A new Gulick Deli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Gulick Deli?

Walking past the very first Makino Chaya in McCully, I noticed that ... it’s closed! A small banner announcing “Gulick Deli Coming Soon” was pasted across the restaurant sign. I’m assuming this is an extension/expansion of Gulick Delicatessen, the well-known okazuya in Kalihi.

Does anyone know what’s happening? Heard any rumors? [BTW, it’s just across the street from Ebisu, another well-known okazuya.]

Re: A new Gulick Deli?

yeah...today, while going to work...I passed by that Gulick Deli and they had a big banner on the side of the bldg...but didnt know if it was same mgmt or if the orig. owners closed and moved...to mccully i guess. As for that Chaya one....I have a HUGE hunch...they moved to Aloha Tower Mktplce. The Midweek flyers had a grand opening flyer reg. this and now...ATM has a HUGE banner fronting Nimitz Hwy.

Comment

If you every go to Las Vegas eat at MAKINO. The LV owner told me the Honolulu one is an embarrassment to the chain. The LV one is the BOMB!

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
        If you every go to Las Vegas eat at MAKINO. The LV owner told me the Honolulu one is an embarrassment to the chain. The LV one is the BOMB!
        I went to the Pearl Ridge Makino Chaya ~ I enjoyed the food! You get to choose from their menu (2 items) and order all you like on top of getting from the many items from their buffet. Sushi, Dessert, and other delicious foods.

From their Menu ~ Char-broiled Steak, lobster, prawns, stuffed prawns, sushi platters, etc.

From their Buffet ~ Steamed Opakapaka with soy ginger sauce, Alaska King Crab Legs, Fried Chicken Wings, so much more!!!

Sushi Buffet ~ Fresh and so much to choose.

Dessert ~ Not like Todai's. But the chocolate fountain is much to be experienced and enjoyed!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          Walking past the very first Makino Chaya in McCully, I noticed that ... it’s closed! A small banner announcing “Gulick Deli Coming Soon” was pasted across the restaurant sign. I’m assuming this is an extension/expansion of Gulick Delicatessen, the well-known okazuya in Kalihi.

Does anyone know what’s happening? Heard any rumors? [BTW, it’s just across the street from Ebisu, another well-known okazuya.]
          Yes, it's true. This is actually their new SECOND location, now in the spot where Makino Chaya used to be on King St. They still operate the one on Gulick Avenue.

It takes up just the right-hand portion of Makino's floor space, where the kitchen was/is, and is just a small take-out deli, not having anywhere to sit. The left side looks like they're renovating to lease to someone else.

Here's a few plates from the Gulick's King St. location...

Gulick Deli's Shrimp Tempura, Fish Cake and Vegetable Tempura

Gulick Deli's Chow Fun, Nishime, Ume Musubi and Teriyaki Burger.

All that came out to $10.

Makino Chaya is now bigger and better in Aloha Tower Market Place.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Yes, it's true. This is actually their new SECOND location, now in the spot where Makino Chaya used to be on King St. They still operate the one on Gulick Avenue.
            Heh. I still refer to that spot as "where King's Bakery used to be".

Makino Chaya? What's that?

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA

I just came back from the original Gulick Deli. Bought two plates foa MAMA, Antonio and me. Pau eat already and full. Was ono.

No pictures.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                Heh. I still refer to that spot as "where King's Bakery used to be".

Makino Chaya? What's that?
                I also do that sometimes... that's where King's Bakery used to be too.
                Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

If the Honolulu Makinos are an embarrassment to the chain, then the Mililani Makino is an abomination.

As for Gulick, good they're expanding. Haven't been by the original place in ages and often think about it when I'm in town. I'm just feeling a bit old for these places as I often will buy what I used to be able to eat all of, but can't nowdays. Even Makinos is only poho if cannot eat that much anymore.

Comment

True dat!! How much does the dinner buffet cost here anyway? I don't know because we were treated to dinner at the one here. But it was no where near the variety and quality of the Vegas one which I think was a little over $20 per.

Anyway, I think I'll try out the New Gulick today.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                      True dat!! How much does the dinner buffet cost here anyway? I don't know because we were treated to dinner at the one here. But it was no where near the variety and quality of the Vegas one which I think was a little over $20 per.
                      Which Makino Chaya location are you folks referring to? Our experience at the Aloha Tower location (twice for lunch) was FANTASTIC. Really, $12.95 for all that food? By far the best deal in town. PLUS it includes made-to-order Teppanyaki steaks. Can't complain about that!

Sometimes it matters not only where, but WHEN you go. We arrived as soon as they open at 11:30am, so the lines were rather short and the food was hot and fresh.(end OT)

Anyway, I think I'll try out the New Gulick today.
                      Bring enough cash. It can add up. Especially if you order the shrimp tempura and Nishime.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Which Makino Chaya location are you folks referring to? Our experience at the Aloha Tower location (twice for lunch) was FANTASTIC. Really, $12.95 for all that food? By far the best deal in town. PLUS it includes made-to-order Teppanyaki steaks. Can't complain about that!

Sometimes it matters not only where, but WHEN you go. We arrived as soon as they open at 11:30am, so the lines were rather short and the food was hot and fresh.(end OT)

Bring enough cash. It can add up. Especially if you order the shrimp tempura and Nishime.
                        Gotta be where, den. Sounds like they saved the best for town. Pearl Ridge Makinos is only okay. Mililani revamped their whole program. No more menu orders or large dessert buffets. The price is lower, but it's slowly creaping back up. When they first opened, dinner ran around $25 per head not including $2.50 for drinks. Dinner is now just under $20, slightly higher from their second opening prices because they reintroduced snow crab and cocktail shrimp and they also offer all you can "take" takeout. Lunch is around $9. Pearl Ridge prices are still way up there. (sorry OT)

Amen to the extra kala. Wasn't uncommon to spend $20 for only my lunch.

Comment

Working...
                        X