Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedestrians

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    While I'm on a roll---strollers. Someone should tell those jogging moms that strollers are not to be confused with cowcatchers. They should not be used to run interference on sidewalks and in stores.
    I'll take the defensive on strollers. When I would go to a store with my kid in the stroller w/cup holders, there's always a group of people standing in the middle of a doorway, aisle or prominade jabbing away while people walk around them. I run into them.

They get all huffy and I stare at them with this nonverbal look that says, "Hey stupid your ignorant chatting is right where people need to be walking so move the F*ck outta da way".

Having a baby stroller at Ala Moana shopping center on a Saturday is a great way to clear the path
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yesterday in Waikiki, HPD patrol officers on foot stood by crosswalks and stopped motorists at random to educate them on the new pedestrian law. My girlfriend was stopped, which the officer simply handed her this flyer...

Then, just as she carried on driving, a (tourist) pedestrian not far down from where the police were standing J-walked across Kalakaua ave..

The City & County should post SIGNS with the pedestrian law all around our island's roads. Or at least in areas with heavy foot traffic such as downtown and waikiki.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I'll take the defensive on strollers. When I would go to a store with my kid in the stroller w/cup holders, there's always a group of people standing in the middle of a doorway, aisle or prominade jabbing away while people walk around them. I run into them.

They get all huffy and I stare at them with this nonverbal look that says, "Hey stupid your ignorant chatting is right where people need to be walking so move the F*ck outta da way".

Having a baby stroller at Ala Moana shopping center on a Saturday is a great way to clear the path
        after the first kid, I was so over the stroller. From then on, a baby carrier (front for when they were small, backpack for when they were big and two diapers + baby wipe traveler pack and I was good for whatever I needed to do. Everything extra sat in the car. Travel light, move fast.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Yesterday in Waikiki, HPD patrol officers on foot stood by crosswalks and stopped motorists at random to educate them on the new pedestrian law. My girlfriend was stopped, which the officer simply handed her this flyer...
          Then, just as she carried on driving, a (tourist) pedestrian not far down from where the police were standing J-walked across Kalakaua ave..

The City & County should post SIGNS with the pedestrian law all around our island's roads. Or at least in areas with heavy foot traffic such as downtown and waikiki.
          It's not a pedestrian law. It's a driving law.

From that flyer it looks like drivers are supposed to be able to stop on a dime and pedestrians don't have to pay attention at all. They just have to make sure they are positioned correctly in the road or in imminent danger of being hit.

Then whatever happens isn't their fault.

I get it now.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
            From that flyer it looks like drivers are supposed to be able to stop on a dime and pedestrians don't have to pay attention at all.
            A know. I'd like to put a group together and get photos of prominent positions violating the law. Just need to get someone to put a foot into the crosswalk as they're passing. Sometimes the best way to deal with a dumb law is to enforce it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              In driving downtown, I see a lot of bad pedestrians. Rarely do a see a bad driver that's a danger to pedestrians. So it irks me no end when Lingle tries to up the penalties for failing to stop for someone in a cross walk. Cars need stopping distance. Walkers don't. Sheesh.
              R U serious? Come on now. There's just as many idiotic drivers as there are idiotic pedestrians. I've seen sooo many drivers turn right on red without even stopping, almost plowing into the pedestrians crossing the adjacent street. This problem is a 2-way street (no pun intended)--when 2 idiots meet, something bad is bound to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
                R U serious?
                I didn't say I never saw a bad driver, just far fewer bad drivers then bad pedestrians. Maybe just the luck of the route I drive.

Now, if I want to find bad drivers, I'd just hang out at Bishop and King on the off-rush hour time. Maybe it's changed since they improved the light, but it used to be every few light cycles someone wouldn't quite get the concept of "left turn on green arrow only" and try to turn with pedestrians in the walk.

Comment

Since I can at times log 70 miles a week either running or walking at times I think I have a unique perspective of what it is like to be a pedestrian in Honolulu more than the average person. I can tell you this that almost every single day I run into so many incidents in which drivers simply do not pay attention because they are in a rush or on a cell phone. It has gotten much worse with cell phone use for drivers, sometimes I have counted 10-20 cars in a row that have had drivers talking on their phones and not paying attention when they turn or cross a crosswalk. I often have asked myself what is everyone in such a hurry about it's not as if anyone has to travel very far, I mean we're on an island, not driving state to state and want to reach Motel 6 in Palm Springs by dusk. What is the deal with everyone going so damn fast??

I used to think sometimes if I had my son and his stroller that things would be different but we often have had many a close call and there is nothing I can do about it other than take down their license but what does that do if nobody is caught in the act so to speak.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                    I always wished they'd introduce some kind of road system in Costco, so people have to say in the proper lane, have to stay in a lane to turn, with pull-offs for browing--and maybe some traffic lights.

At least give us all free knee pads and elbow pads and helmets.
                    i always said that they should only issue carts to people with drivers licenses and put down lane markers too! but seeing as how people WITH licenses dont know how to drive, it wouldnt make much difference.

the worst is when theres a free sample booth. one lady was completely obstructing the small path by the freezer section and looked at me and said 'oh am i blocking your path?' lady, do you need to absolutely grab not 1 sample but 5 of those meatballs? can you not afford to eat lunch outside? its just $1.50 for a hotdog. <grrrr>

and then youll be pushing a flatbed full of soda and some tard will do a sudden stop, resulting in you almost either a) running into them or b) pitching the contents of your cart onto the ground.

i move fast. i get what i need and get out. ive been guilty of accidentally nipping at someones heels because they move so damn slow.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      It has gotten much worse with cell phone use for drivers, sometimes I have counted 10-20 cars in a row that have had drivers talking on their phones and not paying attention when they turn or cross a crosswalk.
                      You could always carry one of those canned air horns they have at football games. I bet that'd get their attention if they started to cut across your crosswalk

Comment

This is getting ridiculous...three pedestrian/vehicle accidents in Honolulu in one day? I know most of the time it's because pedestrians aren't using crosswalks, but for the times that they are, are the walk lights in Honolulu the kind that not only start flashing "wait" when the cycle is nearly over, but also have a "counter" that lets pedestrians know how many more seconds they have to get across the street before the light turns green? If you don't, maybe installing those would help pedestrians get across the street more safely. That, and enforcing the rule that once in a crosswalk, cars have to come to a complete stop for the pedestrian.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The accident that occurred in the Pua Lane/Liliha Area is known to have Pedestrian Accidents. In fact, last year a man was killed. The suspect is still not found. The light poles are a reminder of his death as they continue to have flowers, balloons and whateva's on them as a memorial. To me it's become an eyesore and a distraction.

The whole area is dangerous and Officials betta start doing sumting before another pedestrian gets hurt or killed! For one thing it's DARK!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I just seen a PSA (Public Service Announcement) TV ad the other night on slowing down in school zones. They depict a father driving his son to school, not paying attention to the road, and a mom and daughter about to enter a crosswalk. Then the skidding brakes sound. Pretty eye-opening and effective. Actually scary, having you think they were gonna' show the aftermath.

But, I thought it was going to be for the new pedestrian law, not "Slow Down in School Zones". Where's the "Pedestrian Law" PSA? I never seen that one yet.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              I know most of the time it's because pedestrians aren't using crosswalks, but for the times that they are, are the walk lights in Honolulu the kind that not only start flashing "wait" when the cycle is nearly over, but also have a "counter" that lets pedestrians know how many more seconds they have to get across the street before the light turns green? If you don't, maybe installing those would help pedestrians get across the street more safely.
                              Miulang
                              Most of our pedestrian lights are the older kind with only the flashing light warning. The only one with a counter I've seen is on Keeaumoku near Walmart, a high traffic and high pedestrian zone. Very smart move to put one there. Wonder how much time and how many more accidents it will take to change more of the lights to the ones with counters? (Although I've still seen a few people ignore the counters and continue to walk slowly once they make it to the crosswalk, even as it comes to zero, sigh...).

Comment

ok so i was always the irritated driver waiting to turn when people were crossing slowly but ever since some older woman HIT ME with her car after stopping for me to cross then getting mad and going anyway. i think she was trying to scare me and thought she was going to just pass closely... but can you believe that? i was SO mad. what's funny is how she was in traffic and couldn't go anywhere after it happened. i don't want to admit to what i did next. um, so i won't

but that's my pedestrian story. today when i was crossing vineyard from queen emma (the walk sign that says "walk" for 15 seconds on a HUGE crossing) someone waiting to turn got mad at me. i'm not old-- i was walking super brisk to get across. screw you, mad driver. i'm ALLOWED to cross the street. ugh.

i don't really have a point here. i'm just saying... i've been on both sides. drivers shouldn't get mad at people for wanting to walk, though. these careless pedestrians are annoying but it seems like they are creating this anger in drivers that are all taking it out on ME.... the considerate pedestrian.
                                life is ok sometimes

Comment

Working...
                                X