where did you learn how to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did you learn how to drive?

I am creating a thread and I was wondering where did you learn how to drive? I am learning how to drive through a private driving school.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Re: where did you learn how to drive?

When I was 14 I had a 16 year old boyfriend. Shhhh...don't tell! He had an older sister who owned a 1952 Corvette. I learned to drive in that car on the track/football field at Laguna Beach High School...on Sundays...late!

OMG...that was so much fun!

Then my dad decided to teach me how to drive when I was 15. Round and round the Boat Canyon Shopping Center parking lot we'd go. He didn't know that I already knew!!!

Then 2nd semester of my sophomore year at LBHS I had to take drivers ed. By then I was an ol' hand! Got an "A".

My 16th birthday fell on a Sunday. I was sooooo pi$$ed that I had to wait 'til Monday to get my license!

Comment

High school - midwest - wintertime. The concept was "if you can drive in this, you can handle anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
        I am creating a thread and I was wondering where did you learn how to drive? I am learning how to drive through a private driving school.
        Excuse me! You started a thread on the same topic on Feb. 7th.
        http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11895

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          Excuse me! You started a thread on the same topic on Feb. 7th.
          http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11895

Auntie Lynn
          Oh man...such a good memory, Auntie! Just wait 'til you hit your 60s! Poof! Gone!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Oh man...such a good memory, Auntie! Just wait 'til you hit your 60s! Poof! Gone!
            oh Puhlease! I'm in my 40s and I forget everything! And you know what? Most of the time the world is a better place because I don't bring up having to pick up laundry, dig up melted candies in wrappers from litle girls' jeans that have been through the washer and dryer, or where I dropped my keys last Friday (had to get a new set).

As for learning how to drive, my dad taught me in the 1972 VW Bug, a four-speed stick, in the parking lot of Moorestown High School in New Jersey. I think I was in something like five accidents in the first year of driving. Would you believe none was my fault? Neither did my mother. One old man took me to court and witnesses who appeared explained to the judge how HE ran a stop sign. My first car was a 1974 MGB. Olive green, LEMON.

Which inspires me to start this thread.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I hate to admit that I do not know how to drive. I've always lived in cities where a car was not necessary, then if I needed to go anywhere far, I'd take a cab to the airport and fly off.

I really do need to learn to drive here, not that I find a car necessary, but for my job, it'd help a lot if I did.
              n'importe

Comment

in reality? High school's drivers ed.

in games? either it was in Gran Turismo 2 or 3 or in Grand Theft Auto 3.

How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Age 16, in our old Fargo truck, three speed floor-mounted stick shift, by our neighbor man. Passed the road test two days before the 60-day learner's permit expired. I send my kids to private driving instructors. Drivers' education classes have been too full.

Anyone else remember FARGO?

Comment

During closed hours on Windward Community College campus. Same for King Intermediate School (both in Kaneohe).

Keep in mind, when you take your driver's road test, they make you parallel park on a STEEP HILL on this suburb st. near Kaneohe Police Station. Do not take your test on a standard shift if you're not really good at it!

I learned and received my license on an automatic, then soon after getting my license (@ 18 y/o), my folks bought me a brand new Mazda pick-up truck with STANDARD SHIFT. Within a week with the truck, I accidentally popped the clutch while reversing in a tight parking lot and crushed the rear left (steel) bumper in. I was soooo pissed at myself. My folks just said, "well, you have to pay to repair that yourself". I never did (it would've costed over $800 at the repair shop). Just lived with it the entire life of the truck.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

i learned how to drive from an instructor at the not-so-tender-age-driving-wise of 21. i knew better than to learn from momola, who even now still insists on NOT looking behind her but depending only on her mirrors when doing things like switching lanes, which vexes me to no end. she is also one of those who drives 40 in the fast lane on a non-trafficky day.

luckily for most of us who post here, she now lives in portland, OR.

i'll need to hire someone to teach me to drive stick sometime this year, bcs i refuse refuse refuse to buy an auto MINI cooper s, and the beau is not a good teaching candidate. eric's a patient guy, generally, but he claims he's as impatient when it comes to driving lessons.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

My dad taught me how to drive in our old Mazda station wagon on the back roads of Waimanalo. Fond memories, those.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

High school driver's ed and my best pal "smoking" buddy in his 62 Chevy II, 3 spd. column shift, back in the late 60's. Them was shining times fer sure.

Comment

Learned to drive? On an open ranchland somewhere on the Big Island. 1960 Willys Pick-Up truck. 3 speed manual stick with 4WD. Later went on to International Harvester Pickup truck, 1967 model. I was a kid at first. Dad taught me. Thanx!
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I am a (proud) woman driver....and I learned to drive from men! Dad first taught me to drive in a school parking lot...I was 14. At 18 a boyfriend taught me to drive a standard.
                              Lovena

Comment

Working...
                              X