X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Betcha By golly Wow...1972 The Stylistics flip side to that 45 was Oh Girl, ironically at the time one of the only 45-RPM records to have a hit on both sides at the same time. Capitol Records.

Talk about OT...but that little factoid just sticks in my head for some strange reason. I bought the 45 at Kahala Music in Kahala Mall.
    I've burned a CD of 45s that were hits on both sides. These included:

TRAVELIN' MAN/HELLO MARYLOU - Ricky Nelson;
    I GET AROUND/DON'T WORRY BABY - Beachboys;
    DON'T BE CRUEL/HOUND DOG - Evis Presley;
    I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE/IT'S TOO LATE - Carole King;
    WOULDN'T IT BE NICE/GOD ONLY KNOWS - Beachboys;
    CANDY GIRL/MARLENA - Four Seasons;
    COME TOGETHER/SOMETHING - Beatles.

Plus eight other pairings.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Hmm, maybe Pride of Hawaii's departure will alleviate some of the concerns for space at Kahului?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...714562039.html
      That might help some, but Pride of Aloha, which is the NCL's largest liner plying Hawai'i waters and Pride of America, still will be using Kahului Harbor. Instead of having a big boat in the harbor 6 days out of 7, I think this will reduce port of calls on Maui to 4 days out of 7 (each visit is 2 days). Based on the current itineraries posted for both boats, this means there would be no NCL ship in Kahului Harbor on Wed., Thurs and Sunday.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; April 11, 2007, 07:32 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        That might help some, but Pride of Aloha, which is the NCL's largest liner plying Hawai'i waters and Pride of America, still will be using Kahului Harbor. Instead of having a big boat in the harbor 6 days out of 7, I think this will reduce port of calls on Maui to 4 days out of 7 (each visit is 2 days). Based on the current itineraries posted for both boats, this means there would be no NCL ship in Kahului Harbor on Wed., Thurs and Sunday.

Miulang
        Pride of Hawaii is actually NCL America's largest and newest vessel based in Hawaii. Too much supply and not enough demand. I'm sure some business will miss the income brought by Pride of Hawaii but it shows again, too reliant on the cyclical tourist industry as the main economic engine.

Comment

Pride of Hawaii is actually NCL America's largest and newest vessel based in Hawaii. Too much supply and not enough demand. I'm sure some business will miss the income brought by Pride of Hawaii but it shows again, too reliant on the cyclical tourist industry as the main economic engine.
          If pulling out Pride of Hawaii from the circuit means having higher loads on the other 2 ships, I doubt the local business people would lose much money anyway, so it might end up being a win-win for both NCL and Kahului Harbor.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If pulling out Pride of Hawaii from the circuit means having higher loads on the other 2 ships, I doubt the local business people would lose much money anyway, so it might end up being a win-win for both NCL and Kahului Harbor.

Miulang
            Agree that what NCL America did is right, reduce excess inventory by removing capacity. But what I've read is that with one less ship means one less cruise ship stocking up on local produce, suppiles, etc., so I think in that regard, local businesses will lament its departure.

Comment

Agree that what NCL America did is right, reduce excess inventory by removing capacity. But what I've read is that with one less ship means one less cruise ship stocking up on local produce, suppiles, etc., so I think in that regard, local businesses will lament its departure.
              Well, for the fresh produce, the consumers on Maui might benefit because it means more locally grown produce could end up being sold and consumed by residents. When I am on Maui, I try to buy as much Maui-grown produce as I can find at the supermarket and at the farmer's markets. It's fresh picked stuff and may cost more, but I also know how important it is to support Maui farmers. Bummer that I can't buy fresh Maui eggs anymore because the last egg farm closed last month. I really could taste a difference between a Maui egg and a mainland egg

Miulang

Comment

Well, for the fresh produce, the consumers on Maui might benefit because it means more locally grown produce could end up being sold and consumed by residents. When I am on Maui, I try to buy as much Maui-grown produce as I can find at the supermarket and at the farmer's markets. It's fresh picked stuff and may cost more, but I also know how important it is to support Maui farmers. Bummer that I can't buy fresh Maui eggs anymore because the last egg farm closed last month. I really could taste a difference between a Maui egg and a mainland egg

Miulang
                So tying this all back into the ferry. What is the current means of transporting local produce from one island to another for sale? I assume most is via barge in refrigerated containers? Some via air cargo if they are extremely perishable, ie flowers? For the latter, I think the ferry will certainly reduce shipping costs. And if the ferry becomes a service that includes late night schedules, therefore return trips in a day is possible, I think the barrier will be brought down further.

Comment

So tying this all back into the ferry. What is the current means of transporting local produce from one island to another for sale? I assume most is via barge in refrigerated containers? Some via air cargo if they are extremely perishable, ie flowers? For the latter, I think the ferry will certainly reduce shipping costs. And if the ferry becomes a service that includes late night schedules, therefore return trips in a day is possible, I think the barrier will be brought down further.
                  Again, if the PUC didn't have that requirement prohibiting unaccompanied vehicles and if it was possible to have a same-day return trip, then I think HSF might be a viable alternative. But initially, unless a farmer has assistants or family who can be spared from farm chores in order to accompany the produce (and then spend overnight in Honolulu), I'm not sure that would be a very viable option for individual farmers. But I could see maybe a cooperative of farmers getting together, renting a big refrigerated truck, and hiring someone to drive it to the farmer's markets on Oahu or to someplace like Whole Foods to sell the produce.

Miulang

Comment

Again, if the PUC didn't have that requirement prohibiting unaccompanied vehicles and if it was possible to have a same-day return trip, then I think HSF might be a viable alternative. But initially, unless a farmer has assistants or family who can be spared from farm chores in order to accompany the produce (and then spend overnight in Honolulu), I'm not sure that would be a very viable option for individual farmers. But I could see maybe a cooperative of farmers getting together, renting a big refrigerated truck, and hiring someone to drive it to the farmer's markets on Oahu or to someplace like Whole Foods to sell the produce.

Miulang
                    Yeah, I don't know why the PUC has such a requirement. Curious to learn what the logic is behind it.

Most likely, we'll probably see small businesses and/or farmers collectively hire a truck to get around this issue. This in turn may create/expand the sub-business of independent truckers much like you see on CONUS.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know why the PUC has such a requirement. Curious to learn what the logic is behind it.

Most likely, we'll probably see small businesses and/or farmers collectively hire a truck to get around this issue. This in turn may create/expand the sub-business of independent truckers much like you see on CONUS.
                      Oh goody. You want to give the PUC something else to regulate and screw up?

Miulang

Comment

--... requirement prohibiting unaccompanied vehicles...--

--- --- ...I don't know why the PUC has such a requirement. Curious to learn what the logic is behind it. --- ---

I think it is primarily that they (the State) do not want to have unattended vehicles taking up valuable space at the docks.

Comment

I would imagine it has something to do with car dealerships attempting to ship new vehicles to outer islands or something taxing like that.

Since when the ferry docks, who the heck's gonna unload that unattended vehicle?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                            I think it is primarily that they (the State) do not want to have unattended vehicles taking up valuable space at the docks.
                            Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I would imagine it has something to do with car dealerships attempting to ship new vehicles to outer islands or something taxing like that.

Since when the ferry docks, who the heck's gonna unload that unattended vehicle?
                            If that is indeed the reason for PUC's requirement, then I think it's a wrong solution to the problem. Rather, a rewriting of the rule would provide flexibility for business users of the ferry. A simple requirement that if a business wants to load a vehicle onto the boat without a driver, they will 1) need to pre-register with the ferry (ie background checks, etc), 2) be one of the first trucks to go into the boat and be one of the last to leave the boat, 3) have a driver on the arrival side be at the dock 30 min prior to boat arrival, and 4) be financially responsible for all costs incurred to the ferry if they fail to meet the previous points. I think such a rule would give flexibility to businesses who are complaining about having to leave a driver/truck at another isle overnight. The ferry can charge what is needed to process these customers but for the customers, it still may end up being cheaper than leaving a driver/truck on another isle overnight.

Comment

If that is indeed the reason for PUC's requirement, then I think it's a wrong solution to the problem. Rather, a rewriting of the rule would provide flexibility for business users of the ferry. A simple requirement that if a business wants to load a vehicle onto the boat without a driver, they will 1) need to pre-register with the ferry (ie background checks, etc), 2) be one of the first trucks to go into the boat and be one of the last to leave the boat, 3) have a driver on the arrival side be at the dock 30 min prior to boat arrival, and 4) be financially responsible for all costs incurred to the ferry if they fail to meet the previous points. I think such a rule would give flexibility to businesses who are complaining about having to leave a driver/truck at another isle overnight. The ferry can charge what is needed to process these customers but for the customers, it still may end up being cheaper than leaving a driver/truck on another isle overnight.
                              In thinking about this further (and after hearing about the suicide truck bomber in Baghdad this morning), I think it goes even beyond the State and PUC: it might be a Federal security requirement (unattended trucks could pose a bomb threat). If it is a federal regulation, there would be no way to get around it, particularly since HSF is so heavily financed through federal loan guarantees.

Miulang

Comment

Hmm, maybe Pride of Hawaii's departure will alleviate some of the concerns for space at Kahului?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...714562039.html
                                NCL also announced they are pulling their ship the Norwegian Wind out of the Hawai'i market, which means less traffic for Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Hilo, Kona and Lahaina too. With both ships leaving, more than 1,000 crew members will be displaced too, many of them who are local residents.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X