X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Watching LikaNui water Ski off the back of the Superferry: PRICELESS!
    At the risk of mixing two threads .... is there any world record for water skiing between islands?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I e-mailed my buddy at SuperFerry today with an idea for a photo/video op to use in their marketing.
      SuperFerry does 35 knots, yeah? And it's a damned big boat at 350 feet, so it looks incredible going 35 knots. But wouldn't it look even more incredible to have photos and video footage of someone water skiing behind it?!?!?
      I spent several summers teaching water skiing, so I offered to be the guinea pig to do it behind SuperFerry. Geez, that would be fun!
      We waterskiied behind one of the 70' racing sailboats. So, why not the SuperFerry?
      Probably some government regulation wouldn't allow it, dammit. But we'll see.
      That would take crossing the wake to a whole, new level, wouldn't it?!

Comment

eric and i did a quick compare of travelling to maui in september from a thursday to tuesday and found that if we were to fly go! on the $39 fare and grab the el cheapo econ car (we're talking chevy aveo sized car) on enterprise rental, we'd save about $150 versus riding the superferry and bringing eric's titan.

if we upgraded to a full-sized car with enterprise, we'd save about $60.

seems quite worth the difference to us to be able to take our gear on the truck and ride in superferry style.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          That would take crossing the wake to a whole, new level, wouldn't it?!
          And remember this: Two hulls = two wakes!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Saw a SuperFerry commerical on KGMB this evening.

Comment

Hmmm... interesting that the Superferry EIS issue is STILL not resolved and in the words of the Honolulu Advertiser, should “go down to the wire.” This could potentially be an embarassing chapter for Terry O’Halloran and gang.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Hmmm... interesting that the Superferry EIS issue is STILL not resolved and in the words of the Honolulu Advertiser, should “go down to the wire.” This could potentially be an embarassing chapter for Terry O’Halloran and gang.
                Why would it embarass them? The SuperFerry itself is not named in the lawsuits! Perhaps you missed this in the article you cited:

"Despite the pending court cases, it's full-steam ahead as far as Hawaii Superferry officials are concerned. "Everything is go," said Terry O'Halloran, director of business development for the company, which is not a party in the lawsuits."

Comment

Why would it embarass them? The SuperFerry itself is not named in the lawsuits! Perhaps you missed this in the article you cited:

"Despite the pending court cases, it's full-steam ahead as far as Hawaii Superferry officials are concerned. "Everything is go," said Terry O'Halloran, director of business development for the company, which is not a party in the lawsuits."
                  "not a party" but if the lawsuit goes through the superferry won't sail anywhere in hawaii except back to the mainland.

Seems like a rip off to me. Every ferry I ever been on was cheap like $5 or $10 or just free!

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                    Seems like a rip off to me. Every ferry I ever been on was cheap like $5 or $10 or just free!
                    What other places have you experienced this fare structure?

Did any of them have to travel across at least 40 miles of open ocean at a speed of at least 30 mph?

Comment

• Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Travel by sea has a whole separate mystique than air travel.

If getting there fast and cheap were the only considerations, cruise ships wouldn't exist. I'm not saying the Superferry will make money banking on the "romance of seafaring" angle, but it's certainly relevant.
                      Bingo, for better or worse. It's bizarre to live on a chain of islands in the middle of an ocean and you can't get anywhere by boat, unless you happen to own one. Been here 3 years and the only time I've been "on the ocean" was in my car, as I drove through the shallow pool of ocean water that was washing across the road at high tide once.

Compare to a comparable ferry like www.catferry.com or the ferry system in Alaska. You won't get a bagel for $5.

Comment

"not a party" but if the lawsuit goes through the superferry won't sail anywhere in hawaii except back to the mainland.
                        Right. Sure. They invest hundreds of millions of dollars and you think they're just going to slink away in the night? Get real.
                        Also, if the lawsuits go through, imagine the ensuing lawsuits by SuperFerry against the state!
                        $$$ Ka-CHING. $$$

Helen already asked you good questions about that. Got answers?
                        And hey, if you don't want to ride SuperFerry, that just leaves more room for the clear majority of folks who do want it! Your kokua is appreciated.

Comment

With the onset of the HSC hearing the fringe element's appeal of Judge Cardoza's 2005 ruling, I see a lot of parallels with Hokulia on the Big Island.Judge Ibarra enjoined any further development of Hokulia back in 2003 depsite the fact Oceanside had their entitlements and invested 350 million in the project.

Luckily a settlement was reached that allowed Hokulia move forward before the damaging spate of lawsuits could've ruined every taxpayers day. A similir scenario could happen if the HSC rules in favor of the fringe element in the HSF litigation.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by helen View Post
                            What other places have you experienced this fare structure?

Did any of them have to travel across at least 40 miles of open ocean at a speed of at least 30 mph?
                            Several actually. The Staten Island Ferry in New York City is free. The fast ferrys cost more, i think they were $15 each but never used them because free was good enough for me! I think people used the fast ferrys because they dropped off closer to financial districts or other busy areas.

But no, I have never been on an open ocean ferry. I will concede that.

Right. Sure. They invest hundreds of millions of dollars and you think they're just going to slink away in the night? Get real.
                            Also, if the lawsuits go through, imagine the ensuing lawsuits by SuperFerry against the state!
                            $$$ Ka-CHING. $$$

Helen already asked you good questions about that. Got answers?
                            And hey, if you don't want to ride SuperFerry, that just leaves more room for the clear majority of folks who do want it! Your kokua is appreciated.

You sem to know a lot about the SF. Can you explain then how a fuel surcharge can be levied before service even begins? I dont understand that.

Mahalo!

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness
                              You sem to know a lot about the SF. Can you explain then how a fuel surcharge can be levied before service even begins? I dont understand that.
                              Mahalo!
                              My guess (emphasis on that second word - and I know you posed this question of LikaNui) is that they created a fare structure that intentionally left the continually fluctuating (and likely consistently rising, in the long run) price of fuel out of the equation. They can then adjust the fuel surcharge based on variable circumstances, while not having to restucture the fares.

Why a surcharge now, before service begins? The fare structure was probably created quite some time ago, in order to be submitted for some sort of regulatory approval.

Comment

The Staten Island Ferry in New York City is free.
                                And it travels how far?

Originally posted by Star of Gladness
                                Can you explain then how a fuel surcharge can be levied before service even begins? I dont understand that.
                                Surely you jest. The answer is ridiculously easy and obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X