Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on TV's?

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    I was told that the lamp was easily replaceable by the us regular folks for about $200 or so.

We're headed out today to start hunting.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
    The lamp replacement smells like a Circuit city thing. The lamp is really the only thing even remotely likely to go wrong on an LCD and how generous of them to let you do it yourself. One fingerprint on an LCD lamp can mess up the picture horribly and shorten the life of the lamp itself. I'd look into manufacturer warranty if it's a concern (cheaper too), and check if they will come to your house for repairs and will they require you to do DIY. I think Sony had a decent extended warranty for the Bravia and Sharp is reputed to have excellent customer service. Any warranty requiring you to open a tv set yourself and do anything inside is a pure ripoff.
    Last edited by reineke; January 31, 2007, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
      The lamp replacement smells like a Circuit city thing. The lamp is really the only thing even remotely likely to go wrong on an LCD and how generous of them to let you do it yourself. One fingerprint on an LCD lamp can mess up the picture horribly and shorten the life of the lamp itself. I'd look into manufacturer warranty if it's a concern (cheaper too), and check if they will come to your house for repairs and will they require you to do DIY. I think Sony had a decent extended warranty for the Bravia and Sharp is reputed to have excellent customer service. Any warranty requiring you to open a tv set yourself and do anything inside is a pure ripoff.
      I was talking about a rear-projection TV lamp. I am not sure if the warranty from Circuit City covers the lamp or not.

I've been trying to get info from the net and it seems like replacing the lamp in a rear-projection set is easily doable by the consumer? Maybe not?

Comment

I've been trying to get info from the net and it seems like replacing the lamp in a rear-projection set is easily doable by the consumer?
        It seems to me that way, too, but can't say from experience. I'm allergic to continuing costs like lamp replacement (or any other costs, actually), so two years ago I got a hd 47" rp crt, cheapest and arguably best picture of the alternatives. Mine was $1300 inc. tax and delivery from Circuit City. I've been happy with it so far. Things to be said against this type of set are: not good for bright rooms, not good for off-axis viewing, big, out of style.
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
          It seems to me that way, too, but can't say from experience. I'm allergic to continuing costs like lamp replacement (or any other costs, actually), so two years ago I got a hd 47" rp crt, cheapest and arguably best picture of the alternatives. Mine was $1300 inc. tax and delivery from Circuit City. I've been happy with it so far. Things to be said against this type of set are: not good for bright rooms, not good for off-axis viewing, big, out of style.
          Supposedly the ones we have been looking at are new technology---DLP from Texas Instruments. The reviews of the 1080p set by Samsung have been quite good. Here's a bit about the technology:

http://dlp.com/hdtv/

Still thinking....

Comment

The latest edition of Consumer Reports has an analysis of the different types of TV technology.

I've had my Mitsubishi 29" TV for almost 15 years and have not had any serious problems with it and I don't intend to buy a new TV until one of 2 things happens: either it dies completely and costs too much to repair or it can't decipher the new HDTV signalling in a couple of years. And by then, the cost of the sets should decrease rather dramatically.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              The latest edition of Consumer Reports has an analysis of the different types of TV technology.

I've had my Mitsubishi 29" TV for almost 15 years and have not had any serious problems with it and I don't intend to buy a new TV until one of 2 things happens: either it dies completely and costs too much to repair or it can't decipher the new HDTV signalling in a couple of years. And by then, the cost of the sets should decrease rather dramatically.

Miulang
              The Consumer Reports article is from last year but thank you. It has a lot of helpful info.

My seven-year-old Sony Trinitron CRT lost all it's color and it's just not worth fixing. I have a 23" HDTV Sony Wega LCD that I like but I'm open to different technologies.

Comment

The Consumer Reports article is from last year but thank you. It has a lot of helpful info.

My seven-year-old Sony Trinitron CRT lost all it's color and it's just not worth fixing. I have a 23" HDTV Sony Wega LCD that I like but I'm open to different technologies.
                Oops, sorry about that. Here is the story that is in the latest issue.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Oops, sorry about that. Here is the story that is in the latest issue.

Miulang

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                    Changing lamps is something you'll have to do for a projection TV. It's just a given. Some DLP manufacturers include an extra bulb with the purchase so look for those deals.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is it this the one?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S...-31962828.html

I wouldn't worry about lamp life on modern LCDs, rear projection is easier to replace but I'd still get the manufacturer warranty where I don't have to lift a finger (or leave a fingerprint hehe). For DLPs I'd worry more about the rainbow effect, color and reliability of moving parts. The vertical viewing angle on DLPs is very weak, something to consider if you have kids or like to watch from the floor etc. Samsung makes beautiful DLPs and you do get a larger screen size for your money. Texas Instruments DLP technology has been around for a while (1980's lol) and the new TVs featuring their latest achievements are nice but still subject to DLP woes. Possible contenders for a rear projection could be the new rear projection LCoS 1080p sets. If you know where you'll be sitting you can easily calculate recommended screen size (easily found online) and see if you really need a 61". In case you haven't figured it out, I love discussing TVs

Comment

Re: Opinions on TVs?

Something to keep in mind is that direct-view (flat) LCD screens use bulbs too. Usually florescent bulbs in the side. They last a good long time, but not forever. Be interesting to see how hard it is to get replacements and to do the job.

Comment

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one...

I'm in the market for a 42" flat screen (to be hung on the wall due to space limitations). Price is a big consideration. It'll be in a bright room and will occasionally be viewed off center. I don't care that it has the best, brightest, sharpest, highest resolution picture ever! My tutu eyes can't compute that kind of quality anymore! Not even with glasses!

I viewed a flat screen for the first time last month (other than displays in stores) when I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki. I was disturbed by what I think is the aspect ratio. Everyone and everything looked "fat"...it stretched the picture horizontally. I tried to find a way to correct that but my untechiness took over. A friend, far more techie than I, couldn't find the answer either. We both found the picture disconcerting to watch. Is this typical and correctable?

What's the greatest low-end bang for the buck in flat screens?

Comment

tutusue, if you're looking for a 42" flat screen I would recommend the Panasonic EDTV 42", a plasma TV. EDTV stands for Enhanced Definition TV. We purchased one 3 years ago from Sears during their football season kickoff special for $1,895. I understand the same one goes for under $1,000 now (or at least that's what I saw in their ad about 6 mos ago). It's not HDTV, certainly not the latest technology, but the image is clear and the sound is not too bass-y where it's hard to understand the voices. Although the average shelf-life is around 7 yrs we figure by then, with the HD requirement coming down soon, we could then get an HDTV.

We watch it often and so far no problems in 3 years.

Comment

Thanks, ploal5333! What happens to EDTV once the HD conversion happens? Is that 2009 or 2010? Regardless, that's a short time from now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Thanks, ploal5333! What happens to EDTV once the HD conversion happens? Is that 2009 or 2010? Regardless, that's a short time from now!
                                Nothing that can't be remedied. It just means if your tv doesn't have a HD tuner built in, which in the EDTV's case, it does not, then you will need to buy a HD tuner and you can continue using your EDTV.

Regarding price, you may also want to check out Costco as they carry a few flat screens and priced competitively as well. The Vizio brand seems to be a bargain and Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

Comment

Working...
                                X