Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rome" on HBO

Anyone here watch "Rome" on HBO?

I know there are at least a few, since I found one thread that mentions it. To be honest though, I'm a little surprised there appear to be so few here that watch it. It's a fantastic show!

The second season started this week, and watching the first episode, I remember why I love this show so much. It picks up right where season one left off, with Caesar's body still lying on the senate floor and Mark Antony still standing just outside.

For those of you who watched it...

Do you think Erastes Fulmen really killed Vorenus's children? The part of me that likes happy endings hopes not, but I think it will be interesting to see how losing everyone he loves unravels the normally moral Vorenus. It will also be interesting to see if marriage will change the normally not-so-moral Pullo.

I'm also eager to witness Octavian's carefully calculated brutality as he takes control of Rome and wages war with Mark Antony. I love the way the writers put a bit of spin on history, so it will be interesting to how much Octavia (having been left by Antony for Cleopatra) had to do with her brother going after Antony and Cleopatra.

I just hope the second season covers that much since it's going to be the last. From what I've read, the show just costs too much to produce. I've read that an older actor will play Octavian from episode 6 and on, so I'm hoping we'll at least get to see a Roman emperor by the last episode.
    Last edited by zff; January 17, 2007, 08:35 AM.

Re: "Rome" on HBO

My boyfriend enjoys watching it. I don't have HBO myself, so I miss out on a lot of great HBO shows. I kinda like Entourage, but that's another thread.

Comment

Haha, I forgot I even started that thread. Probably because it seemed like there was only one or two other people here that followed HBO.

Anyways, I love reading about ancient history and so was a big fan of the first season of "Rome". We had HBO last year, but had to cancel it because it was just too expensive. But I got a buddy of mine to tape the first episode of season 2 for me and watched it the other day. Good stuff.

As for your spoiler questions (I don't know how you did that spoiley thing, but doesn't seem like it matters anyways since I think we're the only two that watch it here ):
      - I think Vorenus' children are still alive. Fulmen knew that he was a dead man, and wanted it to be quick and painless. So he told Vorenus something that would enrage him and make him do what he did. At least, that's how I saw it. My slant on it is Fulmen prolly sold them as slaves and maybe they'll appear toward the end of the season to save Vorenus from the dark road he seems headed.
      - I like how Vorenus and Pullo seemed to have switched places: now Vorenus is the bad boy and Pullo is the conservative married man. It looks like Vorenus is going to be the new leader of the Aventine, from the previews of the next episode.
      - Octavian and Antony should be really interesting to watch. The kid who plays Octavian is great. That kinda sucks that they're going to replace him with an older actor midway thru this season.
      - I loved that scene where Antony kills Pompei's son. Just had to mention that.

One thing I wish they had shown was Antony's famous speech at Caesar's funeral. Oh well.

Oh, and just in case Tiabla reads this (from my original thread): we just got thru the first season of "The Wire" and are partway thru the second season. You're right, it's a fantastic show. Omar might be right up there with Al Swearengen as my favorite character of all time!

Comment

oh, i love love love "rome." i stayed up til 4:00 a.m. on a monday morning once to watch several eppies at once off of HBO on demand. i got the beau addicted, sorta, too.

vorenus is HOT!! and the beau doesn't mind i hold that opinion.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          One thing I wish they had shown was Antony's famous speech at Caesar's funeral. Oh well.
          I KNOW! Me too! I was looking forward to that during the entire off-season. I figured they would either show it in the first or second episodes. I was a little disappointed with that.

- I think Vorenus' children are still alive. Fulmen knew that he was a dead man, and wanted it to be quick and painless. So he told Vorenus something that would enrage him and make him do what he did. At least, that's how I saw it. My slant on it is Fulmen prolly sold them as slaves and maybe they'll appear toward the end of the season to save Vorenus from the dark road he seems headed. [...] It looks like Vorenus is going to be the new leader of the Aventine, from the previews of the next episode.
          It would be interesting to see Vorenus build a successful criminal business -- with criminal commitments he can't back out of -- only to have everything go into an upheaval again when he discovers his children are alive. He's still a senator, isn't he?

- I loved that scene where Antony kills Pompei's son. Just had to mention that.
          Yes, that was a great scene. I also loved that scene where Fulmen, disgusted at Antony's conduct at Caesar's funeral, was going on about dignity and respect -- despite what was going on on the staircase behind him. Did you catch that? Hilarious.
          Last edited by zff; January 17, 2007, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            vorenus is HOT!! and the beau doesn't mind i hold that opinion.
            lol. Vorenus is hot, eh? My wife thinks that Pullo is hot. I'm horrified at the lack of taste that both of you show . Where's da love for Antony?

Originally posted by zff View Post
            It would be interesting to see Vorenus build a successful criminal business -- with criminal commitments he can't back out of -- only to have everything go into an upheaval again when he discovers his children are alive. He's still a senator, isn't he?
            Hmm. You're right. Vorenus is still technically a senator, given that Antony's bribe worked and they all keep their status. It should be veeeeery interesting to see what kind of storyline they go with that. I assumed that Vorenus was going to be the new underworld boss, like Tony Soprano. I wonder how he'll balance that with his political position?

Yes, that was a great scene. I also loved that scene where Fulmen, disgusted at Antony's conduct at Caesar's funeral, was going on about dignity and respect -- despite what was going on on the staircase behind him. Did you catch that? Hilarious.
            Haha. No I missed it. I'll have to go back and check that out.

I also forgot to mention the scene where Brutus looks at his mom and says "You too, Mother?" Classic. I assume it's a play on the whole "Et tu Brutus?" that Caesar is supposed to have said when Brutus stabbed him. I've read differing accounts, but the most accurate states that Caesar didn't say anything to Brutus. Anyways, I like how they put that in there. Very clever and funny.

I'd also say that the relationship between Vorenus and Pullo is really touching. The affection that the two have for each other is really genuine. I think I've rewound and played that gladiator fight from season one at least 20 times!

Can't wait for the next episode...

Comment

I must admit I was unimpressed with Rome. While the production values were amazing (and they better be for $100 million!), I found the story lacking. The characters seemed cartoonish and the story was plodding at times. Rome is still better than 90% of what's out there, but I didn't think it was up to par with the other great HBO dramas. Still, I just read a New Yorker review in which a reviewer who was lukewarm about the first season loved the second season, so I'll probably check out the second season when it comes out on DVD.

Oh, and just in case Tiabla reads this (from my original thread): we just got thru the first season of "The Wire" and are partway thru the second season. You're right, it's a fantastic show. Omar might be right up there with Al Swearengen as my favorite character of all time!
              Awesome - glad you're enjoying The Wire! I believe Omar is one of the best characters in tv history!

*goes away whistling The Farmer and the Dell*

Comment

I also forgot to mention the scene where Brutus looks at his mom and says "You too, Mother?" Classic. I assume it's a play on the whole "Et tu Brutus?" that Caesar is supposed to have said when Brutus stabbed him. I've read differing accounts, but the most accurate states that Caesar didn't say anything to Brutus. Anyways, I like how they put that in there. Very clever and funny.
                You sound like you're a big fan of history, or at least of ancient Roman history. I was always fascinated by their engineering achievements, but the actual events and people have never interested me much.

Until now.

Ever since I started watching this show, I've read gigabytes worth of stuff on Roman history, including places, events and people from Romulus to Constantine the Great. All very fascinating stuff.

I'm sure history purists are probably complaining about the liberties the show's writers are taking, but I think it's all great. I've read enough to know Octavia should have children or Octavian should've been in Illyria, but if the writers hadn't "tarted up" the stories a bit, I might never have been interested enough to learn those things on my own.

Besides, I think the show provides wonderful insight into what life must have been like back then. I love the little throw-away scenes like Caesar's and Atia's slaves discussing dinner party plans or Vorenus's younger daughter scurrying across a deserted forum.

Comment

Kinda pricey but Netflix should have it as well. One of my favorites BTW, anyone who liked Rome should try I, Claudius. It's a bit dated (1977) and Romans sometimes look a tad too British lol but the story is very gripping. Based on a just as addictive novel by Robert Graves.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...kstorenow59-20

http://www.amazon.com/I-Claudius-Der...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Comment

Try also Robert Harris' novels "Imperium" and "Pompeii."
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

ROME ROCKS!

My husband heard about it so bought Season 1 on DVD and we both totally got hooked. If you don't have HBO, definitely buy the DVD - it's a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.

An added feature in the DVD is the interactive onscreen guide prepared by the series' historical consultant, Jonathan Stamp. It helped us to understand a lot of the rituals that were performed and the language used.

Now that the second season has started, we have HBO and I loved the first episode but I think I preferred watching it on DVD. For one thing, we didn't have to wait a week for the next installment! Also, I miss the interactive guide, I mean, why did that fat lady put her nipple into the mouth of Cesar's corpse? I suppose I could look it up but I miss that whole, touch of a button convenience.

What I didn't like is that 2 of my favorite characters were killed off at the end of season 1 - Niobe and Cesar. My husband is glad Niobe is dead (well, he's about to leave for Iraq and has warned me not to "do a Niobe" while he's away at war - LOL) and as for Cesar, as my husband said, we knew he was going to die. Yes, we knew it was going to happen and we knew how and we even knew when but I'm still going to miss him. The actor who portrayed Cesar (Ciaran Hinds) is BRILLIANT!

Pullo IS hot and so is Antony! Just love those BAD BOYS!
                      Last edited by kiwidiva; January 21, 2007, 04:55 AM.
                      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                        An added feature in the DVD is the interactive onscreen guide prepared by the series' historical consultant, Jonathan Stamp. It helped us to understand a lot of the rituals that were performed and the language used.
                        Wow, that makes the DVDs worth it right there.

Regarding the most recent episode... did anyone catch what Atia whispered into Cleopatra's ear?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                          I must admit I was unimpressed with Rome. While the production values were amazing (and they better be for $100 million!), I found the story lacking. The characters seemed cartoonish and the story was plodding at times. Rome is still better than 90% of what's out there, but I didn't think it was up to par with the other great HBO dramas. Still, I just read a New Yorker review in which a reviewer who was lukewarm about the first season loved the second season, so I'll probably check out the second season when it comes out on DVD.
                          That's too bad you didn't like it. I'm not gonna try to change your mind, cuz I everyone's got their own tastes, but I don't think the characters were that cartoonish. Not anymore so than a gay, black, Robin Hood figure who robs from the bad and gives to the good while walking around with a shotgun and whistling the Farmer in the Dell . I'll admit that it can be a little slow, but I'm into Roman history, and it doesn't bother me much.

Regarding the most recent episode... did anyone catch what Atia whispered into Cleopatra's ear?
                          I just watched it earlier this afternoon and I didn't catch it all, but I heard the word "trollop" at the end. So I doubt the beginning of it was a feel-good farewell.

And to your earlier post, yeah, I'm a big fan of ancient history: Roman, Greek, you name it. Unfortunately, it's not my major, but whenever I get a chance at a free elective, I'll take a history class.

Great second episode. Really intense encounters: Antony/Atia with Cleopatra, Antony with Vorenus, Antony with Octavian. I guess the common theme is Antony. The guy who plays him is just amazing.

You caught who was in those slave wagons at the end of the episode, yeah?

Comment

Great second episode. Really intense encounters: Antony/Atia with Cleopatra, Antony with Vorenus, Antony with Octavian. I guess the common theme is Antony. The guy who plays him is just amazing.

You caught who was in those slave wagons at the end of the episode, yeah?
                            Yes, I did! Your theory was correct!

I really liked that fight between Antony and Octavian. It was sloppy and realistic, not the typical choreographed Hollywood fight sequence. It sort of reminded me of the fight between Tony Soprano and Ralph Cifaretto, except in Rome's case, I knew no one was going to die.

Comment

I really liked that fight between Antony and Octavian. It was sloppy and realistic, not the typical choreographed Hollywood fight sequence. It sort of reminded me of the fight between Tony Soprano and Ralph Cifaretto, except in Rome's case, I knew no one was going to die.
                              Another classic fight was the one between Dan and Captain Turner from the third season of Deadwood. HBO knows how to depict realistic fights. They're so far ahead of the curve when it comes to quality compared to network television.

Just watched last weeks episode and here's a few of my thoughts (note: spoilers ahead)

What I liked:
                              • The scene between the slave/assassin and Servilia. Great dialogue, great acting.
                              • Antony's reaction as Ciceros speech was read. The guy who plays Antony really does a great job of showing what a self-destructive mess Antony was. I think he's one of the best characters currently on TV. Also, I felt bad for the poor schmuck who had to read Cicero's speech. lol
                              • I liked Brutus' Jesus scene for some reason.
                              • Finally seeing Agrippa.

What I didn't like:
                              • I know there are major time gaps that have to be filled in since this is the last season, but some scenes seemed way too rushed. It would have been nice if they could've smoothly transitioned the time leaps.
                              • I don't like how they did the split between Pullo and Vorenus. I think the reason for it is because the two are going to end up being on opposite sides (Pullo with Octavian, Vorenus with Antony), but it still seems like Vorenus was way too quick to end their relationship after all they'd been thru.
                              • The historical inaccuracies bug me a little. Like portraying Cicero as a spineless coward. That's not quite accurate. He wasn't so much a coward as a survivor. And he didn't defy Antony until the Philippics. And Octavia was by all accounts a strong and intelligent woman, not this weak, clueless little girl that the show portrays her to be.

Anyways, this is the best show on television, in my opinion (though that should be taken with a grain of salt. The only other shows I currently watch are ESPN, Animal Planet/National Geographic, and cartoons).

Comment

Working...
                              X