Treo 700wx or Moto Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treo 700wx or Moto Q

Ok, so the story is... my last trip out to hawaii included my old LG cellphone being dropped into some salt water off of Lanikai beach. It's dried out and been dismantled and 'most' of the functions work. So I'd like to get a new phone. After all the Iphone hoopla I've decided I don't want one but want to get a pda style phone instead. One with Blue tooth, a camera, e-mail capabilities, and web stuff. I've got sprint and have had sprint for a long time. I'd like to get a treo700wx but it's rather expensive. ALTHOUGH, I've seen it on ebay at affordable (to me) prices. I've got $300 to burn on the phone. I was also looking at the Motorola Moto Q phone. This one I can get through sprint for under $300 once my plan comes up for renewal the 1st of March.

Does anyone have either of these? PZ... you've got a treo right? Anyone have likes/dislikes with either of these?
    -kp!

Re: Treo 700wx or Moto Q

I have a Treo 700p on Sprint, with the data plan (no live TV though). I'll never carry a Windows device (so the newest Treo incarnation is not in the cards for now). But the 700p? I love it. It runs my life.

I'm figuring I'm finally going to leave it for an iPhone, but I've followed the PalmOS line way back, and had the 600 and 650 before the 700p. Lightweight, stable, simple.

I don't know much about the Motorola Q, except that it was highly derivative of the Treo. Having fiddled with other "smartphones," the one maddening thing they lack that the Treos always offered was a touch screen. I hate clicking down down down to scroll to an item on a list when on a Treo, I can just tap it and be there.

Comment

I cast my vote for ... neither!

There are so many new PDA phones coming down the pipe in the next 9mos that you'll kick yourself if you "settle" now.

The iPhone is the coolest idea Apple's had since ... the Newton! I see its design driving the cell phone industry the same way the iPod did for MP3 players.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I just got my Treo 700wx but that was after I returned my Moto Q.

The Moto Q has the thumbwheel that allows for one-hand operation howeve because it's so thin (0.5" thick) it tends to flop around in your hand

The Treo 700wx on the other hand feels great to hold with it's contoured back.

Like PZ I think I'd prefer the 700p over the wx. The 700p is the Palm-based version of the Treo as opposed to the Windows Mobile that's offered on the 700wx.

One good feature of the 700p is the calender button. But one great feature of the 700wx is that you can have a calender view of the entire year at a glance. That comes in handy.

As for PDA style smart phones, if you drive and talk, better get used to using voice command dialing as those little buttons aren't the easiest way to tap out a phone number. Also the Treo 700wx doesn't have a dedicated button to bring up the touchpad dialing pad.

The Treo is definately not the kind of phone you want to be fumbling around with while driving. That's why I use my Moto Razr when I drive.

I think the coolest feature on my Treo 700wx is the female voice that will tell you who's calling or when your next scheduled event is coming up.

I like the Treo 700wx and if you're planning on jumping onto the Vista bandwagon, you can dump your active sync because Vista has it already integrated with the OS.

Another interesting about the 700wx over the 700p is that if you have an MSN Hotmail email, the Treo 700wx will notify you when you have an incoming email (same goes for POP 3 and IMAP).

Between the Moto Q and the 700wx is one very glaring fact about the differences between the two regarding editing documents.

The Treo 700wx comes with Word/Excel/PPT mobile applications that will allow you to view and edit MS Office documents. The Moto Q uses a third party application that will only allow you to view MS documents but not edit them.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

GAH! Which to get?

My Sprint contract ended about a year ago and even though my Sanyo phone's been the most loyal and reliable for 2 1/2 years, it's time for me to bite the bullet and get a smart phone. I have a generous tax refund that'll allow me to do so!

I know everyone and their mothers will be scurrying to get the new iPhone in a few months, but because Cingular has exclusive rights to it for a while, Sprint won't be carrying it anytime soon. I've had a great relationship with Sprint (dating back to the PrimeCo days!) for the past 10 years and I have no intentions of leaving them now.

I've narrowed my field down to the Moto Q and the Treos 700p & 700wx because Sprint has such a wide variety to choose from .

The Q seems like it should be the obvious choice because it's about $150 cheaper than the Treos. The Treos, btw, are the same price. Still, I don't mind shelling out the extra money if it means more features I can use for work and that the phone will have a long life. I know of people who have had other versions of the Treo and became frustrated because they died in about a year.

From the reviews of each on CNET, they rate about the same but I still don't know what to get! TV & Music is nice, but this phone's going to be used primarily for work stuff.

HT phone gurus...HELP!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

The Moto Q has had quite a few returns to Verizon from inside sources. For me there just wasn't the fit and finish that the Treo or even the Blackberrys have. The Moto Q just felt cheap holding it.

I'm happy with my Treo but one thing I wish it did have was voice dialing. With the small dial pad it's hard to dial out. Pick you poisons but I'd rather die with my Treo than a Moto Q.

The Blackberry is another cool phone but it lacks a camera function.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wound up getting the Q. I personally LOVE my new phone! After holding the Q vs the Blackberry, There was no comparison. the Blackberry felt like crap to me. PLUS, if the wheel on a blackberry goes south... you're SOL. The Q has the D pad as well as the wheel. That said, there are a lot of features that I wish the Q had that it lacks. From what i've read, if you're more for business, get a Treo. I'm not sure what a Treo comes with built in but here are some notable things that the Q does NOT do with built in apps:

SMS picture messaging (you actually have to e-mail pics)
              MS Office Document handling (requires 3rd party app)
              AIM
              Sprint TV
              Itunes (no Windows mobile device has Itunes yet)

As for my Q, I use the MSN messenger from time to time. Text messages frequently, E-mails frequently, Camera/Video occasionally, IE more often than i should (even visit HT hehe), Calendar Occasionally (wife uses her calendar daily) Oh yeah and Phone! If you decide to stick with sprint, definitely check out This thread on everythingq.com My wife and I wound up getting 2 Q's for $99 each and % off our montly bill. I was a month away from my $75 discount and she was 4 months away from her $150 discount. Call sprint and be sure to get to a retentions dept rep. You'll get far with one of them. If you're not in contract, there's the SERO program which is the Sprint Employee Referal Offer or something like that. Apparently you can get set up with a discounted plan.
              -kp!

Comment

So I went and got myself the 700wx and I'm absolutely loving it so far. In fact, this msg is being posted from my new bad boy!

ActiveSync is taking forever to dl, but I really have no choice.

My poor best friend...I sent her a txt bragging about my new phone & she was pissed off. She had to go to Verizon to fix/replace her Q. It's only less than a month old!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  So I went and got myself the 700wx and I'm absolutely loving it so far. In fact, this msg is being posted from my new bad boy!

ActiveSync is taking forever to dl, but I really have no choice.

My poor best friend...I sent her a txt bragging about my new phone & she was pissed off. She had to go to Verizon to fix/replace her Q. It's only less than a month old!
                  Congrats on the new phone! Smartphones are real fun! Don't brag too much lol karma's gonna bite I've read my share of horror stories for the 700wx's as well.

Curious... did it come with WM 5 or 6?
                  -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                    Curious... did it come with WM 5 or 6?
                    It's Windows Mobile 5.

I need to be really careful in the meantime because I'm still waiting on a case. I would've bought the one from the store, but the $40 price tag it came with made me turn to eBay instead!

Comment

Craig and others who have the wx,

So like a dweeb I've been playing with my new phone all day and even started reading threads at EverythingTreo.com.

What applications and programs do you think I should download? Free/To Purchase, doesn't matter.

I've already dl-ed Google Maps because I'm sure it'll come in handy. I've been reading that MRing's a must-get if I want to add cool ringtones and I'm thisclose to buying it, but as always I question the $19.99 pricetag, especially if there's a better, cheaper program out there that I can use. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

You can't just upload Mp3's to the phone and use them as ringtones?
                        -kp!

Comment

You can't just upload Mp3's to the phone and use them as ringtones?
                          You can, it's just that I'd prefer 20-30 second ringtones as opposed to having the whole song taking up all that room.

I miss being able to just log on to Sprint.com, dl the ringtone, and having it sent to the phone via text msg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            You can, it's just that I'd prefer 20-30 second ringtones as opposed to having the whole song taking up all that room.

I miss being able to just log on to Sprint.com, dl the ringtone, and having it sent to the phone via text msg.
                            Bah... Don't pay for shortened ringtones. Send me an e-mail and I'll we'll talk.
                            -kp!

Comment

Bah... Don't pay for shortened ringtones. Send me an e-mail and I'll we'll talk.
                              So I spent a big chunk of today yet again trying to figure everything out, and I finally settled on Audacity to help me cut 20-30 seconds from my mp3s.

I'm absolutely loving this because as long as the mp3's in my library, I can have whatever ringtone I want now...for free! I know this all seems like trivial stuffs to you more "seasoned" phone and software people, but once I figured out how to do all this you'd think I went and found the cure for cancer or something because that's how accomplished I felt.

Now my sister's jumped onto the Treo bandwagon and bought one for herself today. Being that she has neither the time nor the patience to personalize her phone like this, I'm gladly doing it for her! She just about fell off her chair when "IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!" (her Alma Mater) started playing from her phone!

Comment

Working...
                              X