X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Here's the math:

1% of 1,300,000 = 13,000. 1/2 of 1% = 6,500.

That's quite a bit less than 25,000.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      a little over 1,000,000 are adults.
      Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      Here's the math:
      1% of 1,300,000 = 13,000. 1/2 of 1% = 6,500.
      That's quite a bit less than 25,000.
      And note, LikaNui's signature specifically says "adult population," so one-half percent of one million is 5,000.

Comment

I think the "perception" is that a Mainland company will not invest in the people or the economy of Hawai'i the way a local company does. HSF would go a long way to reduce that perception if it established a nonprofit foundation that contributed money to organizations in the communities it serves in Hawai'i, much in the way Starbucks and WalMart have charitable organizations that do give away significant amounts of money to help people and causes within communities. Such a foundation could focus on helping the homeless or assisting with educational enrichment programs for the keiki, both of which are acutely needed in Hawai'i.

That way, HSF cannot be accused to taking all of its profits back to the mainland and leaving nothing for the local people and it will be perceived as "giving back" something to the local communities. The "Goodwill" factor is extremely good PR and would help HSF greatly in winning over the people who think a non-local company only takes from the people and doesn't give back anything.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          I think the "perception" is that a Mainland company will not invest in the people or the economy of Hawai'i the way a local company does. HSF would go a long way to reduce that perception if it established a nonprofit foundation that contributed money to organizations in the communities it serves in Hawai'i
          You mean... like it's already done??? I happen to know that they've made an extremely substantial donation to a local environmental group.
          They just don't brag about it.

The "Goodwill" factor is extremely good PR and would help HSF greatly in winning over the people who think a non-local company only takes from the people and doesn't give back anything.
          Then given what I just said, how many people are won over now?

Why is it that people insist on talking about things they know nothing about?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

You mean... like it's already done??? I happen to know that they've made an extremely substantial donation to a local environmental group.
            They just don't brag about it.

Then given what I just said, how many people are won over now?

Why is it that people insist on talking about things they know nothing about?
            ONE donation does not good PR make. It has to be a lasting commitment. And why DON'T they brag about it? They should. BTW: which environmental group was it? Don't tell me the Whale Sanctuary Advisory Committee. If they made contributions to the community that could not be construed as "buying influence" (i.e., helping with the homeless problem or with education for the kids) that would probably make them look better.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ONE donation does not good PR make.
              Oh, for gosh sake!!! You never stop, do you?
              Did you notice that I said they made "an extremely substantial donation"? Do you think they just wrote a check for $20 and walked away?
              What would satisfy you? Two donations? Ten donations? A hundred? A thousand donations?
              Funny. Warren Buffett made your "ONE donation". Around $30 billion dollars to the Gates Foundation, as I recall. Got a problem with that?

It has to be a lasting commitment.
              Does their participation on the Board of Directors of that group count, or do you have a problem with that too?

And why DON'T they brag about it? They should.
              Probably they don't because they're humble and because they don't feel a need to "brag" to people like you and the other anti-SF folks.
              And tell me, Miulang -- you claim to be local. Are you aware that bragging is considered very wrong in Hawaiian culture, or have you lived in Seattle so long that you forgot?

BTW: which environmental group was it?
              That's not for me to say. I came across the information purely by chance, due to my own involvement with the group. Like the SF, I feel no need to brag about it.

Sheesh. As Auntie Lynn loves to say: "Some people's children..."

Comment

Did you notice that I said they made "an extremely substantial donation"? Do you think they just wrote a check for $20 and walked away?
                What would satisfy you? Two donations? Ten donations? A hundred? A thousand donations?
                Funny. Warren Buffett made your "ONE donation". Around $30 billion dollars to the Gates Foundation, as I recall. Got a problem with that?

Warren Buffet's contribution to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was not made in one swell foop...it will be given in increments over a period of time, but he did commit $30 billion (and most of it will be in stock, not cash). So how much did HSF commit to give to the environmental group that you're associated with (and that organization isn't SOS, is it)?

BTW: people are chosen to be on Boards of Directors of nonprofit organizations primarily because they are expected to bring in donations or to have connections to money. So of course it wouldn't be unusual for one of the individual principals of HSF to make a substantial donation if they are on a Board of Directors. But there would be less consternation if the donations from HSF or one of the principals was made to organizations that weren't directly connected to one of their issues, as the environment is.

Buffet and Gates and their money are being channeled into projects that eliminate disease and increase educational opportunities for children all over the world, both in this country and outside of it.

I'm glad someone (was it Garibaldi who gave the contribution? Or O'Halloran?) representing HSF did make a "substantial" contribution to your group. However, it would be even nicer if some of that kala could go to other community projects that directly benefit disadvantaged residents of Hawai'i, like Starbucks and WalMart do.

Humility is not something HSF needs right now to try to convince the antis that they are actually trying to do good in the community and not just exporting the kala out of the state. Maybe this will change, now that HSF has canned its first PR agency for a new one.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; March 29, 2007, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I think the "perception" is that a Mainland company will not invest in the people or the economy of Hawai'i the way a local company does. HSF would go a long way to reduce that perception if it established a nonprofit foundation that contributed money to organizations in the communities it serves in Hawai'i, much in the way Starbucks and WalMart have charitable organizations that do give away significant amounts of money to help people and causes within communities. Such a foundation could focus on helping the homeless or assisting with educational enrichment programs for the keiki, both of which are acutely needed in Hawai'i.

That way, HSF cannot be accused to taking all of its profits back to the mainland and leaving nothing for the local people and it will be perceived as "giving back" something to the local communities. The "Goodwill" factor is extremely good PR and would help HSF greatly in winning over the people who think a non-local company only takes from the people and doesn't give back anything.

Miulang
                  At this point, I think it's too early to be expecting SF to start giving big money to local charities as a PR offensive. I know you're counting all the rich folk as investors behind the company but the company itself technically has made zero money and owes a substantial debt for building the ships and for the state providing the harbor improvements. Maybe offering free rides to people who need to travel to Oahu for medical reasons such as children and their families. That is well within the company's ability. I doubt after the initial hype that the ships will always be fully loaded. So the unused space can always be donated to provide free lifts to patients and families.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    At this point, I think it's too early to be expecting SF to start giving big money to local charities as a PR offensive. I know you're counting all the rich folk as investors behind the company but the company itself technically has made zero money and owes a substantial debt for building the ships and for the state providing the harbor improvements. Maybe offering free rides to people who need to travel to Oahu for medical reasons such as children and their families. That is well within the company's ability. I doubt after the initial hype that the ships will always be fully loaded. So the unused space can always be donated to provide free lifts to patients and families.
                    Yes, even offering free rides to people who couldn't normally afford to travel would help their cause, I think. Anything they can do to "give back" to the people of Hawai'i would help their cause.

Miulang

Comment

So how much did HSF commit to give to the environmental group that you're associated with (and that organization isn't SOS, is it)?
                      How many ways do I have to say THAT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS before you back off? Is there one of those five words that you don't understand?
                      You seem to be laboring under the delusion that your endless nattering and asking the same question will eventually cause me to cough up the answer. That will NOT happen. Give it a rest already.
                      As for myself, I am involved with more than one group.

BTW: people are chosen to be on Boards of Directors of nonprofit organizations primarily because they are expected to bring in donations or to have connections to money.
                      Good girl, Miulang. Find something evil in everything the SuperFerry does. I knew you could... and would.

But there would be less consternation if the donations from HSF or one of the principals was made to organizations that weren't directly connected to one of their issues, as the environment is.
                      Miulang, you're just embarassing yourself now. First you berated them for not making donations. When I pointed out that they indeed had, you berated them for not making more donations. Now you're berating them for which charities they donate to.
                      Your pettiness on this matter is despicable.

Buffet and Gates and their money are being channeled into projects that eliminate disease and increase educational opportunities for children all over the world, both in this country and outside of it.
                      Is there a point you're trying to make? We all know what they did. This is a meaningless -- but oh-so-typical -- changing of the subject.

I'm glad someone (was it Garibaldi who gave the contribution? Or O'Halloran?) representing HSF did make a "substantial" contribution to your group.
                      Since you're repeating yourself, I will too: it's none of your business.
                      And it's not my group.

However, it would be even nicer if some of that kala could go to other community projects that directly benefit disadvantaged residents of Hawai'i, like Starbucks and WalMart do.
                      And since you're repeating yourself again, I'll repeat myself again too:
                      Miulang, you're just embarassing yourself now. First you berated them for not making donations. When I pointed out that they indeed had, you berated them for not making more donations. Now you're berating them for which charities they donate to.
                      Your pettiness on this matter is despicable.
                      And pathetic.

Comment

I have two questions, primarily for Miulang (but I'd be interested in hearing other people's replies):

1) Have you ever had a lengthy personal discussion with any SuperFerry official(s)? and

2) Have you ever attended a public meeting in which the SuperFerry officials participated?

Simple "yes" or "no" answers are preferable, please.

Comment

• Oahu, where reigns blissful ignorance with regard to HS, Inc and Honolulu neighbors
                          -- oceanpacific: Here's the math:

1% of 1,300,000 = 13,000. 1/2 of 1% = 6,500 --

"....speaking on behalf of just my most immediate ohana of more than 10 adults and more..." I'll settle for each single strong opponent who speaks out against East Coast investors'/militarists' Superferry being on average 10 strong opponents... or better than 65,000 strong, not including Oahu where reigns blissful ignorance with regard to HS, Inc and Oahu's neighbor islands.

======== ========= =====

Quote: The Hawaii Superferry, Inc. is just another scheme on the long list of crappy ideas put forth by US East Coast investors to impose their will upon Hawai'i.
                          "Racism is a pathetic and pitiful thing."

Racism =?= derogatory remarks directed toward the USury Empire? Is the USury Empire still all white men?

Admittedly, the designation 'US East Coast Empire' needs some definition along the lines of elitist inherited wealth schemes, crimes and delusions, not to forget the Brit's parasitic role in the USury Empire.
                          Last edited by waioli kai; March 29, 2007, 10:24 PM.

Comment

1) Have you ever had a lengthy personal discussion with any SuperFerry official(s)? and

2) Have you ever attended a public meeting in which the SuperFerry officials participated?
                            Answer to question #1: No lengthy personal discussion with SuperFerry officials. However I was lucky enough to take a personal group tour with Mr. Garibaldi in 2004 on a similar vessel that passed through Honolulu. I posted my photo links to that several posts back.

Answer to question #2: Yes. In fact Terry O'Halloran spoke before a packed house at Small Business Hawaii's monthly Sunrise Networking breakfast today (3-29-07). The breakfast was sold out days in advance of Mr. O'Halloran's appearance. (I took photos but forgot to bring the memory card home).

He presented a short Powerpoint slideshow and answered numerous questions from the audience. Yes, SBH is an organization for small business owners, and needless to say everyone there was very enthusiastic about Superferry's start-up in July.

Some of the things I found out today was that the first ship will arrive in Hawaii sometime in May. They are having a naming ceremony in Alabama on April 14.

They expect most people who use Superferry to bring their vehicles with them. Superferry will have a series of open houses before they commence service in July. They are already hiriing and training crew and ground personnel. I think the number of personnel I heard they will hire is around 300... could be more.

It seems only the Honolulu and Kahului Harbor facilities will require roll on barges to match the height of Superferry for vehicle loading. They expect loading of vehicles to take about an hour. Mr. O'Halloran commented that a similar ferry operation in the Canary Islands can be turned around and loaded in 15 minutes. They have several ferries there and people know exactly what to do. They don't expect turnaround times to be as short in Hawaii because of security and documentation requirements.

Anyone who brings a vehicle on board will be required to have current registration in the driver's name, safety check, insurance and state issued photo I.D.

Mr. O'Halloran is a 30 year resident of Hawaii and remembers the Seaflyte days, the last time the islands had interisland sea travel. He has also been on some kind of whale advisory board for about 4 years... a few years before he joined with Hawaii Superferry.

Portions of this presentation will probably be shown on our SBH TV program that airs on Olelo Channel 54 Sunday afternoons at 4:30 PM. I'll post the info here as to when the program airs.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Oahu, where reigns blissful ignorance with regard to HS, Inc and Honolulu neighbo

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                              Racism =?= derogatory remarks directed toward the USury Empire? Is the USury Empire still all white men?
                              The who? Huh? Oh wait, must be crackpot-speak. Nevermind.

Comment

I have two questions, primarily for Miulang (but I'd be interested in hearing other people's replies):

Simple "yes" or "no" answers are preferable, please.
                                Thanks to Mel for answering. Still waiting...

Comment

Working...
                                X