Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mondegreens: Stop the Cat Box?

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    I had a friend who would purposefully sing lyrics wrong to get it stuck in another friend of mine's head. Almost always worked..

"Maaaan I got the runs... Maaan I got the runs." ("Man on the Run")

Do you mean "Band on the Run" by PM&W, or is that a different song?[/QUOTE]

Another good one, from the 80s: "I'm your Venus.. I'm your fire, your desire"
    It's "at your desire," but I used to think it was "joy, desire," which still sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

ETA: OMG ... I was just goofing around on KissThisGuy.com, and found out I have had the lyrics to a popular Doors song wrong for almost 40 years. Aaaaagh!

Not only that, but a few months ago I actually *corrected* someone else who had the lyrics wrong, and now that person thinks the lyrics are the wrong ones I gave him!

Edited again: OK, I did some research, and the way Morrison sings the lyric on the album does match what I thought he sang, but their record label made them change the liner notes so the lyric doesn't make a drug reference. So if you look up the lyrics online, the first line of "L.A. Woman" is wrong. He does, in fact, sing "Well, I did a little down(er) about an hour ago."

This begs the question ... why would the label want to change only that lyric? Did they not know about all the Doors' other lyrics? Jeez ...
    Last edited by MadAzza; January 20, 2007, 03:09 PM. Reason: kissthisguy

Comment

I hate it when this site logs you off in the middle of posting and you lose everything you just wrote

Anyway, Steve Miller had a radio edited version of Jet Airliner that replaced this line: the funky shit going down in the city, with the funky ship going down in the city.

Another song, Abracadabra was this verse:

I see magic in your eyes
      I hear the magic in your sighs
      Just when I think Im gonna get away
      I hear those words that you always say

I always thought he was saying: I hear the magic in your thighs.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
        Do you mean "Band on the Run" by PM&W, or is that a different song?
        Mmm... maybe so. Maybe my post was more on-topic than I thought. I know the original song sounded like "man on the run" so maybe it was "band" instead.

Comment

I know the original song sounded like "man on the run" so maybe it was "band" instead.
          You must be pretty young, brah.
          I first realized that I was getting old when a girl asked me "Wasn't Paul McCartney in some band before Wings?"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Mmm... maybe so. Maybe my post was more on-topic than I thought. I know the original song sounded like "man on the run" so maybe it was "band" instead.
            Yeah, I used to have that wrong too. "Man on the run" seems to make more sense then "band", but that's not what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              You must be pretty young, brah.
              Guess it depends on your perspective. Some music it just seems like I never heard until recently, inexplicably. I'm, err.. moderately young but even I've had my "get off my lawn" moments when nieces, nephews, and such, had never heard of some famous 60s, 70s, and 80s music.

Comment

Being a DJ back in the 80's I always had to explain why I played Erotic City by Prince.....

This is the official lyrics:
                Erotic City come alive.
                We can FUNK until the dawn.
                Making love 'til cherry's gone.
                go figure....

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
                  Being a DJ back in the 80's I always had to explain why I played Erotic City by Prince.....
                  "Official" lyrics, indeed. Perhaps Hawaiian songs are not the only ones with kaona?

It's a challenge to us sometimes when we are picking songs for a business' program; even if we know/can prove what a lyric actually is, we have to be concerned with what it will sound like to a less-trained ear.

Comment

Working...
                  X