2006 Oscars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Oscars

This morning they were announced. The full list is here.

No real surprises IMO, but it was really nice to see Eddie Murphy and Jackie Earle Haley(remember him? Kelly Leak from the Bad News Bears)

I sure hope Oscar finally honors Martin Scorsese with a directing award. The Departed was a good film and so was his other nominated films
    THE AVIATOR (2004) -- Nominee, Directing
    GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002) -- Nominee, Directing
    THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993) -- Nominee, Writing (Adapted)
    GOOD FELLAS (1990) -- Nominee, Directing
    GOOD FELLAS (1990) -- Nominee, Writing (Adapted)
    THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (1988) -- Nominee, Directing
    RAGING BULL (1980) -- Nominee, Directing
    His honor is long over due.
    Last edited by alohabear; January 23, 2007, 05:04 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: 2006 Oscar Nominees

That's five nominations in eleven years for Kate Winslet. What an actor.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      I sure hope Oscar finally honors Martin Scorsese with a directing award. The Departed was a good film and so was his other nominated films

There's no doubt that it's overdue, but my question for you is whether you think that second statement is a reason for him to win this year. Was The Departed the best-directed film of the year (remember, it's about direction, not whether or not it's a good film)? Yes, Scorsese (probably America's greatest living director) should certainly have won in the past, but is his work in THIS film truly deserving of the honor? Or does that even matter?

I haven't seen any of the nominated films in this category, so I'm unqualified to say. I, too, want Scorsese to win the Oscar, but I want him to win it in a year when he deserves it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Congrates to Marty! It's about time( he should have got it twice before for Raging Bull and Goodfellas).
        Oscar note: Was it just me,or did Reese Whitherspoon's chin look funny last night? It looked so pointy...oh well

Flickr

Comment

The Departed was good, but its a rehash of a 2002 Chinese movie. Somehow knowing that makes it seem less deserving to me. I know its about direction, not screenplay or originality, but you know...
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Re: 2006 Oscars

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
            This morning they were announced. The full list is here.

No real surprises IMO, but it was really nice to see Eddie Murphy and Jackie Earle Haley(remember him? Kelly Leak from the Bad News Bears)

Jackie Earle Hayley....I'm so glad that guy still has a career....I watched Breaking Away not too long ago, and was thinking "what happened to him?" . He rocked in Bad News Bears> It's great to see a guy who vanished make a comeback and get into a respected film. Good for Him...

Now, if we can get Tatum O'Neal back, and the kid who Tanner....that would rock.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

How'd everyone feel about Jennifer Hudson winning? So amazing how fast her career has shot through the roof since AI.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                How'd everyone feel about Jennifer Hudson winning? So amazing how fast her career has shot through the roof since AI.
                I'm not surprised, the girl can sing and is a better actress than Whitney or JLo. Her AI group was the BEST AI ever had(IMO). I hope she does more acting in the future, but not cheapen herself like Halle did.

Flickr

Comment

Even though it was almost a forgotten afterthought, I'm glad she remembered to thank Jennifer Holliday, who originated and helped develop the role of Effie into such a key aspect of "Dreamgirls," during its Broadway incarnation. If not for her work, Effie would have been a lesser character, originally destined to vanish at the end of Act One.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Even though it was almost a forgotten afterthought, I'm glad she remembered to thank Jennifer Holliday, who originated and helped develop the role of Effie into such a key aspect of "Dreamgirls," during its Broadway incarnation. If not for her work, Effie would have been a lesser character, originally destined to vanish at the end of Act One.
                    Effie's show stopping song is the highlight of Dreamgirls.....it's a dream first role.
                    Speaking of first roles Forrest Whitaker's role in Fast Times....is a long road to his Oscar.

Flickr

Comment

I attended an Oscar party/most glamorous sweat pants/sweat suit contest last night and came in 2nd voting in the former and first in the latter!

The person who got the most right on the ballot (17/24) had an advantage over the rest of us...he's a former winner and voting member of the Academy and, as such, was required to see each movie. I, on the other hand, had seen none and came up with 11/24!

Turns out I was the only one who wore a sweat suit, glamorous or otherwise...(it wasn't glamorous in the least...but I won a bottle of wine!)

Comment

For all the flack we give AI, I'd guess Jennifer would still be singing in church without it. The show gives kids exposure and a break...even kids who don't win! I'm absolutely thrilled for her.

Comment

Revived this thread only because just seconds ago we finished watching DREAMGIRLS for the first time, and WHAT A MOVIE! Jennifer HUDSON's performance pulled me right into her emotions.

We're catching up on movies we haven't seen in the convenience of our home.
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                          X