This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

I found this very interesting, very recent (Lika! ) story from an Alabama newspaper about Superferry.

What I didn't know: that the $190 million contract to build 2 hulls was signed in 2004, almost 2 full years before HSF actually started communicating officially with the people on the Neighbor Islands. Isn't that kinda like buying a horse sight unseen, but not knowing if the horse can even walk? The time to talk to stakeholders is when you're in the process of design, NOT after you've already designed and committed to a contract.

What I did know: that the first "advisory committees" on the Neighbor Islands for HSF did not meet until 2006.

What I did know:
    A fast ferry venture in Rochester, N.Y., ended early last year when that city's mayor halted service of its Spirit of Ontario to stop what he called a "hemorrhaging of tax dollars" brought on by the ferry, which it had bought from a private owner that went bankrupt.

That ferry -- built by Austal USA's parent company, Austal Ltd. of Perth, Australia -- was subsequently bought by a British company that said it would operate an England-France route.
    What I did know:
    Among those who believe in the Hawaii Superferry are Democratic Sen. Daniel K. Inouye, who helped secure about $25 million in federal loan guarantees for the vessels, and former U.S. Navy secretary John Lehman, who O'Halloran calls "our major investor."
    What I didn't know:
    Hawaii Superferry isn't Lehman's only tie to Mobile: his New York-based company, J.F. Lehman & Co., last summer purchased the Atlantic Marine Inc. shipyards in Mobile and Jacksonville, Fla., becoming in the process the second-largest property owner along the Mobile waterfront.
    What I did know: That all the Neighbor Islands don't have current space for an HSF terminal on their already crowded harbors, so current occupants are going to have to be moved to accommodate HSF terminals.

What I didn't know: One of the main reasons why Honolulu hasn't been making the same stink about the coming of HSF is it already has a new ferry terminal built, it just isn't being used right now.

From a PBN article in 2004 (don't read this part, Lika, because it's ancient history):
    Hawaii Superferry has said its business model is based on three key points:

--Charge significantly less for the hours-long ferryboat ride than interisland airfares, whatever they are when service begins.
    --Charge a low enough rate to bring a car on the ferry that it is always cheaper than renting a car at the other end.
    --Seek defense business, hauling vehicles between islands at night for military exercises. The ferries are being built with specially reinforced vehicle decks especially for this, though the reinforcement also means that big rigs can be driven onto the ferries and it won't matter in which lane they park.
    From another recent SB story:
    Garibaldi said the venture is "well capitalized." It initially started with about $3.3 million in funding from a core group of investors, then more than $90 million was raised from other participants. That enabled Hawaii Superferry to receive a $140 million federal loan from the U.S. Maritime Administration.

"We see the largest percentage of our revenue coming from passengers and their vehicles -- probably about two-thirds of that," Garibaldi said. "The other third would be commercial vehicles. It would be not moving only agriculture, but also any goods that have a need to move on a quick basis. It opens up markets for everyone in the state."
    BTW: the "moving agriculture part" will only occur IF the agricultural products shipped on HSF are accompanied by their drivers.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; February 13, 2007, 07:07 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Why was the PUC even consulted if they have no say in the ultimate decision?
      Typical gov't redtape and inefficient processes that contradict themselves.

But I will tell you something else: only in very rare cases are companies retroactively required to comply with a rule that was made AFTER they initially got permission to operate. We already know what the environmental consequences of YB and NCL are because they currently operate in the harbor. HSF is an unknown quantity and all the people of Maui County have is HSF's promises. An EIS will not prevent HSF from sailing, but I don't want HSF to sail until they produce that EIS.
      By your own statement, you've acknowledged that HSF should just be left to operate. They GOT permission to operate. Under existing state and federal rules, they aren't required to do an EIS before operation. Geez, we're just going in circles. Funny how the people of Maui weren't concerned about YB's or NCL's promises with an unknown quantity when they were first starting up service. So why were people of Maui ok with that? NCL has been cited in the past for improper waste dumping and their ships use ballast water. Why no concern there?

Lehman already has $40 million from the State.
      Lehman did not get $40 mil from the state. The state spent $40 mil on improving harbor facilities (barges) to accomodate a ferry like the HSF. These barges belong to the state and supposedly if another ferry system or similiar type of ship called to port, they can use those barges too. And per SB, the $40 mil did not come from tax payers but from fees imposed on harbor users.

One other option might be that HSF accepts delivery and leases the boat to the Navy to ferry personnel and equipment between Honolulu and Pohakuloa (this was going to be part of their strategy anyway).
      Aren't you against HSF on ferrying military hardware? Now you are suggesting they can do this while the EIS is in progress? And wouldn't that be ironic because the boat would be plying a route that people are against till an EIS? Or is it because it's Pohakuloa, and not Maui, so then it's acceptable?

P.S. I am a project manager by training and experience. When you undertake something like this multimillion dollar project, you better have a risk and change management strategy because NO project EVER runs perfectly. That's how I know Lehmann has some fudge factors built in to this project. And if they don't then they're kinda doomed to run over budget, no matter what. And one area of PMBOK that they definitely flunked was in not having a communication strategy with all the stakeholders in this project (the State and the voters).
      And I did a stint as program manager. I am aware of factoring in contingencies but you don't factor in having your project shut down by fundamentals you've already analyzed and moved past, in this case, the lack of need for an EIS as dictated by existing state and federal laws. What antis are doing right now is trying to change the rules of the game. Which is fine for future issues but to retroactively apply it to HSF is bull.

Communication with stakeholders, did HSF really flunk when the stakeholders appear to be the state and HSF did apply with the state? Sure, you can say voters too but does every time a McDonald's open on a corner, do they communicate with every resident in that neighborhood or do they apply for permits with the city? Does that mean McD flunked in communicating with stakeholders?

BTW: the "moving agriculture part" will only occur IF the agricultural products shipped on HSF are accompanied by their drivers.
      I asked Garibaldi that question. Apparently, their tariff approved by the PUC requires the driver to accompany the vehicle. Check out the blog conversation on Honolulu Advertiser with Garibaldi.

http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Comment

Joshua:
        You're gonna believe what you want to believe, so that's fine. We can agree to disagree. But the sentiment of the taxpayers is running (if you can believe the numbers Sen. English was quoted as saying, that public testimony is running 2500 for an EIS to 500 against) in favor of requiring an EIS for HSF. Obviously the Legislature can go against the will of the people (as if they haven't done that in the past ) but for the legislators who have to worry about getting reelected in 2008, I think those are the ones who will be "listening" to the voters who have expressed concern. Just a fact of political life, and the same thing happening on the federal level.

The only reason I bring up leasing the ship to the DoD was because you were whining about gee, there are all these added costs if HSF doesn't launch on time. The only reason I would say that it was OK is because there wouldn't be a mix of military equipment on one trip and then civilian passengers on another trip. If the boat was used exclusively for military transport, at such time as HSF was allowed to transport civilian passengers, the boat could then be decontaminated completely and safely. There are always ways to mitigate risks, you just have to identify as many of those in advance so if they occur, you won't get caught with your pants down.

Would an EAS win support rather than a full blown EIS? It probably would be required for YB and NCL because they already are in operation. But HSF is an unknown quantity for the State. Does there have to be a disaster of some sort involving HSF for people to say, "duh. Maybe we should have looked at the possibility of this happening before they started service". And it's not YB and NCL that are proposing to change their footprint on Maui. YB is being forced to change its footprint in order to accommodate HSF.

Organizations like Maui Tomorrow and the Sierra Club are well aware of the issues involved with the cruise ships and dive boats(and private vessels too) dumping raw sewage into the ocean. Nearly every week there's another letter in the Maui News about citizens and visitors noticing clumps of crap washing up on the beach or having to swim through that stuff. Hooray that HSF is promising not to be another perpetrator. But that was only a minor issue brought up by the antis.

A good project manager will do stakeholder management (including having an agreed-upon communication plan) from the very inception of a project that has as much impact as HSF will. Contingency planning is also important because NO project will ever go exactly as originally planned. As a program manager (which I have also been), you know to expect that. That's why you have risk management and change management plans. It's never always one way. The art of program/project management requires the ability to negotiate and compromise, not to hold one side hostage.

Have you ever managed a project where the stakeholders (especially the ones who would be impacted directly) weren't told about what was going on until the project was implemented? And then, have you ever tried to convince those people at that time that what was being shoved down their throats was in their best interest? And even if they say OK to your face that they end up sabotaging your efforts anyway? That's what's happening to the people of the Neighbor Islands. The DOT was in cahoots with HSF at the beginning and only when the people of the Neighbor Islands started worrying how HSF would impact their ability to receive critical goods did they start questioning what was going on --sorry that the Neighbor Island people don't roll over and play dead anymore--and HSF and the State started involving the very people whose lives will be impacted. Shame on the State and shame on the management of HSF to believe that they would be welcomed with open arms by the Neighbor Islands without involving them in the process from the very beginning.

As to why the people on the Neighbor Islands didn't raise cain about YB and NCL when they first started operations? Come on, Joshua! When did YB start doing business on the Neighbor Islands? In the 1920s yeah? Who even thought about the environment then? And when did NCL start operations? In the 1980s? The people on the Neighbor Islands, just as most people in this country, thought nothing about things like contamination of the ocean back then. Probably one of the major reasons why this particular battle over this particular company is occurring is because there is much more awareness now on the part of the Neighbor Island folk that they too, have a stake in decision making in this State. And in general, there is more awareness about environmental issues now.

The people on the Neighbor Islands don't perceive HSF as crucial to their existence as they do regular service from YB. They regard the cruise boats as a source of irritation but at least those tourists bring money to them. What will HSF offer? The perception is that what HSF will offer is 200+ more cars on their already overcrowded roads per day. And how many of those people who travel on HSF will stay in a hotel or condo? Probably not many. I'm pretty sure most of the people who will use HSF will stay with ohana or friends. So unlike the tourists, there won't be very much money put into the Maui economy to compensate for the clogged Hana Hwy.

One thing to remember is even if you have all the "right" answers, unless you change the perceptions that exist, you will never win over the antis.

Miulang

P.S. Your question about a proposed McD going up in a neighborhood and public notification? In Seattle, anyway, as part of the due diligence of the City, notices are posted advising residents in the area that a permit is being considered. Then public hearings are held. THEN permits are issued. If Hawai'i doesn't follow that policy, then that's the root cause of why you have problems.
        Last edited by Miulang; February 15, 2007, 11:06 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

SB1276 was approved by the joint Senate subcommittees on transportation and the environment and is now headed for debate by the Senate Ways and Means Committee.

The Senate version approved Wednesday would require a study of traffic, invasive species, harbor space and humpback whale preservation before service could begin.

“There are big concerns,’’ said Sen. Gary Hooser, D-Kauai-Niihau, vice chair of the environment committee. “We have a responsibility to our community to look into these matters.’’

He cited a petition signed by 6,000 people who oppose the Superferry, as well as overwhelming testimony against it from hundreds of residents at meetings held on Kauai and Maui.

He noted the Department of Transportation expressed concern over the threat of a lawsuit by Hawaii Superferry if it is prevented from starting service as scheduled in July – based on commitments made by the DOT in 2004.

“If the state failed to act appropriately, then the state administration which approved this must work to fix these breaches,” Hooser said.

On Maui, officials with Hawaii Superferry said they are not opposed to a requirement for an EIS for harbors improvements needed to accommodate the ferry. The $235 million Superferry, a four-story-high catamaran, will carry up to 900 people and 250 cars.

...The Superferry has withstood both state and federal lawsuits that attempted to force it to conduct an environmental impact statement, but the Senate bill would require an environmental study by law.

“This company is committed to helping protect our environment in Hawaii. We want to be here a long time,’’ said Terry O’Halloran, director for business development for the Superferry.

...Senate Transportation Chairman J. Kalani English, whose 6th District includes East Maui, Molokai and Lanai, said amendments to SB 1276 require the Department of Transportation to complete an EIS and provide that if any mitigation measures are required, the DOT can assess the Superferry for the costs.

Whether the Legislature will block the start of the ferry until an EIS is completed is another issue. English said he hopes a bill will be approved, noting “there are a number of vehicles in the Legislature for this.

...The bill will advance to the Senate Ways and Means Committee, chaired by Maui Sen. Roz Baker, where those questions could be answered, English said. He said Sen. Ron Menor was reviewing the legal questions.

“What we’re trying to determine is whether or not the Department of Transportation exceeded its authority by granting the waivers when it said the EIS was not necessary,” he said.

...The House bill seeking environmental review of the Superferry died Wednesday when the Transportation Committee declined to hold a hearing on it. Committee chairman Rep. Joe Souki, D-Waihee-Wailuku, didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Vice chair Rep. Scott Nishimoto, D-Kaimuki-Waikiki, said he didn’t know why the bill wasn’t heard.

If the bill continues to get approval in Senate committees, it could reappear in the House later this legislative session.
          Uncle Joe Souki, the chair of the House Transportation committee and one of the "oldtime" politicians, allowed the House version of the bill to die. He has not yet commented on his reasons. Whatever they are, I think he's gonna have a few problems with his constituents on Maui who were counting on him to be more forceful and to listen to their concerns.

Miulang

Comment

The only reason I bring up leasing the ship to the DoD was because you were whining about gee, there are all these added costs if HSF doesn't launch on time. The only reason I would say that it was OK is because there wouldn't be a mix of military equipment on one trip and then civilian passengers on another trip. If the boat was used exclusively for military transport, at such time as HSF was allowed to transport civilian passengers, the boat could then be decontaminated completely and safely. There are always ways to mitigate risks, you just have to identify as many of those in advance so if they occur, you won't get caught with your pants down.
            Please just stop, let's just agree to disagree. The more you post counterpoints to my points, the more double talk I see. It is now OK to transport military equipment as long as it's on one trip and civilians on another? Since when did HSF ever even proposed mixing the two together? If HSF actually was awarded a contract to ferry military equipment, it would be chartered, non-scheduled service. And you were just fuming over that previously. Now it's ok because there be time to decontaminate? As opposed to before where they could still decontaminate as well? This is the biggest reason I feel antis are driving a business into the ground before it even gets out the gate. Overexaggeration of problems and double standards.

YB is being forced to change its footprint in order to accommodate HSF.
            Is this even true? I thought YB had decided to end "less than a container" service even before HSF. But due to HSF, they have decided to step up the timetable. Maybe a little bit of a spoiler sport by YB?

A good project manager.....
            Yes, I've been in projects where there is all the drama of cramming it down people's throats and not involving all stakeholders. And in some cases, it ended up being the right thing to do. I've also been involved with projects where the managers involve all the stakeholders and the project sputtered around because as the saying goes, too many cooks in the kitchen. Bottom line is this, each project is different. A real PM can use skills learned to react accordingly. But 8/10 PMs are a waste in my opinion because all they can do is quote PMBOK DMAIC, etc. They spend more time on the concept of project management rather than manage the project. So no more debate on PM, HSF did approach the appropriate stakeholders in the initial stages of the project. In fact, a lot of island residents were pro HSF in the beginning. So what if HSF did include these folks then and now residents are having second thoughts? Then what? HSF's plan is actually very reasonable. Antis are the ones making uncompromising demands.

As to why the people on the Neighbor Islands didn't raise cain about YB and NCL when they first started operations? Come on, Joshua! When did YB start doing business on the Neighbor Islands? In the 1920s yeah?
            Well in that case, why do people harp on the oil companies? Heck, many of them started at the turn of the 20th century. So if YB or NCL started dumping nuclear waste, don't be whining about it either because heck, YB was here since the 20s.

The people on the Neighbor Islands don't perceive HSF as crucial to their existence as they do regular service from YB. They regard the cruise boats as a source of irritation but at least those tourists bring money to them. What will HSF offer? The perception is that what HSF will offer is 200+ more cars on their already overcrowded roads per day. And how many of those people who travel on HSF will stay in a hotel or condo? Probably not many. I'm pretty sure most of the people who will use HSF will stay with ohana or friends. So unlike the tourists, there won't be very much money put into the Maui economy to compensate for the clogged Hana Hwy.
            Ahh...so the real agenda surfaces, it's all about the $$$. Which is precisely what I've always thought of regarding the antis agenda. As for 200+ cars, you realize it goes both ways right? It also means neighbor islanders can also get to Oahu and not have to rent a car, a hotel, or condo when they stay too. It also means they can come to Oahu to camp, fish, hike, whatever too.

I'm done, you can have all the counterpoints you want. Whether HSF lives or dies ultimately doesn't affect me except maybe where my tax money goes if their loans default and the feds have to pick up the tab. I find it funny that more often than not, the issue is always mangled into some neighbor island vs Oahu issue when many folks like me never even looked at it that way. I always hear bout neighbor islanders lament at the extra high cost of things and when something comes along that has the ability to perhaps change those dynamics, people always find a way to stop it. Then they continue to lament about the high cost of living. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

It's all about perception, Joshua.

Miulang

Comment

Sen. Gary Hooser from Kaua'i, in his column in the Garden Isle News, writes about his take on HSF and its impact on Kaua'i and the Neighbor Islands. Nawiliwili is also supposed to have HSF service beginning this coming July.

With the Hawaii Superferry slated to begin operations in July of this year, a quick glance at the harbor area where the vessels are scheduled to arrive will show you that no improvements have been made to the area whatsoever. There are no bathrooms, no ticket booths, no security screening areas and no vehicular “wash-down” facilities. I am told there will be a “tent” put up as a passenger holding area and that portable toilets will be used. I am also told that there will be no parking provided at all and no improvements made to the ingress and egress at the highway junction.

...As to questions of security and invasive species protection, the Hawaii Superferry has stated that it “will work with local law enforcement and the Department of Agriculture.” There is no requirement by the state Department of Transportation to ensure inspections, no inspection facilities and no trained inspectors. There is also no commitment by the Superferry to pay the increased costs incurred by our local police and agriculture departments that are already severely understaffed.

At the Lihu‘e Airport, all passengers and all baggage go through a rigorous security process and are thoroughly screened. This will not be the case for Superferry passengers and baggage, with the statement there will only be “selective screening.”

The County Councils of Maui, the Big Island and Kaua‘i have all been adamant in their request that the state of Hawai‘i requires an EIS prior to the start of the Superferry operations. A majority of the Neighbor Island state legislators have indicated their support for an EIS requirement, and thousands of individual citizens have made it abundantly clear that they believe an EIS should be mandatory.

...One of those triggers is the utilization of public funds on public lands to construct improvements that will result in significant new impacts. The financing of the Hawaii Superferry construction is being guaranteed by the federal government and the state taxpayers are funding $40 million in harbor improvements directly tied to the Superferry operations.

The broad, long-term and significant impacts of the Superferry operations, combined with its extensive reliance of public funding, translates to a higher level of public accountability. If this were a private business on private land utilizing only private funding, the situation might be different, but it is not.
                Miulang

Comment

Okay, I've totally reached my limit on one piece of nonsense. Miulang's quote of Sen. Gary Hooser notes that he says "thousands of individual citizens have made it abundantly clear that they believe an EIS should be mandatory." That same line is used daily by the anti's. We hear endlessly about the 6,000 people who signed the petition. Well, enough is enough.
                  Let's look at the numbers here.
                  The state of Hawai`i has a population of 1,300,000. Of that number, just over 1,000,000 are over the age of 18. Ergo, the 6,000 people who signed the petition against the SuperFerry constitutes an incredibly manini 0.6% of the total population!!!
                  Yes, folks, barely one-half of one percent of our citizens signed the petition. The anti-SuperFerry group has failed miserably. There's simply no way to put a good 'spin' on those ridiculously low numbers.
                  Now, shut up and go away, and bring on the SuperFerry, which the huge majority of our citizens clearly DO want.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Let's look at the numbers here.
                    The state of Hawai`i has a population of 1,300,000. Of that number, just over 1,000,000 are over the age of 18. Ergo, the 6,000 people who signed the petition against the SuperFerry constitutes an incredibly manini 0.6% of the total population!!!
                    Yes, folks, barely one-half of one percent of our citizens signed the petition.
                    Now, shut up and go away, and bring on the SuperFerry, which the huge majority of our citizens DO want.
                    I just have one question, Lika: if the other 1 million potential customers of HSF want it so much, why isn't there a hue and clamor at the public hearings in favor of HSF? Why isn't there a counter petition, like for the anti-smoking ban group (at least they're trying to make their sentiments known in a formal, public way)? Or is it just because the people of Hawai'i are complacent and don't care one way or the other?

Maybe the State Legislature should just let HSF run, and let them also run the risk of having some pretty nice price tag lawsuits filed later on down the road if something does happen. I even see that the pro-business Hawaii Reporter and Pacific Business News both, while saying that it's unfair to require an EIS for HSF if none is required for YB and NCL, also doubt that HSF will be a long-term viable enterprise anyway, because, for instance, the PBN questions HSF's business model. But it's not PBN's call, either.

What Sen. Hooser says about the lack of improvements at Nawiliwili is also true for Kahului. The DOT says the "barges" that will be the point of embarcation/debarcation for cars will be delivered in May--it's because the "barges" are not permanent facilities that HSF even has a prayer to be excluded from an EIS. It's Feb. now. Have they already started moving YB's footprint on Maui? No. Do they expect that that realignment---since it will also require taking back some property from A&B and developing it---will be finished by July? I don't know. Oh, but we do have a brand, spanking new "green" carwash that HSF passengers with cars will be able to use which was built by a private company specifically for that purpose, so I guess we might be "one up" on Kauai.

Honolulu's lucky: you've already got a nice, new passenger ferry terminal with all the amenities. The Neighbor Islands will get tents and portapotties and no places for cars other than those on board the HSF to park. So if you've got ohana who you want to meet at the ferry dock, where are you supposed to park?

Would the DOT at least do a little test in Kahului by putting 200 cars in the area where HSF will dock and see what happens when you have 200 cars added to the general traffic flow over the space of about 20 minutes? Maybe that's all it would take to alleviate most of the concerns of the people who have to use Hana Hwy as their route to go between upcountry and Kahului and Wailuku. And that certainly could be done within weeks, if not days.

Miulang

P.S. as long as the airfares stay as cheap as they are, I personally would not be one of those riding HSF, and HSF could not be viable charging $29, either, if they intend to match the cheapest air fare.
                    Last edited by Miulang; February 17, 2007, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

I just have one question, Lika: if the other 1 million potential customers of HSF want it so much, why isn't there a hue and clamor at the public hearings in favor of HSF?
                      You weren't born yesterday. You're clearly bright enough to know that only complainers make a "hue and clamor" and that the majority of people are, well, the silent majority. And 99.4% is indeed, you know, a majority.

Or is it just because the people of Hawai'i are complacent and don't care one way or the other?
                      And there you have it, in your own words, even. Most don't care. And the anti's haven't made any impression on them.

Maybe the State Legislature should just let HSF run, and let them also run the risk of having some pretty nice price tag lawsuits filed later on down the road if something does happen.
                      If if if. Chicken Little, the sky is falling! How many tens of thousands of cars have been shipped by barge over the decades? How many tens of thousands of people have gone interisland via cruise ship? Why single out SuperFerry when decades of experience do NOT show your "if" problems? Can you spell "discriminatory", boys and girls? Good. I knew you could.

I even see that the pro-business Hawaii Reporter and Pacific Business News both, while saying that it's unfair to require an EIS for HSF if none is required for YB and NCL, also doubt that HSF will be a long-term viable enterprise anyway, because, for instance, the PBN questions HSF's business model.
                      That's why those reporters are still low-paid reporters. If they did know how to do a successful business model, they'd be rich... instead of reporting about people who ARE rich and ARE successful in a variety of businesses.
                      And apparently some major banks and unbelievably rich investment firms DO believe the SuperFerry's business model. I'm just making a wild guess here, but those folks seem to know what they're doing. Enough so that they're investing hundreds of millions of dollars in it.

The DOT says the "barges" that will be the point of embarcation/debarcation for cars will be delivered in May
                      Excuse me, but those barges are already here! Cruise on down to Honolulu Harbor and check 'em out.
                      Oh. That's right. You don't live here. Well, everyone else can see them.

(Yadda yadda yadda. Tons of other stuff deleted.)
                      Yes folks, I deleted it because it's all smoke and mirrors to try to change the subject and make people forget that barely half of one percent of the total adult population of the state of Hawai`i spoke out against the SuperFerry.
                      As they used to say on Dragnet... "Just the facts, ma`am."
                      Last edited by LikaNui; February 17, 2007, 07:37 PM. Reason: Fixed a minor typo. So sue me. Or, you know, make a petition.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Excuse me, but those barges are already here! Cruise on down to Honolulu Harbor and check 'em out.
                        Um, Lika? They may be on Oahu, but they still ain't delivered to Maui or Kauai. YOU guys see them on Oahu, but the folks on Kauai and Maui don't. And I'm really kinda surprised that you're bashing two of the leading pro-business publications in Hawai'i.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; February 17, 2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

And I'm really kinda surprised that you're bashing two of the leading pro-business publications in Hawai'i.
                          Okay, now you've REALLY pissed me off, Miulang. I most clearly did NOT "bash" those publications! Your comment is slanderous and I demand an immediate public retraction and apology from you. You are totally out of line here.

Comment

Still waiting for that public retraction and apology for Miulang's slanderous statement...

Comment

While I wait for Miulang’s apology and retraction…
                              The Advertiser has been running a feature called The Hot Seat, which are weekly live online chats with various “elected leaders and people in the news”. Anyone can log in and participate in the chats, and ask questions.
                              Last week’s guest was John Garibaldi, the President of the SuperFerry. An excerpt of that Hot Seat session was published at this link in today’s Advertiser, and it addresses (again) many of the questions the anti-ferry gang have asked. It’s also interesting to see that most of the questioners from the public seem to be in favor of the SuperFerry.
                              You may also click on this Hot Spot link for the complete transcript of the session.
                              (And props to our own JoshuaTree for participating in it!)

Comment

You were the one who was defaming the writers for Hawai'i Reporter and PBN, not me:

That's why those reporters are still low-paid reporters. If they did know how to do a successful business model, they'd be rich... instead of reporting about people who ARE rich and ARE successful in a variety of businesses.
                                I was merely summarizing what I read in both the Hawai'i Reporter and PBN. And I said nothing slanderous about YOU, Lika. I never personally attack anyone, not even when backed into a corner. I will debate with anyone on the issues, but I will not resort to name calling, because that gets no one anywhere. We can agree to disagree and just leave it at that. Maybe in this thread, others who have been ambivalent will be driven to do something (either advocate for or against HSF, it doesn't really matter), and that is my intent, but I do think it's important for people to express their own opinions, so I respect you for that.

Miulang

P.S. HSF will be holding a public forum on Feb. 21 on Maui to show the public exactly how the operation will work on Maui. Hopefully lots of people will attend and have their concerns addressed and maybe then the antis on Maui will shut up and go away.
                                Last edited by Miulang; February 18, 2007, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X