suicide notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suicide notes

please don't think that i'm suicidal but i will say that i've often thought about the meaning of life, etc. and very much like reading inspiring stories. so why suicide notes? it fascinates me because it shines a light on that individual's life. the link below will lead to a page that has a short collection of suicide notes and while some are pretty funny, some can easily move you to tears.

whenever i read an inspiring story or, in this case, a suicide note, i reflect on my own life and think about how much i have to be thankful for. i pray that i'll never feel so down that i'd ever seriously consider suicide. if you do read those notes, i hope you'll gain a greater appreciation for this miracle we call life and really live!

http://www.well.com/~art/suicidenotes.html
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: suicide notes

Kinda sorta but not really related...

I frequent PostSecret. Every Sunday, the creator of the site features secrets on homemade postcards anonymously sent in by people from around the world.

Some are just plain hilarious.

Some show so much pain that seems just so impossible to bear.

Anyway...I tend to appreciate life a little bit more each Sunday after reading the newest additions.

(Caution: some postcards are NSFW)
    Last edited by Lei Liko; January 18, 2007, 01:39 PM.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

there used to be a webstie called 99secrets. i liked some of them, but by the time i found the site it was not being updated.
      these sort of remind me of the wong kar wai movie 'in the mood for love', where he tells his secret to a hole a tree and seals up the hole.

edit: i only got halfway thru the suicide notes. too depressing.
      Last edited by Hellbent; January 18, 2007, 04:36 PM.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I will pray for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
          i only got halfway thru the suicide notes. too depressing.
          Well, how inconsiderate of them for making their last words too verbose.

I recommend:

I'm outta here!

or

Hey, ya mind cleanin up this mess?

or

I don't like the color of yer car. here. a new paint job.

or...

Comment

how about?

"i'm in a better place"

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
              how about?

"i'm in a better place"
              'gonna take it to the other side.'
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3thvCREiw0c

"less see if da grass is greener..."

Comment

I love PostSecret. And if I've ever sent something in, I'll never tell.

Somewhat related, and equally chilling and enlightening, a compilation of the last words picked up by cockpit voice recorders aboard doomed flights. With audio recordings. The first time I went through these, I couldn't sleep.

It's a bit morbid, and a bit distressing, to focus on things like this. Suicide notes, horrible secrets, last words. But it's also an interesting look into the multifaceted human psyche. We can ask questions of ourselves we probably never would think to ask, get answers we'd usually be afraid to get, and hopefully learn enough to better choose our own paths.

Comment

yeah, i think it would be a terrible mistake for someone to dwell on stuff like this. personally, it's a kind of wake up call. so often we go through life on auto pilot. reading inspirational stories or just stories in general about others can be very instructive and help us to wake up from our slumber. life is such a precious thing. i hope we all spend it wisely!
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I read the obits every day. Not for the people who are famous (although those can be interesting too) but for the people who never make the news but who nonetheless have led some pretty interesting lives. I also check it to make sure I haven't died yet, too. More and more frequently, I'm reading about the deaths of parents of classmates and some of my own classmates, and that just makes me realize how damned lucky I am to be alive now.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

yah Miulang, I got that bad habit too. Usually the phone starts ringing for the funeral.... Lots of memories.....

Comment

*sigh*

I have tried many times to post on this thread. This subject rattles me to the very core of my being for every personal reason under the sun.

pax

Comment

-Pua'i Mana'o. Sorry that I seemed like an inconsiderate prick.(whats new eh?) I didn't want to get too serious on the subject of "death". So I tryed to mask it with humor. I didn't want to be depressed...so I didn't even read it. I've been there too...
                          Last edited by PoiBoy; January 18, 2007, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Mahalo, PB. No one on this thread has been in any way inappropriate. It is a strong and personal subject with me, but I know that I am not the only person on this board who has felt loss, so its cool. I had this need to remark about how many times I tried to post, so please understand that mine was not a gripe about you or anyone.

I have told my kids, that if any of them kill themselves, I will kill myself immediately, so they have to know that any pain they feel will be nothing compared to the loss of at least two of us; my decision will rest on theirs, with no apology. And, I will kick his/her ass in the afterlife, because damnit, I love living! But do NOT think I won't, because I cannot fathom living without any of them.

How that for some quality Mother's Guilt?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

How that for some quality Mother's Guilt?
                              That's the best kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X