception
                    and obviously the point of the whole discussion does a whoosh her for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by hebeasor
                      When a driver who is so distracted with his cell phone converstaton (another topic altogether) suddenly starts veering into my lane, I'll lean on my horn without regret.
                      I think there's a big difference between someone endangering your safety in a moving vehicle and someone stuck in an intersection. The horn is for safety and emergencies, and a blocked intersection and a couple of minutes of inconvenience does not, IMHO, qualify. A DWY (Driving While Yacking) weaving and venturing into your lane does.

On the other hand... while I wouldn't say horns are used for positive reasons as much as negative ones, I'm certain the ratio is higher in Hawaii than elsewhere. A ten-second pissed off honk is one thing, but a friendly toot-toot to let someone know it's safe to reverse out of a stall or cut in isn't something I'd object to very strenuously.
                      Originally posted by kimo55
                      And Kimo, just drop the personal sniping and your ridiculous "from here/not from here" localness litmus test... 'cause I know plenty of locals who lay on the horn now and then. They might not have the right attitude, or whatever measure you're trying to apply, but you (nor I) can hardly presume to define which mode of thinking is automatically assigned to "locals" -- whatever that means.

People in Hawaii don't have a lock on being gracious or considerate, nor on being obnoxious jerks. I don't care where someone is. Dumbass is as dumbass does, you know?
                      Last edited by pzarquon; January 15, 2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        And Kimo, just drop the personal sniping and your ridiculous "from here/not from here" localness litmus test... 'cause I know plenty of locals who lay on the horn now and then. They might not have the right attitude, or whatever measure you're trying to apply, but you (nor I) can hardly presume to define which mode of thinking is automatically assigned to "locals" -- whatever that means. People in Hawaii don't have a lock on being gracious or considerate, nor on being obnoxious jerks.
                        when i make an observation someone doesn't appear 'local" it obviously is a generalisation. "you don't act what is generally considered a local" as in what many perceive us to be here. and what for many decades we pride ourselve to live. and display. (of course the natural degredation of this, examples you point out, will be self evident in contemporary society, a result of many factors covered completely in other threads.)

When for example they say; "I just moved here and everyone is SOO nice and fulla aloha! Take it from someone that has been here for only a few weeks..... the people here are the nicest people I have ever met. I have been all over the world so I know the difference. I have met nothing but good hearted people and everyone is willing to help me and direct me in the right direction. I meet people everywhere I go and several things have happened to me in the last few weeks that made me question...wow... is this for real... because the actions of kindness of people here are just unreal and the best part is this place makes you a better person"

ya wanna tell those newbies, hey what're ya sayin? everyone on the conus is angry and grumpy? WE don't have a lock on niceness.

aaaahhh c'mon pzarq. yer better than that bulls#!t PC arguement.
                        Last edited by kimo55; January 15, 2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

>so let there not be any questions as to whether I am local.

Weak braddah, weak. Take in the look in the mirror before you launch stones from your glass hale.

too many problems here.

ya use wikipedia to help define aloha.
                          haha.
                          Hahha. Yah. Figga bettah use some outside resources to help edumacate you. Lemme know if need flash cards.

you are redefining aloha
                          and
                          local
                          Nope. Jus helpin you out since you neva learn 'em right da firs time. No charge. Once again, das aloha, braddah.

anyone acting like someone who enjoys and justifies to such a heavy verbose degree, the arrogant pushy driving style as illustrated in this thread The only thing arrogant and pushy as far as driving styles in dis thread is someone who blocks the intersection and refuses to move out of the way when they easily can. Sounds like you're one of those no-aloha drivers and jus tryin to justify this illegal driving behavior. ... sure don't sound local. Actually, most of the people I've seen blocking the intersection look like they not from here. So you half right. Right on. and for the past 50 some odd years here, the usual response to this kinda behaviour is; "shame, shame". That intersection in question didn't exist 50 years ago ... same with most of the traffic. Ho brah, you didn't know that? Mebbe you da one not local. Howz da mirror?
                          Like I said before, don't confuse aloha with laziness and complacency. People who don't show aloha by helping out our braddahs and sistahs on the road by using legal means of discouraging illegal behaviour are just as bad as the perps. Might as well say, "Oh, I wouldn't leave a note one someone's windshield if I saw someone bang their parked car and dig out. 'Cause squealing isn't showing aloha." Blala please.

Hawaii has less "honkiness" than most other metros simply because we have fewer a-holes who would arrogantly block an intersection for their own convenience, among other illegal and/or pushy driving behaviors. If the little honking that goes on helps curb pushy driving behavior even further, then it's a bearable inconvenience. Who knows, the same a-hole you decide not to honk for blocking an intersection may feel like he can get away with anything and den go speeding on the freeway, crashing into your aunty's Corolla and killing her. So who does your perverted version of "lazy aloha" help then? If you too lazy to take some responsibility, or too scared of pissin off some batu head, jus call your kukae what it is ... kukae. Don't hide behind your "Drive Aloha" bumpah sticka and fake aloha.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
                          - Martin Luther King Jr.
                          Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; January 15, 2007, 09:56 PM. Reason: Edited to honor MLK
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

When people block intersections at rush hour here, I just remember an incident that happened earlier this year on McCully. It wasn't even rush hour, but I witnessed two cars obviously locked in a road rage battle around noon. They were switching lanes and blocking each other off. I don't know when it started, but there was no question that there was wreckless driving going on. To my surprise, when I got a look at the drivers, they were both older gentlemen, not teens or people who looked like inexperienced drivers. Finally at the Kapiolani light, I saw one driver get out of his car, walk up to the other car, reach his hand in the window, and start punching the guy repeatedly.

Yes, that was here in Hawaii. I didn't have my cell phone on me or I would have called the police. As it was, I'm hoping someone else did, as the drivers were blocking traffic and still fighting when the light turned green.

My point is that recalling this makes me a lot more patient about other drivers on the road. It also reminds me that none of us are perfect, a lot of us make mistakes, and when I see someone choosing to deliberately be selfish and block an intersection (or do it on accident), I choose to roll my eyes about it, not honk and call more attention to myself. I don't want to find myself punched in the face!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                              I choose to roll my eyes about it, not honk and call more attention to myself. I don't want to find myself punched in the face!
                              i choose to not honk, not to avoid punches, but (and this may be an anomaly,) I just seem to have more patience and time, and a tendency to wanna allow people to exhibit human foibles, as I would hope they allow me mine, than a need to make noise and push and exhibit road manners in diametrical opposition to the way I was raised.

Comment

Laid back locals? Road rage...internet rage...too much rage if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                                X