Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    keep overgeneralizing.
    Keep wishing.

Quote Originally Posted by PoiBoy View Post
    Keep wishing.
    Oh, now you don't want to discuss. good thing. your views are rooted in residual plantation hate and are quite antiquated.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Oh, now you don't want to discuss. good thing. your views are rooted in residual plantation hate and are quite antiquated.

If you wan't to say something then speak up. Dont beat around the bush eh!
    Here, i'll start off-
    No koko = No kanaka Maoli/Hawaiian.

Default Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 8

OMG!!!! Adrain, why did you do what you did?

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Default Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 8

what thread is this?!

my new pet peeve is people knocking a thread off target by arguing about perceived fictitious racial mindsets.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

I don't think the 2 parties are very far apart because they both play the same game. Compromise...corruption. They have a set of rules already written so they have limited moves they can make. The whole system of government and way of life needs to go. Key to any great nation is self sufficiency. Globalization will be the death of humanity. Do you disagree?
    In part. We are in agreement regarding the two-party system's failures, but not regarding globalization. Considering the unequal distribution of the planet's resources, true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation. Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict. Imperialism does not need to be the only alternative to isolationism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    my new pet peeve is people knocking a thread off target by arguing about perceived fictitious racial mindsets.
    Good one.

Which target - crowded aisles at Costco, or not having the day off in honor of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

I know PoiBoy is bringing up arguments that have been discussed time and time again on HT (he is new here, after all), but I'm interested in hearing his political perspectives; I don't feel qualified to play in the racial sandbox on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    In part. We are in agreement regarding the two-party system's failures, but not regarding globalization. Considering the unequal distribution of the planet's resources, true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation.
    You don't think people can live off the land and sea like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?

your said: "Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict"

sounds like today

true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation.
    Poor countries are poor because of government corruption and plain stupidity.

You don't think people can live off the land like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?
    Honestly? No, sir. Not any longer. I do not believe the Earth can sustain the present/growing population, and nothing short of a massive die-off of a large chunk of the human population would bring us to a point of said sustainability again - and even that could not be guaranteed with all the toxicity we have brought about in the past hundred years or so.

It's a beautiful dream, in a fashion, but we have long ago passed the point where we could return to it. Too large a percentage of humanity would want to keep much of what we have accomplished in the way of technology, even if it were only for its benefits, such as advances in medical science. We desire the benefits, but they would still be accompanied by the negatives of technology and industry; they can not be separated.

If you somehow could return to the days of "living off the land," prepare for a return to the days of rampant epidemics and a lilfe-span that barely extends to half a century.

You don't think people can live off the land and sea like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?

your said: "Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict"

sounds like today
    live off the land and sea? isnt the sea overfished now? id like to see us be more self-sustainable, but how does that happen? what happens again if there a huge disaster in hawaii (like new orleans - and if new orleans gets rebuilt, does that make it new new orleans?)
    how much food do we have to sustain ourselves? how much toilet paper and fresh water? is it possible to sustain 1,000,000+ people off of land and sea?
    itd be cool if we had more farms, fish farms, and alt power.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Honestly? No, sir. Not any longer. I do not believe the Earth can sustain the present/growing population, and nothing short of a massive die-off of a large chunk of the human population would bring us to a point of said sustainability again - and even that could not be guaranteed with all the toxicity we have brought about in the past hundred years or so.

It's a beautiful dream, in a fashion, but we have long ago passed the point where we could return to it. Too large a percentage of humanity would want to keep much of what we have accomplished in the way of technology, even if it were only for its benefits, such as advances in medical science. We desire the benefits, but they would still be accompanied by the negatives of technology and industry; they can not be separated.

If you somehow could return to the days of "living off the land," prepare for a return to the days of rampant epidemics and a lilfe-span that barely extends to half a century.
    If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible.

You either pay a little now...or pay alot later. Would you agree? One fday it will come down to "the point of no return" but I don't think it has reached that critical of point yet.

You bring up "choice"...and that's where I live in fantasy land.
    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.

is it possible to sustain 1,000,000+ people off of land and sea?
    itd be cool if we had more farms, fish farms, and alt power.
    We do that already.

Consumerism is what drains the earth of natural resources. It also leads to outsourcing.

Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power. Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible.

You either pay a little now...or pay alot later. Would you agree? One fday it will come down to "the point of no return" but I don't think it has reached that critical of point yet.

You bring up "choice"...and that's where I live in fantasy land.
    I'm pleased by your optimism. I don't share it, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I think there are plenty of steps you could take, to make positive change and spread that optimism around. It sounds like you want to see some great improvements in the world, in how populations are fed and governed.

Rather than the generalities we've discussed thus far, what specific steps are you presently taking (or will take in the near future) to bring about these changes? Are you working with existing NGOs, or starting your own programs? Are you focusing on just the population of the Hawaiian Islands at present, and if so, do you plan to widen your base? How are you spreading your views, educating others, convincing people of your perspectives? Do you operate websites where we can find suggestions on what we, as individuals, can do to bring about the changes you desire?

Up to now, it's just been talk between us. How are you, personally, turning that into action? In a variation on Gandhi's words, how are you "be(ing) the change you want to see in the world?"
    My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking.
    Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power.
    Now, I'm getting a little confused by you here. Are you suggesting self-sufficiency of the entire United States (not just Hawai`i)? Isn't it the government of the United States that is responsible for "raping and oppressing" the "indigenous peoples and cultures around the world," including the kanaka maoli and the Kingdom of Hawai`i? Help me adjust my focus.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 15th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.

"Now, I'm getting a little confused by you here. Are you suggesting self-sufficiency of the entire United States (not just Hawai`i)? Isn't it the government of the United States that is responsible for "raping and oppressing" the "indigenous peoples and cultures around the world," including the kanaka maoli and the Kingdom of Hawai`i? Help me adjust my focus.
    I said:
    "My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking. But it can be applied in much broader sense.."

I didn't think you would support Hawaiian nationalism...so I used the u.s as an example.

My goal is not to save the world. But to save my people and preserve our cultural and customs that our ancestors have bestowed upon us. To fight the exploitation and rape of my indigenous culture. I try to do my part..... It's a battle...

People have many of the answers to life's problems...but just as you said it's "choice"

Maybe I can lead by example. And others will follow.
    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.

My goal is not to save the world. But to save my people and preserve our cultural and customs that our ancestors have bestowed upon us. To fight the exploitation and rape of my indigenous culture. I try to do my part..... It's a battle...
    You sound young, noble and energized. Not yet slapped down by the world. It's a nice place to be, but you are far from ready to do battle. Hang on to your idealism when you lose your innocence.
    If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible...You either pay a little now...or pay alot later...Maybe I can lead by example. And others will follow.
    Many simple platitudes, yet no solid proposals. I have asked for specific examples of what you, as an individual, plan to do to back up your thoughts, your ideas, your goals and your proposals, yet you have repeatedly failed to do so. Lead by example, by all means - but you need to have some examples to share with us, or no one will follow.
    You bring up "choice"...but just as you said it's "choice"
    Actually, I don't know why you've said that twice now, with "choice" in quotes, implying that I said it - but I have not used that word.

Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
    Well, it depends on what kind of life you'd like to live. Personally, I like books and movies and automobiles, and these are things we just don't have the resources to produce ourselves. The waste by-products created in producing the raw materials used in the products, all by itself, is something I'm not willing to introduce to Hawaii. Let those other places deal with the waste and pollution.

But your conviction is admirable. What do you think can be done about it?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

We do that already.

Consumerism is what drains the earth of natural resources. It also leads to outsourcing.

Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power. Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
    what?
    you talking about hawaii or what? you dont make any sense. consumerism has to do what with being self sufficient? outsourcing what? jobs? beef? huh?

why go ethanol when we can research hydrogen cars? i read that in 10 years it is possible, if we put the focus and money on research like how the us did during the space race.

do you walk, bike or drive to work?

this thread is about minor pet peeves. go make another thread about how asians are posers or something.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Exclamation Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

One thread about what annoys is enough, me thinks. (Too many annoy me.) I'm officially retiring "What Pisses You Off" and merging the stray here. Carry on... such as things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    You sound young, noble and energized. Not yet slapped down by the world. It's a nice place to be, but you are far from ready to do battle. Hang on to your idealism when you lose your innocence.
    It's called cultural pride. It can never go away. I am blessed with "Mana"...something you will never have and never understand.

Many simple platitudes, yet no solid proposals. I have asked for specific examples of what you, as an individual, plan to do to back up your thoughts, your ideas, your goals and your proposals, yet you have repeatedly failed to do so.
    Are you Kanaka Maoli? Maoni? Maosi? Maori? Maohi?
    Actions are already in place. You know nothing of the struggles of these indigenous people.

Lead by example, by all means - but you need to have some examples to share with us, or no one will follow.
    Who are you? Are you of my people? Do you share my culture?
    Why should I lead you?

My intentions are NOT to save the world...or your world. My intentions are to preserve the indiginous peoples of Sa'moana culture. And I am one of many involved in this preservation.

once again..I said-
    "My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking. But it can be applied in much broader sense.."

What you guys chose to do with the u.s is up to you. I was just giving broad examples that can be applied to any nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent
    this thread is about minor pet peeves. go make another thread about how asians are posers or something
    Hellbent- Reading Comprehension. It doesn't say "minor" pet peeves.

Scrivener-how about plays instead of movies? You bring up some good points about waste by-products. Ethanol burns clean. How bad do you want it? Does Hawai'i need tourism? Or is it the rich developers that need tourism. What do I think can be done about it? I believe in "taking a step back to go forward".
    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15th, 2007 at 04:45 PM.

Scrivener-how about plays instead of movies? You bring up some good points about waste by-products. Ethanol burns clean. How bad do you want it? Does Hawai'i need tourism? Or is it the rich developers that need tourism. What do I think can be done about it? I believe in "taking a step back to go forward".
    As a matter of fact, you're talking to a former drama teacher, so of course I love plays, but what I'm asking about is true self-sufficiency. You keep bringing up ethanol, but what are you hoping to use the ethanol in? If you're suggesting that it should be used in vehicles, where will these vehicles be produced? If in an island nation, where would the raw materials for the steel, rubber, and plastic come from? You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.

What I'm asking is this: When you say "self-sufficient," do you really mean "self-sufficient?" How large a step backward are you willing to take?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.
    Didn't the Flintstones have a car made of that?

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener
    As a matter of fact, you're talking to a former drama teacher, so of course I love plays, but what I'm asking about is true self-sufficiency. You keep bringing up ethanol, but what are you hoping to use the ethanol in? If you're suggesting that it should be used in vehicles, where will these vehicles be produced? If in an island nation, where would the raw materials for the steel, rubber, and plastic come from? You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.
    Horses?

What I'm asking is this: When you say "self-sufficient," do you really mean "self-sufficient?" How large a step backward are you willing to take?[/
    All the way. I've lived in Samoa in an outside fala. I would go spear fishing, pick taro, and climb up a coconut tree. I have no problem with going "primitive". I would prefer it. I also think it's possible to blend the old with the new. I think Samoa is a perfect example.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast