"24"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "24"

Boy, I love this show. So glad it's back.

Re: "24"

I'm liking Season 6 so far. It's a bit dystopian, but it still brings Jack to new territory, like torturing his own brother, for instance :P

Comment

Just a couple of minutes ago I wrote a post about it on my blog.

I have never seen the show, though. Heh.

Comment

Is life imitating art in Iraq? Apparently the Army thinks so. Representatives spoke with the producers of "24" because they feared that troops in Iraq, who apparently consider "24" on of their favorite shows, were using the same torture tactics that they saw portrayed on the TV show.

The Fox show producers retorted that they are careful not to glamorize torture. They said their fictional "Counter Terrorist Unit" agent Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland, never enjoys inflicting pain. Finnegan and his experts disagreed, stating Bauer remains coolly rational after committing barbarous acts, including the decapitation of a state's witness with a hacksaw, Mayer reported.

Tony Lagouranis, a former Army interrogator in Iraq and one of the meeting's participants, told the show's staff that "24" DVDs are circulated widely in Iraq. Lagouranis told Mayer, "People watch the shows, and then walk into the interrogation booths and do the same things they've just seen."

Lagouranis added, "I used severe hypothermia, dogs, and sleep deprivation. I saw suspects after soldiers had gone into their homes and broken their bones, or made them sit on a Humvee's hot exhaust pipes until they got third-degree burns. Nothing happened."

Joe Navarro, an FBI official who has conducted some 12,000 prisoner interviews, attended the meeting. He said torture was not an effective response, explaining, "These are very determined people, and they won't turn just because you pull a fingernail out."

Joel Surnow, co-creator and executive producer of "24," told The New Yorker's Mayer, "We've had all of these torture experts come by recently, and they say, 'You don't realize how many people are affected by this. Be careful.' They say torture doesn't work. But I don't believe that."

"Young interrogators don't need our show. What the human mind can imagine is so much greater than what we show on TV. No one needs us to tell them what to do. It's not like somebody goes, 'Oh, look what they're doing, I'll do that.' Is it?"

The delegation of interrogators left the meeting, Mayer wrote, "with the feeling that the story lines on '24' would be changed little, if at all." Lagouranis said of the Fox producers, "They were a bit prickly. They have this money-making machine and we were telling them it's immoral."
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100327/..._tv/us_tv24_13

Man, Jack!

Comment

Working...
          X