Moving to Honolulu... Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Honolulu... Maybe

Aloha! I am a high school graduate, 20 years of age, single, no kids. and was wondering if it would be possible for me to live in honolulu (if not, any other city suggestions are appreciated) maybe renting on my own or with a roomate - I hav no problem living simply - just wanna know if its at all possible . thanks!

Re: moving to honolulu ... maybe

Originally posted by muscleman522 View Post
    Aloha! I am a high school graduate, 20 years of age, single, no kids. and was wondering if it would be possible for me to live in honolulu (if not, any other city suggestions are appreciated) maybe renting on my own or with a roomate - I hav no problem living simply - just wanna know if its at all possible . thanks!
    Anybody can try to live in Hawai'i, but tell us why and what you have to offer. Hawai'i is a very expensive place to live.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I am guessing because I just feel like I have to somehow... its very hard to explain - as far as for what I offer - where I am right now, I am well liked and known for being friendly, I work very hard and try to help out when I can - but it still seems like I don't really belong here - like I said its kind of hard to explain - as far as what I can do, only the jobs that any high school grad can do - I do hear a lot about the police kobs that are rampantly available - maybe I can do something like that... at any rate, I have absolutely no problem living simply, and with others, if that wat it takes. well I g2g now cuz my break's over, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts! many thanks,
      -chris

Comment

Where do you live now? And what kinds of jobs do you think you want to have? There are lots of jobs in the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants)

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Where do you live now? And what kinds of jobs do you think you want to have? There are lots of jobs in the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants)

Miulang
          Tita Miulang, the young man said he "hear a lot about the police kobs that are rampantly available!"

Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Tita Miulang, the young man said he "hear a lot about the police kobs that are rampantly available!"

Lynn

lol yeah about that one, i was usin a pocket pc/cell phone to write it at work (where im not even supposed to have it haha).

I am from kansas - Its cold as heck right now - im lookin forward to summer lol. anyway, i have a job with the postal service right now, and i make around 15 an hour - as far as what kind of jobs i would like in Hawaii, i would gladly work anything, but ive been having really good luck with the govt and county jobs lately, and id really like to try as a "metropolitan police recruit" (as advertised on honolulu advertiser). when it comes to living, i dont need any extra stuff - cable tv, internet - i can live without it. All i need is a place to sleep, put my stuff, eat, and go to work. The great thing about hawaii is the best parts of it are free - the ocean, beaches, mountains, and best of all the hospitality. I dont plan on making the move for a year or so, but as an ex scout, i still stick with the "be prepared" motto very well - always have a well - thought out plan greatly influenced by the opinions of people more experienced than me. lol sorry my posts are so long, im even more long winded in person haha - so anyway, how long y'all been living in hawaii?

Comment

Aloha muscleman522! At twenty years old, having a job with the Postal Service is darn good. I applaud you for having goals and dreams. I always tell everyone to reach for their dreams no matter how high. However, in your case...I'm gonna give it to you straight. You may not like what I have to say but it is the reality of what exists in Hawaii.

We have an enormous problem of Hunger and Homelessness due to High cost of living. There are jobs but it is scarce even for our own people. Most of the jobs require college degrees if you really want a good paying one. Yes, there are jobs available at convenient stores and the like which is mostly held by those already working one or two jobs already.

Many come to Hawai'i looking for their dream. Only to find themselves on the street. How do I know? I meet them every Saturday when I help feed the hungry and homeless at KauKau Wagon.

If you decide to come. You must have a plan and not just hop on a plane and expect paradise. It is far from it. Another option could be for you to transfer from where you work to here within the Postal Pool. But then again...you would have the problem of acquiring housing. Would your pay be enough to rent a unit which you desire here in Hawai'i?

As far as putting an application in with Honolulu Police Department. The process alone takes time. Thousands of applicants are processed and interviewed. By the time they reach HPD'S Academy ~ less than 50 are chosen from the thousands who applied. From that amount ~ sometimes only half graduate to become HPD Police Officers.

Whatever you choose, wherever you may go...I wish you well.

God Bless

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Moving to Honolulu... Maybe

You could move to Washington State. Just today, there was a front page story about the shortage of police personnel. The pay is better than what you'd get in Hawai'i too, and the cost of living is less (slightly) than it is in Hawai'i. In fact, there are lots of former Honolulu Police Dept. officers working in this state (they got recruited away from Hawai'i with signing bonuses and other perks).

The weather here is not as extreme as Kansas (we don't have tornadoes very often), and you aren't living on an island which means travelling outside the state is relatively easy compared to Hawai'i. Plus, if you like being in the outdoors, the Pacific NW is one of the best places to be: never gets too hot or too cold (usually )

Here's the story from the Seattle Times. BTW: if you currently work for the Postal Service, isn't there a way you could transfer to another State? That to me would be easier than moving someplace with no job. My dad was a postmaster and my bro still works for the post office. Yeah, there's a lot of politics involved with working for the postoffice, but it's a pretty secure job if you can get in.

Sample police rookie wages in some western WA cities:

Pay for new police officers varies widely across the state, as shown in a 2005 salary survey ranking 121 departments. Dollar amounts represent an entry-level officer's monthly base salary, before taxes.

1. Edmonds Police Department $4,401

24. Everett Police Department $3,873

29. Seattle Police Department$3,849

54. Pierce County Sheriff's Office $3,648

58. Bellevue Police Department $3,627

61. Washington State Patrol $3,598

74. King County Sheriff's Office $3,483

89. Snohomish County Sheriff's Office $3,405

Source: Washington State Patrol Troopers Association
                Good luck.

Miulang

Comment

You'd be better off doing what I told the other guy wanting to come to the Big Island. Get a part time job at a big box retailer in your area then transfer to a Honolulu store. This way your employment track is intact and you have a job waiting for you when you arrive.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

lol sorry i havent replied yet - im at work and they r cracking down on celphone use - ill get on tomorrow when im off and can actually sit down for a minute and read em - thanks for your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      You'd be better off doing what I told the other guy wanting to come to the Big Island. Get a part time job at a big box retailer in your area then transfer to a Honolulu store. This way your employment track is intact and you have a job waiting for you when you arrive.

I second that...
                      When I fled for California
                      The job that I was working at in Pearlridge I luckily transferred to another store that was willing to take me. I had to go thru a telephone interview at first but the store manager liked me.
                      Save up some extra $$$ cuz ya may need it for temporary living quaters while you shop around for your sorta temporary pad to whatever you can afford and work on getting a better one in the long run.
                      Do some searchin on the internet of the islands so you get some idea where you wanna go from there. I suggest having a plan to work with.

Comment

WOW this thread has really taken off! thanks you all for replying -
                        like i said - i have no idea when or if i plan to move - and honolulu is not set in stone ... i have been reading and kinda fancy the big island - small town feeling and low violent crime. anyway, yeah it is very sad when locals cant get a job in their own land cuz greedy rich white corporate *umm im not gonna say it but everyone knows the word* have raised the bar too high for most people. as for location - hawaii is just one place - i have considered cali, florida, and even greece as well - looking to get into surfing. anyway, I surely will not move unless i have more than 10 grand saved up, probably more. wherever i move, probably wont happen until about 3 years or so - through college or something - go 2 school here and transfer maybe i dunno. The type of position i handle at the post office is a "transitional employee" or "casual" positon - transfer is limited to other remote encoding centers which are closing at an alarming rate (but if i stick it out another couple years a career position is more probable - my original plan). The idea of finding a "big box retailer" and transferring was pretty genius too - do you know of any good ones? even if i dont move to hawaii, this would come in handy for other states...
                        anyway, thank you all very much for taking the time to reply - the individual views that you all offer are extremely helpful in my decision.

thanks again,
                        chris

Comment

In Honolulu there are the bulk of big box retailers:

K-Mart, Walmart, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Costco.

On the Big Island you won't find Best Buy but the rest mentioned above are on the Big Island.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X