X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Aloha to All,
    I just finished 8 week retrofit/repair work on a 95 foot motor yacht here, in San Diego, CA! I tell you what...forgot dat its not easy fo 6'1", 330 lb HapaHawaiian to go climbing around, up and down, on a boat like dis! So...ferry is out of Alabama? I presume they are going to put it on a freighter, hit the Panama canal, and head for home? And the EIS? What EIS? Shoots, log onto Microsoft.com - download kine template! Fill em out, look official!
    But seriously, EIS is important, if it is not 'politics as usual' and it gets published for public reading. But remember, only good as the paper it is written on! I can tell you from being around the Super Mega Yacht owners - the EIS is non-issue right now...and if not complimentary...well, I can sum it up in a quick true short fact; here goes:

ONE MILLION DOLLARS - IF YOU MAKE A STACK OF ONE (1) MILLION DOLLARS, USING $100 DOLLAR BILLS - THE STACK WILL BE 2 FEET TALL.
    ONE BILLION DOLLARS - IF YOU MAKE A STACK OF ONE (1) BILLION DOLLARS, USING $100 DOLLAR BILLS - THE STACK GOES UP TALLER THAN THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! OVER 2,000 FEET TALL!!

So, whomp, there it is! or was that wump? Either way...sums it all up. No problem. Can't get accurate exterior shots? hmmmmmm...the mystery continues...ALOHA, MONTE
    John Keoni Monte

Monte Consulting
    media-marketing-management

The Full Monte
    voice over talent

Comment

Originally posted by Monte View Post
      Aloha to All,
      I just finished 8 week retrofit/repair work on a 95 foot motor yacht here, in San Diego, CA! I tell you what...forgot dat its not easy fo 6'1", 330 lb HapaHawaiian to go climbing around, up and down, on a boat like dis! So...ferry is out of Alabama? I presume they are going to put it on a freighter, hit the Panama canal, and head for home? And the EIS? What EIS? Shoots, log onto Microsoft.com - download kine template! Fill em out, look official!
      But seriously, EIS is important, if it is not 'politics as usual' and it gets published for public reading. But remember, only good as the paper it is written on! I can tell you from being around the Super Mega Yacht owners - the EIS is non-issue right now...and if not complimentary...well, I can sum it up in a quick true short fact; here goes:

ONE MILLION DOLLARS - IF YOU MAKE A STACK OF ONE (1) MILLION DOLLARS, USING $100 DOLLAR BILLS - THE STACK WILL BE 2 FEET TALL.
      ONE BILLION DOLLARS - IF YOU MAKE A STACK OF ONE (1) BILLION DOLLARS, USING $100 DOLLAR BILLS - THE STACK GOES UP TALLER THAN THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING! OVER 2,000 FEET TALL!!

So, whomp, there it is! or was that wump? Either way...sums it all up. No problem. Can't get accurate exterior shots? hmmmmmm...the mystery continues...ALOHA, MONTE
      The ferry is ocean-going capable so no need for a freighter. Most likely just take its time on its own power and sail through the Panama Canal as you've suggested.

Comment

The ferry will come to Hawaii under her own power. I know one of the guys who has been hired as a mate, and he points out that there are no 'cabins' on the superferry---the officers and crew will be using air mattresses and cots for the long passage (several days, if not a week).

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
          The ferry will come to Hawaii under her own power. I know one of the guys who has been hired as a mate, and he points out that there are no 'cabins' on the superferry---the officers and crew will be using air mattresses and cots for the long passage (several days, if not a week).
          I presume it will be like shuttling smaller planes, where they will have extra fuel tanks on board to carry enough fuel?

Comment

I've followed this thread with interest and am adding just a couple of comments regarding why tourists or local residents might take the ferry rather than fly. The big one for me is that seeing the islands from the ocean offers a completely different perspective. There is nothing like seeing where you're going gradually appear and come into focus. I love to sail, but can't afford a boat, so the ferry will provide an affordable alternative. Travelling at a lesiurely pace also makes for a more relaxing journey. Not everyone is in rush all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              I presume it will be like shuttling smaller planes, where they will have extra fuel tanks on board to carry enough fuel?
              Yes, they'll probably be using what we call "fuel bladders". Think of them as expandable bags, as opposed to fixed, installed tanks. They'll be stored as low as possible due to the weight of the extra fuel (7 pounds per gallon, as I recall). But since they'll be stored higher than the regular tanks, the bladders will be used first in order to eliminate that higher weight.
              We've used smaller bladders on sailboats for long trips, such as here to the mainland. Usually a direct course takes you straight into the Pacific High pressure system, where there is no wind and therefore requires more motoring, ergo more fuel, ergo the bladders.
              Also, the SuperFerry has a top speed of around 35 knots, but I'm sure they'll make the ocean crossing noticeably slower than that to drastically reduce fuel consumption.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                LikaNui...don't forget the part about "Military Vehicles" such as Strykers maybe?
                Thanks, Craig, but if you re-read post #131 you'll see that that was one of the first things I mentioned as I started quoting bits of that article.
                The anti-SuperFerry gang is sure quiet. Wonder who the Young Brothers lobbyists might be.

Comment

The EIS is going to happen sooner rather than later for Kahului (meaning in the July 2007 timeframe), and that's all I was asking for. Kawaihae will also have an EIS done sooner rather than later because the pier that was earmarked for HSF was destroyed by the earthquakes in Oct. We'll just wait to see where the chips fall as a result of that EIS. I'm not sure whether "Uncle Joe's" stonewalling of the House proposal for an EIS will preclude it from happening, because it has to be done anyway because of the Year 2030 planning process.

Miulang

P.S. Today's Maui News editorial points out what I have apparently been unsuccessful in getting across: that an EIS for Kahului Harbor in particular should have been done TEN YEARS AGO by the DOT. And the current Governor, who was County Administrator 10 years ago, already knew the acute needs of the people of Maui for ensuring that the growing use of the harbor by NCL and other private entities would not adversely impact the islands' need for delivery of critical goods.
                  Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 12:34 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, I'm still waiting to see what you have to say about the Young Brothers article and comments in post #131. Specifically, about them carrying military vehicles, the number of all vehicles, the increased congestion it will cause on outer islands, the total and complete lack of any attempt to stop invasive species, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Miulang, I'm still waiting to see what you have to say about the Young Brothers article and comments in post #131. Specifically, about them carrying military vehicles, the number of all vehicles, the increased congestion it will cause on outer islands, the total and complete lack of any attempt to stop invasive species, etc.
                      I don't think I have raised any concerns about invasive species. I leave that up to the environmentalists to hassle over. As for the military equipment, I have no quibbles over the YB ro-ro container ship transporting military vehicles either, because it won't carry passengers the way that HSF will (and this issue impacts Kawaihae Harbor and the people of Kona more than Maui). It's the potential for cross-contamination between people walking on car decks and depleted uranium residue from the Strykers that are carried by HSF that I have issues with.

Those 1,000 cars on the YB barges will mostly be new cars for sale or cars destined for the car rental agencies. New cars are replacement vehicles for older cars, in most cases, so there would be minimal increase in additional traffic from those because they will sit on lots for awhile before being sold, not driven on highways (and "most" people can only drive one car at a time, last time I checked, even though they may own 5 or 6 of them). Those cars also bring revenue to the businesses on the neighbor islands. If Maui wasn't such a popular tourist destination, there'd be no need for all those extra rental cars. But for every car brought over by HSF, it means that the car rental agencies lose a little revenue, too. However, those bigger barges that YB is now starting to bring in also mean that they take up the space of 2 conventional barges. And if Pier 2 has to get built out more, that would automatically generate an EIS anyway.

The issue with traffic congestion is related primarily to the area immediately next to Kahului Harbor and also to the safety of foot passengers from HSF and NCL. Whether you guys care about how congested it is when you drive to Lahaina or Kihei or Hana is your kuleana, but the potential for a pedestrian/car accident is pretty high around Hobron Ave. unless there are foot bridges or shuttles provided for those people who choose not to bring cars with them and the cruise ship passengers. It won't just be cars but semis loaded with everything from concrete building blocks to palm trees that have to share the same road to get into and out of Kahului Harbor.

And you bet your okole I am very concerned about YB's ability to get fuel and food to Maui, because without fuel and food being able to get to Maui, you wouldn't have much of a vacation, would you.

Miulang

P.S. Would the pro-HSF people object to having an EIS done after July? Would that help them realize that it's not about HSF but about the need to better manage the ONLY way Maui has to get fuel and food to its people?
                      Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 01:27 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Lika et al: regardless what the outcome of the Legislature's voting about an EIS for HSF is, an EIS for the entire Kahului Commercial Harbor IS being done by the firm Belt Collins right now. The comment period for input ends next month, and the draft will be published in June or July, according to this announcement on the DOT (Harbor Division) website. THIS is the EIS I wanted.

Miulang

Comment

I don't think SF ever stated they intended to mix scheduled passenger service with shipping Strykers at the same time. That scenario was made up by the anti-SF spin doctors.

And I am actually surprised that there wasn't a single bit of sound made with YB's latest acquisition. As stated, this RoRo is at least twice as big. Why wasn't there any EIS done by them? How would having such a RoRo of this size affect operations at Kahului Harbor? Logic would say it would have an impact as the number of cars being moved at once is on the scale of a thousand. True, there won't be any passengers hanging around the area when a RoRo docks but wouldn't its presence affect the flow of vital goods to Maui?

The HF will definitely impact $$$ flowing through certain industries such as the rental companies. But you can also look at the HF in another light. Chain stores such as Walmart could probably consolidate and only have one distribution center let's say on Oahu. No elitist thought here, just logic because all the big container ships dock at Sand Island so it would make sense to load all the goods into a distribution center on Oahu. But whenever a store needs more stock, a semi-trailer can simply be loaded, driven onto HF, and then driven off directly to store vs what I assume right now is repackaging via barge or unless if each neighbor island has its own distribution warehouse. Either way, that cuts down cost which can be passed on as savings. Stores like Ikea said they have no plans in Hawaii because the population numbers don't support their distribution method which helps keep their costs low. Perhaps the HF will change their plans if they only need one distribution center.

As for EIS, I don't care if it's before or after July, just don't bog down the start date of HF. If the EIS determines there is a need for some corrections, so be it, but it better be fairly applied across the board to all shippers.
                          Last edited by joshuatree; March 11, 2007, 03:35 PM. Reason: EIS after July?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            I It's the potential for cross-contamination between people walking on car decks and depleted uranium residue from the Strykers that are carried by HSF that I have issues with.
                            If you've ever seen how a depleted uranium round is constructed, you'd know that there wouldn't be any residue from weapons that use it. The material is completely encased either in a jacket or a sabot.

Problems with DU fragments happen after the projectile makes impact, and that's not a problem with military vehicles if they hadn't been shot by DU rounds.

And if there were a problem with contaminated military vehicles, a quick sweep with a relatively inexpensive Geiger counter will reveal any potential problems. And at that point the vehicle can be denied transport.

Comment

duplicate post
                              Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                And I am actually surprised that there wasn't a single bit of sound made with YB's latest acquisition. As stated, this RoRo is at least twice as big. Why wasn't there any EIS done by them? How would having such a RoRo of this size affect operations at Kahului Harbor? Logic would say it would have an impact as the number of cars being moved at once is on the scale of a thousand. True, there won't be any passengers hanging around the area when a RoRo docks but wouldn't its presence affect the flow of vital goods to Maui?

The HF will definitely impact $$$ flowing through certain industries such as the rental companies. But you can also look at the HF in another light. Chain stores such as Walmart could probably consolidate and only have one distribution center let's say on Oahu. No elitist thought here, just logic because all the big container ships dock at Sand Island so it would make sense to load all the goods into a distribution center on Oahu. But whenever a store needs more stock, a semi-trailer can simply be loaded, driven onto HF, and then driven off directly to store vs what I assume right now is repackaging via barge or unless if each neighbor island has its own distribution warehouse. Either way, that cuts down cost which can be passed on as savings. Stores like Ikea said they have no plans in Hawaii because the population numbers don't support their distribution method which helps keep their costs low. Perhaps the HF will change their plans if they only need one distribution center.

As for EIS, I don't care if it's before or after July, just don't bog down the start date of HF. If the EIS determines there is a need for some corrections, so be it, but it better be fairly applied across the board to all shippers.
                                I think the reason why nobody raised any issues about the YB ro-ros coming in is because it's an enhancement of a current service that is being provided, and for the people and businesses of Maui, it's a critical enhancement, not a new optional service, which is something HSF keeps touting. I'm not saying that that's right thinking, but all the ro-ro is doing is taking the place of the 2 barges that now occupy that side of Pier 2. It wouldn't add any more trips by YB to Kahului. YB could still do 2 barges every week or whatever their schedule is, but those barges would be able to carry more goods per trip.

If you read the historical information about what goes on at Kahului Harbor, you will understand that all the distribution sites ARE in Honolulu right now. There are no direct shipments from the Mainland to Maui...yet, because even though the population of Maui has grown faster than most of the other islands, there is still a perception that the population couldn't support direct shipments from the Mainland. All goods are shipped JIT from Honolulu so the businesses on Maui don't have to pay for storage. Warehousing space is also impossible to find in the immediate area because it has all been developed, except for Kanaha Pond, which can never be developed because it's the habitat for some endangered species of Hawaiian stilts.

The new, bigger YB barges take up the equivalent of 2 conventionally sized berths. Those larger sizes make it more difficult to turn around in the space between Pier 1 and Pier 2, especially when the Pride of Aloha is docked right across the way, which happens 6 days out of 7 now. YB can't (or maybe won't) make more than one daily trip to Maui, so to accommodate the requirement for shipping more essential goods and fuel to supply the rapidly growing Maui population, they do need to bring in larger barges to make up in quantity what they cannot in frequency. What's happening now is kinda like what happens sometimes at airports where a plane is at a gate too long and the incoming plane either gets sent to another gate or gets delayed on the tarmac until the plane at the gate can depart. Sometimes the ships loading molasses and sugarcane from Maui have to move away from the pier because of the Pride of Aloha (people take precedence over shipping out cash crop products, apparently). According to the harbormaster, any pier theoretically can be used by any vessel, although I don't think this is the case now because of the logistical concerns of mixing cargo with passengers.

The EIS that is currently being undertaken is for the WHOLE Kahului Harbor. That is the one I wanted done, and the draft will be published right around the time that HSF starts service. If there are delays in the start of HSF service, it'll be because of delays at HSF and the State not being able to build the ferry infrastructure they promised, not because it will be held up by an EIS now. And if there are deficiencies, yes I imagine that ALL commercial entities that use the harbor facilities will be impacted and have to go through a mitigation process, which could result in delays in service and higher costs for goods for Maui's residents and businesses.

One of the two current proposals (I think from the 2025 plan) has both NCL and HSF moving away from Piers 1 and 2 to a new Pier (I think it was called Pier 4 or 5 in one option). Eventually I think this is the only way to keep passengers separated from cargo areas. And they really do need to keep passengers separated from cargo areas not just for safety but for security (i.e. terrorist) reasons. Right now, the YB areas have 8 ft high hurricane fencing around them to keep people out, and there's a guard at the entrance where trucks enter and leave the YB yard.

I have walked along the roadway (Ala Luina) that foot passengers (NCL) have to use now to get to the main road, and it's pretty dicey when you have to dodge cars and large semis hauling everything from concrete blocks and palm trees (I freaked out in Sept. when I walked that road and saw that YB was transporting full grown palm trees to Maui! I was thinking: "Why can't they grow palm trees on Maui?" ). The portion of Ala Luina now that leads to Wharf St. (the small piece of road that leads from Pier 2 to Hana Hwy right across from Maui Mall is the piece that will be closed off to pedestrians because that's where YB will have to move most of its staging area (to the parking area that's now right behind the Old Kahului Store Bldg), so that means walking north on Ala Luina to Hobron and competing with cars and semis in order to get out of that immediate area if you are a foot passenger of either HSF or NCL.

But the area where they want to build Pier 4 (on the west side of the harbor) would have to be dredged as another pier is being built, and that's going to cost the State some kala. Maybe that's the reason why the State was reluctant to act previously on the Year 2025 recommendations: because they didn't want to spend the money to implement the majority of the recommendations and now the population of Maui has grown faster than anyone figured and that's what is causing the concern about revising the 2025 Master Plan. One other interesting thing is that earlier in 2004, before the State signed the contract with HSF, the former Mayor (Alan Arakawa) and his planning director had sent messages to the DOT warning about the deficiencies in the 2025 Harbor Masterplan, but the State apparently ignored the concerns. And by the time the contract with HSF was signed by Rod Haraga, it is now known that he had already been stripped of all his operational duties as DOT Director, so he basically just rubberstamped the contract without actually having any accountability for it.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X