X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by mel View Post
    OK.. the old Amfac Buildings... hehe. I hate it when something I was long familiar with changes names and I forget about it.
    To me it'll always be the Amfac buildings just as it will always be the Pacific Trade Center on the corner of Bishop and S. King street.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Clear Channel radio stations are giving away free tours of the Hawaii Superferry this coming Saturday July 14. (...) At this time I have not gotten my confirming email on this.
      I just received an invitation to this (though not thru the radio stations). I'm most interested in seeing the Alakai from a technological standpoint, especially the engineroom spaces and the wheelhouse.
      If you're going, Mel (or anyone else here on HT), let me know what time you'll be there. Maybe this can be another HT gathering.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Look for the Superferry logo on each of those pages. You have to register your name and address and they send you a confirming email after you register for the tour.
        Looks like they're all full up, or at least reconfiguring something. The links on all stations' pages turn up the message: "Superferry Registration Currently Unavailable: We apologize, but registration for the Superferry Preview is currently unavailable. Please check back later this afternoon."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I just received an invitation to this (though not thru the radio stations). I'm most interested in seeing the Alakai from a technological standpoint, especially the engineroom spaces and the wheelhouse.
          If you're going, Mel (or anyone else here on HT), let me know what time you'll be there. Maybe this can be another HT gathering.

Funny you use the term "Wheelhouse" as the ship is controlled by a very small joystick similar in size to the ones found in RC controllers. There's monitors everywhere monitoring everything from ballasts to engine info to climate controls thru out. The "wheelhouse" is really a technical marvel.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I received the invitation from the SuperFerry newsletter list. I made a reservation for Saturday, 7/14 @ 11:30 am. I'm really excited to see the ferry as I may be booking a seat on it to return from Maui in September. Hopefully, I won't forget my camera!

(just got my confirmation via email)
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I e-mailed my buddy at SuperFerry today with an idea for a photo/video op to use in their marketing.
              SuperFerry does 35 knots, yeah? And it's a damned big boat at 350 feet, so it looks incredible going 35 knots. But wouldn't it look even more incredible to have photos and video footage of someone water skiing behind it?!?!?
              I spent several summers teaching water skiing, so I offered to be the guinea pig to do it behind SuperFerry. Geez, that would be fun!
              We waterskiied behind one of the 70' racing sailboats. So, why not the SuperFerry?
              Probably some government regulation wouldn't allow it, dammit. But we'll see.

Comment

I also haven't been able to register for a preview tour.

For those of you going, could you take pictures of the ramp you drive across to get your car on/off the ferry? I'm concerned about the angle of the ramps since my car doesn't make it up steep ramps in parking garages (like the ones in Ward Centre). Please? Pretty please? I'd be most grateful.

Comment

I got to take a preview look at the Hawaii Suprferry today.

First class cabin panoramic view windows.

Main cabin dining area. Click here for a larger view.

Food concession area. Main cabin.

More photos at this link:

Mel's Hawaii Superferry Photostream
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Main cabin, passenger seating. The regular seats are comfortable, just like airplanes. They have fold down tables, just like airplanes. The first class ones are wide and more spacious, just like airplanes. Larger view.

The ship has two parking decks for vehicles.

For the person who asked about the ramp, here it is. Click for larger view. IMO, I don't think the ramp is very steep, at least not here at Honolulu Harbor. Most vehicles will get to the first level parking deck, no problem. The ramp is built on a barge docked behind the Superferry. There is a slightly more steeper and shorter ramp inside the ferry for vehicles that have to go up to the next deck.

More photos at this link.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Now compare that with hassling with security and getting crammed into a tube.....

Comment

Anyone planning to check out the Superferry today will want to note that going through the vessel will take about an hour, maybe even less if you don't stop and talk to anyone. The only areas open to the public will be the vehicle parking decks and the main passenger cabin. The bridge and the engine room will be off limits. One of the people with Superferry told me that Federal rules prohibit viewing on the bridge due to security reasons. A couple of the areas like the media and game arcade are just empty rooms. The Superferry undergoes Coast Guard certification starting this coming Thursday. The vessel will actually be taken out for the first time since its arrival to HNL earlier this month.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Great photos Mel - thanks for sharing.

I got a call & email yesterday saying that the elevator on the boat is not working yet so for persons with disabilites like myself, the tour for today got cancelled. But they will re-schedule it.

I thought that was a great gesture of customer service to go to so much trouble to notify me of the problem & save me a trip downtown. They could have just let it go...........this scored a lot of PR points with me.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            I got a call & email yesterday saying that the elevator on the boat is not working yet so for persons with disabilites like myself, the tour for today got cancelled. But they will re-schedule it.

I thought that was a great gesture of customer service to go to so much trouble to notify me of the problem & save me a trip downtown. They could have just let it go...........this scored a lot of PR points with me.
                            Maybe they knew better than to pi$$ off HT folks...see here.

Comment

I was planning on going but now can't -- waaaay too much work I have to do.
                              Fortunately I'll be able to go another time in the next few weeks, and I do get to see the pilothouse and the engineroom. Not sure if they'll let me take any pictures. Maybe a few controlled ones. Will post 'em here if possible.

Comment

Thanks for those great pics Mel.

I always wondered what that gray barge with all the railings was for. It's been sitting at that pier long before the Superferry arrived, but I couldn't make out what it was from Nimitz Hwy. Now makes sense.. a car ramp!

Adult one-way fare on Superferry: $44
                                Bag of chips and drink on Superferry: $5
                                Watching LikaNui water Ski off the back of the Superferry: PRICELESS!
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X