X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Let me make it easy for you. The State of Hawaii has provided 40 million to build harbor infrastructure for HSF's exclusive use. Matson, NCL, or YB never received taxpayer subsidies to build their harbor infrastructure. Hence why its not hypocritcal that YB/NCL/Matson is exempted from doing a EIS, but HSF is not. If HSF built their harbor infrastructure itself, the environmentalists would not have a leg to stand on legally.
    Per what you posted in #520.

§343-5 Applicability and requirements. (a) Except as otherwise provided, an environmental assessment shall be required for actions that:

"(1) Propose the use of state or county lands or the use of state or county funds, other than funds to be used for feasibility or planning studies for possible future programs or projects that the agency has not approved, adopted, or funded, or funds to be used for the acquisition of unimproved real property; provided that the agency shall consider environmental factors and available alternatives in its feasibility or planning studies; provided further that an environmental assessment for proposed uses under section 205-2(d)(9) or [205-4.5(a)(13)] shall only be required pursuant to section 205-5(b);"

Does NCL/YB/Matson not use state or county lands? So doesn't that subject them to an EIS?

And the 40 million for HSF use. Is it exclusive or just simply HSF being the only sole user? I know it sounds like semantics but it makes all the difference in the world. If Clone Ferry comes to town, does HSF have sole use of the barges?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Does NCL/YB/Matson not use state or county lands? So doesn't that subject them to an EIS?

And the 40 million for HSF use. Is it exclusive or just simply HSF being the only sole user? I know it sounds like semantics but it makes all the difference in the world. If Clone Ferry comes to town, does HSF have sole use of the barges?
      I'm not sure what the land arrangement is between the State of Hawaii and YB/Matson/NCL. But I would venture to say that they are either leasing land from the state of Hawaii or own their land outright. I'm not sure if that information is even available online.

As for the 40 million in taxpayer funds being used for harbor infrastructure. Again, I'm not sure exactly what the arrangement between the state and
      HSF is. I'm not aware of any of the agreements being posted online.I do know this though, it would be very unlikely another company would want to use
      these barges if HSF goes belly up. So I look at it that this tax money is primarily benefiting HSF.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sprite View Post
        Must take airplane back... unless they have WIFI!
        They do. You perhaps missed seeing the posts here about a week ago when Miulang accused the SuperFerry of not having WIFI... then I pointed out they do indeed have it... then Miulang tried to take credit for the idea and implied (very ridiculously) that SuperFerry installed a whole WIFI system overnight just because of her.
        Kinda explains why so many people here are really really tired of her posts, yeah?
        Anyway, yes, SuperFerry has WIFI. Sorry I don't recall the post number where I gave the specifics on it.

Oh, and are they wheel chair accessible?
        Absolutely! They're very very accomodating that way and have gotten lots of compliments.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

According to this Appendix to the Superferry application for certification before the PUC, there were no existing harbor facilities in Kahului, Nawiliwili or Kawaihae to accommodate HSF. So the DOT was working with HSF to guarantee that there would be facilities available by the time HSF was ready to sail. (See Sec. C on page 6: "Use of State Harbor Facilities")

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
            i am sure that the legal eagles at SF have anticipated this ruling for some time.

lets get the EIS and move forward.
            For all we know the folks at the SuperFerry may have already drafted their EIS for just in case.

i am also sure that the folks at SF also have plans C,D,E and F ready to go.
            And maybe a plan G would in case they can not sail to other ports in the state would be using the SuperFerry as a dinner cruise ship, based out of Oahu. You don't have to worry about leaving behind your car at the pier since it will be on the ship as well when you have your dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              And maybe a plan G would in case they can not sail to other ports in the state would be using the SuperFerry as a dinner cruise ship, based out of Oahu. You don't have to worry about leaving behind your car at the pier since it will be on the ship as well when you have your dinner.
              Oahu's rail on water!!!

One boat to do Kapolei to downtown. The other to do windward to downtown.

Comment

Working...
              X