February Album-Writing Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February Album-Writing Month

I just recently learned of February Album-Writing Month, or FAWM. For those of you familiar with National Novel-Writing Month, the existence of FAWM will come as no surprise: This one challenges you to write fourteen songs in twenty-eight days.

Holy cow! I could never do that!

Then again...it seemed I'd never get a novel written either, four years ago when I first tried NaNoWriMo. The goal of NaNo was "big, messy prose," and if I apply that same mindset to songwriting, I wonder if maybe there might be one or two gems in that fourteen.

I think I'm going for it. I haven't signed up yet, but I'm going to pick up my guitar tonight and see if she's willing to give it a go. I know we've got some musicians here: What do you guys think? Are you willing to come up with a month of crap for the sake of prolificity, in hopes that something you put down might be worth developing?

I'll do it if you do it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: February Album-Writing Month

does this mean one has to write both music and lyrics?

pax

Comment

Wow. Do you hear the crickets chirping?

I'm guessing that music without words is cool, but words without music isn't. I couldn't find anything about it in the FAQ, though.

Anyway, I'm doing it. You can follow my progress here if you are so inclined. I don't know what will come of this, but I'm hoping at least one thing good.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Good luck to you, Scrivener. And you thought NaNo was challenging? At least with NaNo, all you had to do was come up with the words -- a lot of 'em. Writing music seems so much more... well, involved. But then again, this is coming from someone who has never written a song in her life. In fact, it's been a year since I last touched my guitar. Boo.

Make us proud! You can do it!

Comment

Working...
        X