Superbowl on the non-HD channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl on the non-HD channel

I just found out that the Superbowl is going to be hosted by CBS. Damn! I have been enjoying the playoffs on Fox in HD. I watched the Chargers/Pats today on CBS and was really disappointed in how it looked.

Do you think we will ever get CBS in HD on cable? Probably not in time for the Superbowl, huh?

Re: Superbowl on the non-HD channel

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
    I just found out that the Superbowl is going to be hosted by CBS. Damn! I have been enjoying the playoffs on Fox in HD. I watched the Chargers/Pats today on CBS and was really disappointed in how it looked.

Do you think we will ever get CBS in HD on cable? Probably not in time for the Superbowl, huh?
    The owner of KGMB, Emmis Communications, firmly believes that Oceanic should pay them carrying the HD feed. Since the station is up for sale, I sincerely doubt that Emmis will change their position. Instead, they'll punt and let whoever buys the station negotiate a carriage agreement with Oceanic. It totally sux!

It also sux that at present, KHON can only broadcast live sports in HD (like the aforementioned playoffs). They still can't broadcast their prime time shows in HD. I was SO looking forward to watching Jack Bauer kick ass in HD this season (sigh). This also totally sux!

And as long as we're bitching about the status of HD here in paradise, can anyone explain why KHNL prime time shows sometimes start out in HD and then switch to SD after the first or second commercial break? Sometimes, they'll switch back to HD before the end of the show, but often they don't. Most annoying, and it totally sux!

The only station that seems to get HD right most of the time is KITV.
    No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
      I was dissapointed in how it ended.

Funny, a friend called yesterday to invite us over to watch the SB on his new 60" HDTV... "but it's not gonna be in HD" . Hopefully when we get ours in Nov/Dec prices will have come down a bit more and there will be more HD channels/offerings.

Comment

Superbowl on the HD channel

Actually, KGMB9 does broadcast in HD, so the 6 percent out there without cable are the ones who will see the game in all its high-definition splendor...
        How you can get the HD signal free:

All you need to receive High Definition programming from KGMB9 is an ATSC digital receiver. Your HD Television might even have one built in!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

I've already expressed my views about this to Oceanic/TW. I'm hoping that they'll make an exception to broadcast the SB in HD....like how they did with the Olympics.....remember?

625-8100....call now....operators on stand-by!

Comment

Re: Superbowl on the HD channel

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Actually, KGMB9 does broadcast in HD, so the 6 percent out there without cable are the ones who will see the game in all its high-definition splendor...
            I wish I could take advantage of that. I have a digital receiver. Unfortunately, even if my townhouse complex would allow me to install an outside antenna, due to the terrain in my area it's impossible for me to receive the over-the-air signal. I'm stuck with cable as my only option. Therefore, I'm screwed because of the stalemate between Emmis Communications and Oceanic/Time Warner over the carriage agreement. As I said previously, it totally sux!

Originally posted by Timster View Post
            I've already expressed my views about this to Oceanic/TW. I'm hoping that they'll make an exception to broadcast the SB in HD....like how they did with the Olympics.....remember?

625-8100....call now....operators on stand-by!
            It's not that Oceanic is refusing to broadcast KGMB in HD, it's that KGMB/Emmis is refusing to allow Oceanic to broadcast their HD programming without additional payments. The Olympics were broadcast in HD because of a temporary carriage agreement between Oceanic and KHNL for that purpose. Since no such special agreement was negotiated for the Super Bowl last year, I don't expect to see one this year either, especially since Emmis and O/TW have been playing hardball with each other over the carriage agreement for a couple of years at least.
            Last edited by LarryPrice; January 15, 2007, 11:40 PM.
            No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

My friend complained. He got this response from a KGMB9 exec:

"..there is a "one-time" deal in the works for Oceanic to carry our HD feed on Super Bowl Sunday only. The agreement has not been worked out yet, but in all likelihood if you have the Oceanic HD package you'll see KGMB's HD feed for the Super Bowl."

Woo hoo!

The exec further encourages us to call Oceanic to add KGMB to their lineup. He closes with "the ball is in their court".

Comment

But what irks me is Emmis apparently wants to be compensated by Oceanic to carry KGMB-HD. So in reality the ball is not in Oceanic's court.I don't want my cable bills to increase just because of some greedy TV station owner.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm not taking up for the greedy TV station owner.
                  But, especially in Hawaii, if you need cable TV to receive the local HD channels and/or need a HD cable box or digital/HD programming why should the greedy cable owner get to keep all the money?

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                    I'm not taking up for the greedy TV station owner.
                    But, especially in Hawaii, if you need cable TV to receive the local HD channels and/or need a HD cable box or digital/HD programming why should the greedy cable owner get to keep all the money?
                    I don't understand your thinking on this. Emmis is the one wanting to be compensated for the KGMB-HD, not Time Warner Cable. How does that make Oceanic Time Warner greedy. Is KITV, KHNL, KHON being compensated for their HD channels ?
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      I don't understand your thinking on this. Emmis is the one wanting to be compensated for the KGMB-HD, not Time Warner Cable. How does that make Oceanic Time Warner greedy. Is KITV, KHNL, KHON being compensated for their HD channels ?
                      Yes, those stations are being compensated in one way or the other. Usually in the form of trade, contra or programming agreements. Everywhere except in Hawaii cable franchises pay carriage or retransmission fees to the broadcast stations. This fight is not just with Emmis or KGMB, it's with the entire NAB (National Association of Broadcasters). The cable companies nationwide charges more for different features. Digital cable is a higher tier so the consumer pays more for that package, HD is an even higher tier, the consumer pays even more for that package.

So say you pay $9 more for the Digital cable package and so do 100,000 other Hawaii households. That's $900,000 more dollars Oceanic makes; for what? Carrying HD programming from the broadcast stations. That's not even including the hours of additional commercial inventory it recieves with each station (Millions of dollars). If the stations didn't put millions of dollars into upgrading to HD, Oceanic would have no programming to offer for its HD package.

As capitalist as this might sound to many, the stations didn't put millions of dollars into these upgrades just to enhances the viewing audiences' experience. That doesn't increase the station's bottom line one bit.

Each individual network affiliate in Hawaii went HD because it's station group (the greedy station owner) would minimunize this expediture via additional compensation through its excess digital spectrum. This was the justification of the FCC when it mandated that all broadcast stations go digital by 2009. (sunset).

Across the nation various stations are being pulled of cable & satellite systems over carriage fees. Simply put; broadcasters feel that cable systems are making a lot of money off of them for the upgrades the FCC forced on the, and the cable companies don't want to pay each broadcast station for up to three channels each.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                        ... Everywhere except in Hawaii cable franchises pay carriage or retransmission fees to the broadcast stations. ...
                        Across the nation various stations are being pulled of cable & satellite systems over carriage fees. ...
                        If they're paying the fees as you say, why are they being pulled off?
                        Greg

Comment

They all pay carriage fees for the analog station. Its the renegotiations, digital & HD channels that are the focus of the fight nationwide.

Here's an example of on of the fights that could pull up to 30 staions off of comcast cable:
                          http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=SUPP&nid=2228

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Konaguy, this is a rediculous and uninformed statement you are making. KGMB is available FREE off the air to anyone without cable. Their HD signal is also available FREE off the air to anyone without cable. It is GREEDY OCEANIC CABLE who is CHARGING for HD. Why shouldn’t KGMB get a piece of the action? Why should they GIVE AWAY their signal to Oceanic who is in turn RESELLING IT for a hefty profit?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Konaguy, this is a rediculous and uninformed statement you are making. KGMB is available FREE off the air to anyone without cable. Their HD signal is also available FREE off the air to anyone without cable. It is GREEDY OCEANIC CABLE who is CHARGING for HD. Why shouldn’t KGMB get a piece of the action? Why should they GIVE AWAY their signal to Oceanic who is in turn RESELLING IT for a hefty profit?
                              Well, I have to say that was a lot quicker way of getting to the point than my long rambling explaination. Maybe that's why my kids stop listeningto me after awhile

Comment

Working...
                              X