X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Apparently since I have been on this board you nitpick left and right on what I say here.
    As of this posting, you have 127 posts on HT; do you really feel that I have "nitpicked you left and right?" I remember being baffled by one of the titles of your posts and commenting on that, but in what other way have I been nit-picky? Seriously, if that's how I'm coming across, I apologize. I have not been aware that I have singled you out!

Now to clarify what I said in Your reply to what I said I would not make a guest that is infront of me an idiot who does not know how to insert their card when making a purchase.
    You said you got irritated at people who didn't know how to use the self-checkout lines. I said that I'd appreciate it if I was ever in your store and had a small difficulty, you would let me figure it out for myself without swooping in -- that was MY pet peeve, you see -- and you responded with "uh no." I asked for clarification, because that was confusing. Were you dismissing my pet peeve and saying "No, I will not grant you that favor if you are ever in my Target?" Or were you saying, "No, that is not what I'm talking about?"

I fail to see how anything I wrote is nit-picking, but if that's how it's being interpreted, I'll apologize again.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Unless the lines are really bad, I tend to avoid self-serve registers, particularly because there's no human interaction to it. It feels like you're buying everything from a massive, walk-in vending machine.
      Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Self-service checkout stations were created for two purposes: the MAIN purpose was to reduce the number of cashiers that are required (ha! so instead of having constant interaction with their customers, the cashiers now stand bored or frustrated waiting to help customers who can't figure out how to use the scanners) or for impatient people who don't like standing in long lines.
      I know we've been through this before, but this lack of human interaction is EXACTLY what I want. You're free to disagree, of course, but c'mon. Don't judge (I know you weren't judging, Pomai; that sentiment goes out to anyone who is) a man for being shy or introvertive or independent. Once upon a time, all merchandise was kept behind a counter and you had to ask a clerk to fetch you everything you wanted. For whatever reason, we now grab what we want (at our own paces) and bring everything to a stationary cashier who rings us up. That's a decrease in human interaction, and that's how I like it. The self-service cashier is another step in that direction. I don't see a darn thing wrong with it.

I rarely use those self-service lines because I want to keep as many cashiers employed as possible at the stores I patronize, and I do like the human interaction with them. One local grocery chain here has a "3's a crowd" policy where if there are more than 3 people standing in a line, they will automatically open up another cashier station. Now that's service with a smile!
      That's great if you want smiling. What I want is to quickly and anonymously make my purchases and then to be on my way. I don't need someone to comment on my fancy signature or to see what kind of underwear or medicine I'm buying. I just don't feel comfortable with people knowing that stuff about me. Plus, I like doing stuff for myself. I don't want someone to park my car for me. I don't want someone doing my laundry. I don't even like it much when someone holds a door for me or asks me if I need help carrying stuff. I do like someone to be there in case I need help, but I don't like people assuming that I need or want help.

As for keeping cashiers employed, I'm all for that. That's why I'm not suggesting ALL lines be converted to self-service. I doubt that would ever fly in most places. But let me ask you: When full-serve/mini-serve/self-serve gas stations were still all around, where did you usually pull up? Also, when you're finished loading your groceries into your car, do you return the cart to the cart station, or do you leave it in the lot? Because I've been told that returning carts to stations takes jobs away from cart boys.

That's absurd, of course, but it shows how you can't just let that be the only reason for doing anything.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Rolling blackouts.

Especially when the phlebotomist is drawing my blood.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          When full-serve/mini-serve/self-serve gas stations were still all around, where did you usually pull up? Also, when you're finished loading your groceries into your car, do you return the cart to the cart station, or do you leave it in the lot? Because I've been told that returning carts to stations takes jobs away from cart boys.
          Call me weird, but I was used to full serve gas stations (no self-serve stations back then) when I lived in MA, and I freaked when in driving to Seattle, the only stations that were on the interstates were self-serve! Then when I got to Seattle, all the gas stations I patronized were self-serve, so now I'm used to it. I get freaked now when I go to Oregon because you can't find a self-serve gas station anywhere in that state! Whenever I'm on Maui, though, if there's a full serve option, I'll use that before I go self-serve.

Yes, I return the shopping cart either to the store or to one of the cart stations because I don't want my car to get dinged by a runaway cart. Up here the cart boys are also the grocery baggers, so for them, I'm sure having to retrieve errant shopping carts is more of an irritation than anything else.

Like you said, Scriv, different strokes for different folks. So long as there are choices, there's nothing wrong with that!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Self-service checkout stations were created for two purposes: the MAIN purpose was to reduce the number of cashiers that are required (ha! so instead of having constant interaction with their customers, the cashiers now stand bored or frustrated waiting to help customers who can't figure out how to use the scanners) or for impatient people who don't like standing in long lines.

I rarely use those self-service lines because I want to keep as many cashiers employed as possible at the stores I patronize, and I do like the human interaction with them. One local grocery chain here has a "3's a crowd" policy where if there are more than 3 people standing in a line, they will automatically open up another cashier station. Now that's service with a smile!
            Whenever possible, I always use self-service checkout. Walmart, Home Depot, I always use them. Sometimes I'm even faster than the cashiers.

Where I want to use them is either at Sam's Club or Costco. Imagine carrying the 100lbs rice just to scan it.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Let me clarify working at TARGET there is NO self check out stands to my knowledge here in the Bay Area. I have seen them at Home Dept and Albertsons. The credit card machines is a little box similar to the ones ya see at SAFEWAY goin hi hello there insert your card whenever your ready. And yes there is interaction with the cashier and the customers we call guests.

Comment

We put ours in at Home Depot because customers wanted it. And it speaks in Espanol too!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  And it speaks in Espanol too!
                  I wonder why there's none in Japanese, chinese, filipino, or even pidgin?

And I hate cats (or any other "roaming pets"). I stepped in one of their surprises while cleaning the house today.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                    I wonder why there's none in Japanese, chinese, filipino, or even pidgin?
                    In pidgin at a self-check grocery counter: "put dakine on da counter wit da window insai. Make sure da label stay get da bar kine lines stay on da window. Den go peel da maka on da TV screen. Afta you see da price come up on da TV screen, put dakine in da plastic bag. Afta you all pau doing lidat wit all dakine, you going see how much kala you stay owe. If you get pepa money, go put insai da slot to da right. You get credit card oa EBT? Den go stick 'em insai da slot marked "credit card". Den da machine going give you one pepa. When you see da pepa, hemo 'em because dat your receep. Now you pau. Mahalos."

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Nah goin be la dis:

Eh brah scan em

Wassup hurry up wit da next buggah dis is automation

Okay ante up pally an no use dakine EBT card dis one hardware store

Ho wow braddah da bank dat says yes just wen say no way

Comment

I hate it when people have to upgrade their computer's hardware every 6 months! Someone on another board said that they gotta upgrade their dual 7800's. Some of us still use single video cards - heck others still use integrated!

I'm just lucky cars aren't like computers.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                          I'm just lucky cars aren't like computers.
                          Ahhh, but cars ARE computers now! Wait until the first virus hits a car's master controls..."you have been assimilated"

Miulang

Comment

MUST. GET. THIS. OUT. OF. HEAD.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              Ahhhhhh!!! I hit the link!!! I'm possessed now....Oh well at least now the Sponge Bob Square Pants theme has been replaced

Comment

Okay, I just got done with the weirdest request I've gotten so far at my job: type a resume, work summary and reference page. What's weird you ask? The guy had the nerve to put typing and MS word/excel skills on the resume! This 30 minute job became an hour's job as he sat next to my computer as I typed it out. Alas, I couldn't do anything bad to him or his resume, so after an hour's worth of typing (thank you Heald for giving me the typing stamina) I just charged him a dollar per printed page.

Atleast I'm not bored now.

Comment

Working...
                                X