X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    So did anyone catch the boo boo in today's SB? One part said the SF can carry 400 people and 110 vehicles then right below the photo it says it can carry 866 passengers and 250 cars. I think the 866 was where Oahu Girl got that part wrong too as for pricing.
    The Advertiser also has its share of mistakes. They state the boat has 4 jet engines. It's really four 20 cylinder diesel engines that drive 4 water jets.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      The Advertiser also has its share of mistakes. They state the boat has 4 jet engines. It's really four 20 cylinder diesel engines that drive 4 water jets.
      What no ION pulse engines? Sheez how 20th century is that
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        What no ION pulse engines? Sheez how 20th century is that
        LOL, nah that's too slow. You need a warp core.

But back to reality, actually, the diesel engine driving water jet concept is a pretty good one. Much more fuel efficient than having gas turbines (jet engines).

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          LOL, nah that's too slow. You need a warp core.

But back to reality, actually, the diesel engine driving water jet concept is a pretty good one. Much more fuel efficient than having gas turbines (jet engines).

And no prop burns when they run over the whales.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Anyone other than the regular media got photos of the Superferry as she came into Honolulu Harbor yesterday?
            I went to the space between California Pizza Kitchen and Bubba Gumps at Ala Manoa Shopping Center to get a glimpse of the Superferry just before 2:30 pm. I couldn't see the Superferry. Did see a boat shooting off a water cannon. A few minutes later the Superferry comes out. It's view blocked by the trees on Ala Manoa park and Magic Island.

Then the Superferry makes a turn away from Oahu and after a while it resumes it's course to Honolulu Harbor. I didn't wait so I had an early dinner at Bubba Gump.

Attached is a photo from Saturday, it's an optical zoom so it looks kind of grainy. The Superferry is on the horizon, just above the white lamp post in the center of the photo (look on the right of the lamp post and to left of the palm tree).
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Anyone other than the regular media got photos of the Superferry as she came into Honolulu Harbor yesterday?
              Here are two for you:
              Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:30 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I just got invited to tour the Superferry tomorrow! Hopefully, I'll be able to take pictures and post them here. At the very least I can provide a written description of the boat.

Comment

Keep those photo and video links coming. These are good. Hopefully I will get to get some shots of the Superferry and tour it too... and eventually take a ride on it as well.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Man, I can be so ignorant! LOL....well, about things I know nuttin about, like this Superferry. I was thinking....soon as it starts service, well let the first lookers finish, and maybe a month after that, our family will use it and visit another island, leaving early in the AM and returning late that night. Nope!

I think it now sounds like we have to spend at least one night on whatever island we visit cuz the thing will only dock at each island for approx. an hour and a half. Makes sense with only one ferry.

How are the hotel rates on Kauai and Maui? hmmm........
                    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I saw the Superferry when I entered Chinatown on the way to work yesterday, and damn, its huge!

I'll try to get some pics today.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        I just got invited to tour the Superferry tomorrow! Hopefully, I'll be able to take pictures and post them here. At the very least I can provide a written description of the boat.
                        Very cool! Looking forward to your report! They politely declined my request for media accreditation. Guess "citizen journalists" aren't quite grown up yet...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          Very cool! Looking forward to your report! They politely declined my request for media accreditation. Guess "citizen journalists" aren't quite grown up yet...
                          So, I am very disappointed to report that my camera failed miserably. As we entered the terminal area, I turned the little b**** on, looked through the viewfinder and was greeted with a view something like a Jackson Pollack painting only done in pink and teal . PZ can attest to my somewhat checkered history with digital devices so I figure it just decided to die to spite me. I will hopefully get some photos from the person I was with, but that won't be for a few days until after he returns to Los Angeles. In the meantime, just a couple of notes.

The passenger areas of the vessel are very comfortably appointed and the $20/person charge to upgrade to the front lounge would be worth it on at least one trip, if just because the view is so spectacular in the bow area. That being said, the views from all passenger areas are very good and it is clear that the designers made an effort to create a space where the ocean could be readily viewed from all seating areas. The seating is very comfortable and there are many choices from large banquettes with tables that could seat up to eight or ten to small tables for two. The restrooms are pretty much like those on an airplane. The only jarring design note is some really ugly carpet in the front lounge.

The most interesting part of the ship is the bridge. The tiller looks like a large joystick and there is a huge amount of information instantly accessible to the captain, co-captain and chief engineer. The jet water drives (Rolls Royce made) allow extremely precise manuvering and the ship can "walk" sideways into a space if need be. The engineer station is directly behind the main console and that person can manage all systems of the power plant, etc. from there. The engine room is unmanned except for security patrols. The whale lookout stations are on either side of the ship just aft of the bridge.

For those concerned about safety, there are life rafts for more than 1100 people (stated capacity of the vessel is 866 people and 26 crew) and an equal number of life vests. Fire is the biggest concern and the entire ship is monitored constantly by remote cameras which are viewed from the bridge as well as sensors. There is a huge sprinkler system we saw on the vehicle deck which has a main pipe that is at least six inches in diameter.

Vehicle capacity is 282 sub-compact cars so I would imagine that there will be a lot less than that on any given trip since many people drive larger vehicles. There will be a load master in charge of ensuring that space is optimized and weight balanced properly. The mezzanine vehicle deck has sections that can be lifted to allow for larger trucks. They said that the largest vehicle they could accommodate is an 18-wheel semi-truck. Estimated loading time on Oahu is one hour and an hour and a half on Maui.

I really can't wait for the chance to take a trip on it. I don't know if I'll bring the car or not since there are just two of us. On the other hand, you can bring pets with you so that's something to think about. There was some talk about special ferry/car rental/hotel packages being worked on, but no details.

Hopefully, I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            So, I am very disappointed to report that my camera failed miserably. As we entered the terminal area, I turned the little b**** on, looked through the viewfinder and was greeted with a view something like a Jackson Pollack painting only done in pink and teal .
                            Sounds like the sensor failed. Sony had a bad batch of epoxy and as a result a large number of sensors failed when moisture was able to work it's way in. Sony is one of two manufactures of sensors and is found in many camera brands. Hunt around. You may find that your camera is affected. If that's the case, it will be repaired free of charge. That's what happened to my Minolta A1.

Comment

Hawaii Superferry Arrives on Oahu video from Sand Island

Pre-Independence Day Celebration July 3rd 2007 Aloha Tower Marketplac
                              e
                              "To do is to be" - Socrates
                              "To be is to do" - Plato
                              "Do-be-do-be-do" - Sinatra :

Comment

A 3-hour trip between islands. The Alakai better stock up on bentos, musubi, and shave ice.
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X